Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:48 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,879 Posts
Thanks guys. I went thru every attached photo on this thread and sure enough I've been bitching and whining about my Assassins lack of grunt and I've been flying the prop backwards . Ive learned something I'll never forget! I still think the prop saver holds the prop better when it's backwards but it is what it is. Man if it flies so good before I can't wait to fly her now!
Thanks for the support.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Battery options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
The instructions say to cut the battery slot laterally and let the battery ride on it's side - so during an impact the battery won't absorb the shock through it's entire length. Makes sense.

However, I have many 3S battery brands of different weight and would eventually want to play around with 4S. In order to balance correctly, has anyone cut the battery slot lengthwise along the seam where to two wing halves are glued? That way I can move the battery up and down the slot to get the right COG, depending on which battery I use. Like in a Funjet.

DJ AKA The Real DJ
Chech out this video for some battery options!
Transforming Assassin (0 min 47 sec)
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:17 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
913 Posts
As for the ESC placement, it looks like the instructions have changed since I last looked at them. Too bad.

Personally, I don't like the "all electronics in one slot" build style, because everyone's electronics weight just a little different, so to balance, your slot might be in a different spot than the instructions say. That, and on a small wing, I prefer not to put one long slot through it, because that seems a little less structurally sound. If you put the ESC in flat, not only does it get more airflow, but you're cutting out a lot less foam, and it's easier to get to when/if you want to swap things out.

Personally, I think once you get to where you're about to put electronics in, just measure CG, lay things out however the heck you want, and make sure it balances. Other than that, it's totally preference/ease.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:25 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,390 Posts
+1
That is my preference after building a few of these wings.
  • Laminate
  • Lay things out to get things as close to balanced as possible
  • Install all of the electrics except the battery
  • Decorate
  • Cut the battery slot dead last
That's how I roll
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:01 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Thanks guys. I went thru every attached photo on this thread and sure enough I've been bitching and whining about my Assassins lack of grunt and I've been flying the prop backwards . Ive learned something I'll never forget! I still think the prop saver holds the prop better when it's backwards but it is what it is. Man if it flies so good before I can't wait to fly her now!
Thanks for the support.

Blu
Too funny, Been there done that .............twice LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
+1
That is my preference after building a few of these wings.
  • Laminate
  • Lay things out to get things as close to balanced as possible
  • Install all of the electrics except the battery
  • Decorate
  • Cut the battery slot dead last
That's how I roll
+100 on that........hey Blue, jetpackninja taught me how to do this wing thing
I Roll the same way
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:02 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,390 Posts
Jim- you need to start planning now for the next sWARm
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:03 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,390 Posts
I was in Idaho this weekend but it looks like I wasn't anywhere close to where you live.
It looks like I'm going to have to wait a while before I can smack your plane out of the air
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:09 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
I was in Idaho this weekend but it looks like I wasn't anywhere close to where you live.
It looks like I'm going to have to wait a while before I can smack your plane out of the air
Hope it wont be too long, would love to get to the next swarm. It would be a honor to get a smack down from any of the Aces here on this Thread......But posting it and getting her done may be two diffrent things LOL
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:42 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,390 Posts
If you find yourself down this way send some posts out.
If I can't get out we often have a couple of guys available during the day that can get out for a little smackage.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:55 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,033 Posts
Chico John - Thanks for the video. That's just awesome the way you've cut a t-slot for batteries. By the way, that's by far the most bling Assassin I've seen so far!
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
308 Posts
3 hits today!

I am building a new Assassin, and couldn't get the elevons right, and I realized that I was going to have to read Dave North's DX6i elevon programming instructions, something I've avoided up to now. Now, after reading about 200 posts on the subject, I think I understand what is going on. Here's my vastly simplified version, for those of you who don't have time to read 200 posts:

If you use the standard DX6i elevon programming (which you have to if all you have is a 4 channel receiver), everything looks fine if the trim is set to zero. In other words, the elevons move up about the same amount they move down. I think Dave would say it's not exactly the same, but for most of us, it's close enough. However, if, in trimming the plane, the trim moves close to the end-points of trim amount, you'll find that one of the motions, either up or down, is drastically reduced.

That's what happened to me. In the course of trimming my Assassin (the first one), I applied a lot of down trim, almost as much as the transmitter would allow. As a result of the transmitter bug, the elevons had full travel up (very little stick movement was required to point the plane up), but almost zero travel down (drastic stick movement required to point the plane down). Right and left would be the same, one elevon moving a lot, and one moving a little, which couldn't help flying.

So, today I did the only thing you can do if you have a 4 channel receiver. I moved the trim on the transmitter to zero, and adjusted the elevons mechanically with the EZconnectors to the place where they were with the transmitter trim. Now the up and down movement are about the same.

What a difference! All of a sudden the plane was many times more controllable, and as the title states, I had three hits, an unheard of number for me. Before I understood this, I just thought the plane was skittish, and maybe I had too much throw in the elevons or something. My friend couldn't fly the plane at all, but I thought he was just too inexperienced.

My point is you need to learn about this problem with the elevon mixing in the DX6i if you want to really appreciate the Assassin and other flying wings. Now I'm going to go back and take a look at my Titan and Reaper, but they have always been well behaved, so I'm thinking I didn't have to add much up or down trim with them.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
That's not mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Chico John - Thanks for the video. That's just awesome the way you've cut a t-slot for batteries. By the way, that's by far the most bling Assassin I've seen so far!
I don't have what it take to figure something like that out.
It does allow you to try a larger batery!
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:33 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
I am building a new Assassin, and couldn't get the elevons right, and I realized that I was going to have to read Dave North's DX6i elevon programming instructions, something I've avoided up to now. Now, after reading about 200 posts on the subject, I think I understand what is going on. Here's my vastly simplified version, for those of you who don't have time to read 200 posts:

If you use the standard DX6i elevon programming (which you have to if all you have is a 4 channel receiver), everything looks fine if the trim is set to zero. In other words, the elevons move up about the same amount they move down. I think Dave would say it's not exactly the same, but for most of us, it's close enough. However, if, in trimming the plane, the trim moves close to the end-points of trim amount, you'll find that one of the motions, either up or down, is drastically reduced.

That's what happened to me. In the course of trimming my Assassin (the first one), I applied a lot of down trim, almost as much as the transmitter would allow. As a result of the transmitter bug, the elevons had full travel up (very little stick movement was required to point the plane up), but almost zero travel down (drastic stick movement required to point the plane down). Right and left would be the same, one elevon moving a lot, and one moving a little, which couldn't help flying.

So, today I did the only thing you can do if you have a 4 channel receiver. I moved the trim on the transmitter to zero, and adjusted the elevons mechanically with the EZconnectors to the place where they were with the transmitter trim. Now the up and down movement are about the same.

What a difference! All of a sudden the plane was many times more controllable, and as the title states, I had three hits, an unheard of number for me. Before I understood this, I just thought the plane was skittish, and maybe I had too much throw in the elevons or something. My friend couldn't fly the plane at all, but I thought he was just too inexperienced.

My point is you need to learn about this problem with the elevon mixing in the DX6i if you want to really appreciate the Assassin and other flying wings. Now I'm going to go back and take a look at my Titan and Reaper, but they have always been well behaved, so I'm thinking I didn't have to add much up or down trim with them.
Thank you for this. I am new to this wing thing and have one, an Assassin that I've just completed and I now must put it into my DX6i.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:14 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
I'm not finding a CG listed for the Assassin, I reread the first build pages and the vids.

Can y'all tell me what it is?

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:46 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
I think it's 6.5 from the nose, its in the instructions somewhere towards the last 2 pages
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000