HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:54 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,400 Posts
Yeah- get regular party streamers from the dollar store or wherever you can pick them up the cheapest.

Crime scene tape (the plastic stuff) works ok too but I think it's heavier.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:59 PM
Livin' the Dream
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Dec 2011
51 Posts
Yo TOM can you link me to the preferred wire and tute on how to rewind the 2812?
Promo is offline Find More Posts by Promo
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:14 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,400 Posts
Yup- This is the real deal here. This stuff is rated for 300 degrees C
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...how&ref=MD24MW

The video demonstration here
Motor Winding Tutorial (HobbyKing CF2812) (10 min 56 sec)
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:17 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
913 Posts
And if I may, I really think this image will be a good reference, after watching the video. Might give you a good idea of the path of the wire. Watch the video first, and this diagram will make sense.

I think the most popular route is 9 winds of the 24g wire that Tom linked to.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:18 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austang View Post
I finally finished the third Assassin, here is a couple of pics,

Nice! You may need sunglasses
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:56 AM
TM1
Joined Jan 2012
78 Posts
Today was my 2nd attempt to control the assassin and it was just great !!!
On the 1st try I just couldn't control it. Crashed after a few seconds tried again and crashed ...
Went home and did some homework on the Tx.
I dialed the control surfaces to the right throw, set a large amount of expo (50%) on both ailerons and elevator.
And today went to take my chance and what a difference ! Great control. Very stable. fly like a scalpel.
Now I need to put some contrast on it for top/bottom orientation.
LOVE IT !
TM1 is online now Find More Posts by TM1
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:13 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,929 Posts
I am glad you got her flying.

For the record, I am not an expo fan. There are many who disagree with me but what I find is people have too much throw and try to control it with expo instead of turning the throws down. Expo makes the plane feel like it is not in control to me. I have had new flyers who were having trouble that stopped having trouble when I turned the expo off.

Double check your throws and turn them down rather than adding expo at least as an experiment and let me know if that makes it easier. Put the push rod near the center of the servo arm and at the top of the elevon horn to maximize leverage.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:42 AM
TM1
Joined Jan 2012
78 Posts
Thanks Lee,
Now that I have it dialed I'll try to play with the programming and search for the sweet spot. I will update here.
It's a fun bird to fly. Good job on the design.
And you can put a new flag on your world map. After centuries, the assassin returned to the holy land.
TM1 is online now Find More Posts by TM1
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:25 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
The GWS ESC will probably be fine.
But I've never had a problem with the HK25-30 Card Programmable ESCs running the 2812 motor.
Luis -

I agree with the Ninja.

But I did have a little trouble with one of those ESCs on a 105 F (40+ C) day with a 8.5/9 turn rewound FC2812 motor with HS-82MG servos and an Orange RX. But the only thing that happened was the motor slowed way down (heat protection mode) but I was able to get her back home safely.

The Assassin had been in my trunk all day at work so ESC was probably pretty hot to start with. I first thought it was a bad battery so I tried flying it again with a fresh battery and the same thing happened.

I since upgraded to a 40a Turnigy Sentry ESC (discontinued) on that plane with no troubles since.

I reused the aforementioned HK25/30a Card Programmable ESC when we built my son's Assassin using a 9/9.5 turn rewound FC2812 with T-Pro MG90 servos and an Orange RX. No problems with it but probably have only flown it on days no hotter than 100 F (38 C).
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:20 AM
Livin' the Dream
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Dec 2011
51 Posts
Thanks Tom and el....I'll get some high temp wire on the way and give the 9 turns a try.

Is there a better choice of ESC than the cheap SS HK 25/30?
Promo is offline Find More Posts by Promo
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:05 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promo View Post
Thanks Tom and el....I'll get some high temp wire on the way and give the 9 turns a try.

Is there a better choice of ESC than the cheap SS HK 25/30?
Although I haven't used one on an Assassin yet, I currently like these F-30a ESCs as they are what the smart guys over in the quadrocopter threads are using (and even reflashing with custom firmware).

They have all "N" FETs rather than combination of "N" & "P" FETs like the HK SS. Having all "N" FETs is supposedly more efficient (less heat generated). They also have an external oscillator (whatever that means) which is supposed to be better than relying on the internal oscillator that the HK SS has.

Be sure to get the corresponding Programming Card to make it easy to change settings.

Of course they are both out of stock now
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:06 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
I use hobby wing funfly on my multis and planes. Castle on my helis
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:18 PM
Medford, Massachusetts USA
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
My Assassin

Finished my Assassin today. Hope to maiden in the next couple of days. I read and searched this thread for always helpful info but haven't read it all from page to page...yet.

Thought I would post my setup because it is a change from stock. I didn't want to wait to order the recomended motor, plus I just don't like to put a $10 motor on anything I fly. So I went with E-flite's Park 370 1360 kv, it was at the local hobby shop so I could get my hands on it ASAP. But because of the prop range recomended for this motor I had to go to an APC 8x6E instead of an APC 7x6E. I think, at leasts with hand hold tests it seems to have plenty of thrust and it also seems quieter than the 7x6. I suppose I'll have to see how it sounds in flight to be sure about that, I think my freind with his Assassin uses a 7x6. I also had to shorten my Elevons by 1/2 inch each to make space for the 1 inch longer prop. So that caused some pushrod changes (because I stupidly cut the stock pushrods for the original location forgetting about the extra prop clearence needed!).

Here is the setup:

Assassin: weight with motor and battery - 221/2 oz or 635 grams
Motor: E-flite Park 370 1360 KV
Prop: 8x6E APC
Lipo: 3s 2200 35c Hyperion
E-flite 30 Amp ESC (left over from an upgraded T-28)
Ground Test: 20.79 amps - 253 Watts (start up with full lipo)

My only mistake during the build was not leaving more space when originally taping the Elevons on. I had to cut them off and then tape them again with a little bit more space, now they move much easier.

Aside from the tape then laminate I decided I'd iron on some Econocoat on top too.

Thanks for all the great informaiton, I'll update after Maiden flight!......Great lights Austang!

Steve
Stevedots is offline Find More Posts by Stevedots
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:21 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Looks Awesome!! Let us know...
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:52 PM
Medford, Massachusetts USA
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Successful Maiden today!

In spite of the 15 to 20 mph winds I flew the Assassin about 6 times. The first hand launch was easier than I was expecting. I gave her a couple of clicks of up trim and a couple of clicks of left trim. With the winds knocking it around a bit I couldn't be real precise in my trimming but I feel like I have it pretty close. I was flying with two settings. Low rates set for the recomended 3/8 inch travel up and down with 40% expo. High rates was double the recomneded throw and with a 50% expo. I think it would feel the best somewhere in between. Or maybe I'll keep the settings, low for high speed, high rates for low speed. Either way the wind was knocking me around so I'll have to re-evaluate on a calm day but I'm very happy with this flying wing.

Only one thing to ask:

When at a 90 degree bank and making a hard left hand turn she seemed to stay pretty level. But when at a 90 degree bank and making a hard right hand turn she would descend in the hard turn unless I compensated. Is that something to get used to with a flying wing or will some type of aileron / elevon differencial help with that?

Thanks,

Steve
Stevedots is offline Find More Posts by Stevedots