HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
914 Posts
AWESOME! Sounds like a good time had by all.

Now you have to start challenging them to combat... the kind where you actually hit their plane out of the sky with your plane
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:42 AM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
569 Posts
We bought a three pack of Assassins from Lee and I don't have enough extreme tape to finish the third, I have enough laminate to double up on the coat of that, will this be strong enough to fly with, I don't intend to use this one for combat, I am just going to set it up with a bunch of different colored lights and use it as a night flier.
Austang is offline Find More Posts by Austang
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:19 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
914 Posts
You could get away with it, for sure, but it is definitely NOT going to be as strong. The lam and the tape serve two different purposes. Without the tape, you lose a lot of the strength that hold the wing together in a nose-first impact, whether it's from combat or just crashing on the ground or into tree trunks, which seems to be my favorite.

IOW, it'll fly fine, it just won't take a hit as fine. There's gotta be some vendor of e-tape or a similar product. In my opinion, you'd be better off waiting until you get the tape. You'll just be saving yourself repairs and even more laminate in the future.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:47 AM
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
569 Posts
Thanks elCapitan, I have some other bi-directional tape, so I will use this on the leading edge in between the layers of laminate, it looks the same as extreme tape, just a different adhesive, doesn't stick well to epo but sticks real well to the laminate.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:02 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
914 Posts
Sounds good. Actually, the tape itself has three functions, I guess you could say. On the leading edge, it protects from clipping branches or things like that. Over the spars, it helps keep any damage localized if the spar breaks or tries to bend outward. And the x-pattern from leading edge to trailing edge that crosses over the motor mount is very important; it helps keep the two halves from trying to separate with the inertia of a nose-in collision (the shock cord is also to help with this. Even if the halves don't separate, the more movement the wing halves experience, the more you lose stiffness and integrity in the plane).

So it might be worth it to tape it all, even if you don't think your bi-di tape sticks as well. Besides, the e-tape doesn't really stick that well to the foam either; it's only after you heat up the laminate over the top that the e-tape really grabs the foam, because you're melting the glue on the tape a bit. The tape you've got is probably just as good at performing those three functions. I'd use it.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:23 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austang View Post
We bought a three pack of Assassins from Lee and I don't have enough extreme tape to finish the third, I have enough laminate to double up on the coat of that, will this be strong enough to fly with, I don't intend to use this one for combat, I am just going to set it up with a bunch of different colored lights and use it as a night flier.
I have one Assassin that hasn't got any E-Tape that I did as one of the super light builds. Where we would use E-Tape I put a 2" strip of laminate. It is lighter and flies great and has been in combat for over two years. I have had a couple of tears I have had to repair that the other planes would not have had but the plane has held up amazingly well. The thick wing and the shock cord make a big difference to what the Assassin can do.

The main place to put the tape if you only have a little left is put a 1" wide piece top and bottom over the spar and at least the top side with a 1" strip along the hinge. We have had several flyers in foreign countries that can't get the E-Tape so they use packing tape with fibers in only one direction. If it doesn't stick as well to the foam you could try putting in on top of the laminate then cover it with a strip of laminate to protect it from UV light like we do on the hinge line. Keep the plane as light as possible. Some of the single direction tapes are quite heavy.

The hinge line around the horn on the elevon is under a great deal of stress and holds up better with reinforced tape with the fibers crossing the hinge line. The Shock Cord is very important if you use less tape. You can put double laminate around the leading edge but don't add too much weight behind CG or you will have trouble balancing the plane.

I have bought tape several times from this group. http://www.findtape.com/product328/J...x?SSAID=389818

Lee

Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Oct 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:30 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,941 Posts
We now have planes in 49 states. Doesn't anyone fly in Delaware?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
A couple on west coast canada too lol
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:04 PM
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
569 Posts
Thanks Lee, this is what I have, http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-8959-Bi.../dp/B00006XY3H
I will use this for the hinges as it will stick well over the laminate, and use what I have left of the extreme tape to cover the spar,
Will a double coat of laminate make it too heavy?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:58 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austang View Post
Thanks Lee, this is what I have, http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-8959-Bi.../dp/B00006XY3H
I will use this for the hinges as it will stick well over the laminate, and use what I have left of the extreme tape to cover the spar,
Will a double coat of laminate make it too heavy?
75% of the plane is behind the CG so if you cover the plane with 2 layers of laminate 75% of that weight will be behind the CG and make it hard to balance the plane. The laminate is strong. You don't need more than one layer behind CG.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:04 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
We love the ballistic Assassins just be aware with this much thrust you will have a missile for sure. Which prop are you using?

With a 7x6 on a 3530-1700kv you will be at the limit of both the ESC and could possibly puff the battery.

Maiden flight today
Lee you were right! It goes like a missile... I am used to having to give all my other wings, like the Zaggi, Combat wing XE2, Unicorn, and one or two others, a real hard throw/launch.
Wow! All I had to do with this one is let it go!! It just flies right out of my hand. What a huge difference.
I will be building another one to share but it will have a slightly lighter motor.
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:00 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,888 Posts
So you want a slightly lighter motor? Do you mind going really fast too? Want to impress your buddies flying stock Assassins? Do you want to wear a big grin the whole flight?

This is the answer: HeadsupRC Powerup 370 Zoom and a 6x4E APC prop.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:12 AM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
That one looks good and looks like about 16 oz of thrust with that prop.
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
So you want a slightly lighter motor? Do you mind going really fast too? Want to impress your buddies flying stock Assassins? Do you want to wear a big grin the whole flight?

This is the answer: HeadsupRC Powerup 370 Zoom and a 6x4E APC prop.

Blu
How does that compare to the rewound 2812? I get about 330-360 watts out of the 2812 on a fresh battery.
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:51 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomprat View Post
How does that compare to the rewound 2812? I get about 330-360 watts out of the 2812 on a fresh battery.
I forgot the watt measurement, maybe 290 @ 25A static, I'll re- measure again. I suspect it'll be more reliable then a rewind. With lots of WOT she comes down warm after 5-6 minutes on a 1300 3s 40c.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer