HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:08 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bluhammer's Avatar
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,936 Posts
If you saw my video a few pages back, do you think the red rewinds go that much faster then the Powerup 370 Zoom motor I'm using?

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:30 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
skyhawk newbie's Avatar
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
PG flying not my scene but they do drop in now and then for a chat ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA_c2RZBHlw
Nice Vid.

I'm a R/C pilot and a Paraglider pilot ,

I have seen both the good side and bad side of Paraglider pilots and R/C glider pilots while in the same air space. I personally would never paraglide in the same air space with any R/C Gliders/Planes,niether would anybody in our Paragliding club (Riff-Raff Aviators).

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:32 AM
wheeeeee!
elCapitan's Avatar
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
If you saw my video a few pages back, do you think the red rewinds go that much faster then the Powerup 370 Zoom motor I'm using?
Judging purely by the video, I'd say the red rewind (assuming a 9-wind with 24g MD wire) is slightly faster, but comparable.

The big issue is cost in the long run. That Powerup 370 is priced OK, at about $14. But the little red 2812 can be found for about $6, and a spool of MD wire is about $15. The spool of wire is enough to re-wind many, many motors, too.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:42 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,016 Posts
I am also not comfortable with the hang gliders and para-gliders in the same airspace. I would hate to injure someone and they have a lot more at risk. I know locally they are frequently flying together and the RC flyers are taught to be extremely careful. The common factor is the need for the updrafts and so we often end up in the same areas flying.

I know RC flyers and manned flyers have their own launching points locally and it is usually the hang gliders and paragliders that come to where the RC flyers are flying. Some of them fly RC planes too and the club that manages the main sites communicates regularly with the hang gliders.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:53 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
skyhawk newbie's Avatar
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Judging purely by the video, I'd say the red rewind (assuming a 9-wind with 24g MD wire) is slightly faster, but comparable.

The big issue is cost in the long run. That Powerup 370 is priced OK, at about $14. But the little red 2812 can be found for about $6, and a spool of MD wire is about $15. The spool of wire is enough to re-wind many, many motors, too.
Just wondering ! What watts are you getting from the motor after the re-wind.


I was thinking of fitting a Hobbyking Floater-Jet Replacement motor

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18198
to my assassin when I get it.

I all ready have this motor fitted on another 1meter flying wing with a 6x4 prop and 25amp ESC and I'm getting 215watts at WOT.

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:39 AM
Registered User
hobie14's Avatar
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I am also not comfortable with the hang gliders and para-gliders in the same airspace. I would hate to injure someone and they have a lot more at risk. I know locally they are frequently flying together and the RC flyers are taught to be extremely careful. The common factor is the need for the updrafts and so we often end up in the same areas flying.

I know RC flyers and manned flyers have their own launching points locally and it is usually the hang gliders and paragliders that come to where the RC flyers are flying. Some of them fly RC planes too and the club that manages the main sites communicates regularly with the hang gliders.
I suspect the slope in my video is on a different scale to your location and the type of PG flying that Sean does ...... The most PG guys I've seen flying on our slope at the same time is one (1), so it's not a big deal to give them air time and vice - versa

Don't know why the guy landed so close to us ..... we were sitting down at a table having coffee and he just turned up beside us ...... I was filming him and so managed to home in on his landing ........ maybe he just wanted a cup of coffee ......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Last edited by hobie14; Oct 25, 2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:01 PM
Registered User
KC Flyer's Avatar
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
OK- Who was it that raised the challenge to try to burn out a rewind little red motor with the hot rewind and high temp wire?
I thought I had done it but turned out just to be a poor wire connection. I think I'm a believer. 300 watts and no cool down periods between flights, the motor mount hot enough to soften the hot glue used to mount it.
I don't recommend that anybody abuse these little motors like I have but I certainly have become a believer that the MD high temp rated wire is the only way to go!
That would be me! Thanks for putting it thru the paces. I always suspected that you can't hurt the MD wiring no matter how hard you fly. The bearings seem to hold up as long as they are oiled regularly. Maybe the glue holding the magnets on will fail but haven't had that problem either.

A very good motor for $6 and a little MD wire.

My buddy went one step further and prefers the 8 turn over the 9 turn. I'll have to try that next. I rewound one with 11 turns of 25 ga MD wire for a Snowball. I tore it up hitting a lamp post but the rewound part is still good.

It's fun experimenting with these motors.
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:40 PM
Planes in flames,,,
jetpackninja's Avatar
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,481 Posts
Agreed. It's been a fun process. A lot more fun now that I have ditched the radio shack wire. It's nice not to have to swap motors all the time.

There are always going to be quality issues and consistency issues with these motors. I've found big differences in the strength of the magnets from motor to motor. But for 6 bucks, I'll deal with it especially with the results I'm getting with the rewinds

For six bucks, I don't think there is a better motor for the Assassin.
For a little more than the time involved I don't think you can beat the little red rewinds.

Thought about trying one of these just for giggles but the 60 bucks I'll stick with the little red ones
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...ref=MDANmotors
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:07 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
I suspect the slope in my video is on a different scale to your location and the type of PG flying that Sean does ...... The most PG guys I've seen flying on our slope at the same time is one (1), so it's not a big deal to give them air time and vice - versa

Don't know wht the guy landed so close to us ..... we were sitting down at a table having coffee and he just turned up beside us ...... I was filming him and so managed to home in on his landing ........ maybe he just wanted a cup of coffee ......
I think we are slightly bigger. It isn't unusual to have 15 or more up at one time.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:51 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
billdad1's Avatar
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Here's my Assassin with the Headsuprc Powerup 370 Zoom motor. Best at HD quality.
Blu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy0KStYd16M
Bluhammer,
What prop are you using with that set up?
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:29 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bluhammer's Avatar
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdad1 View Post
Bluhammer,
What prop are you using with that set up?
6x4E APC with the supplied collet prop adapter with the motor. Two of us are flying it and it's awesome, it's like kicking into turbo mode.
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:22 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
billdad1's Avatar
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Thanks, I just placed my order for this motor to build my 2nd Assassin.
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:35 AM
Registered User
hobie14's Avatar
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I think we are slightly bigger. It isn't unusual to have 15 or more up at one time.
That would require some precise ATC .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:10 AM
Been There, Crashed That!
Austang's Avatar
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
573 Posts
I finally finished the third Assassin, here is a couple of pics,





Austang is online now Find More Posts by Austang
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:02 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
billdad1's Avatar
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Very Nice!!
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WALLY WING...no fins...flies great!!! gpw Foamies (Kits) 22 Sep 23, 2009 06:56 AM
Qjet Flamingo & Butterfly: A plane no one has!! romans1015 Parkflyers 6 Jan 29, 2004 04:05 PM
Qjet Flamingo & Butterfly: A plane no one has!! romans1015 Parkflyers 0 Jan 28, 2004 12:40 AM
Noob concept plane Mikey C. Foamies (Kits) 5 Nov 11, 2003 01:05 PM
It's a boat...It's a plane...no! It's flightship! MrBungle Electric Plane Talk 24 Jun 26, 2001 01:55 AM