HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:38 PM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Getting ready to cut in the electronics and stuff. Instinct has me wanting to cut some vents in for the ESC. With in trapped in the foam slot it seems it would get very hot.

What do y'all think.

DJ
Probably not necessary if you've got it adequately sized.

John

But then I mount mine differently. I lay them flat in a slight hollow, so at least one side is exposed. But it never even gets warm on mine.
jhark37 is online now Find More Posts by jhark37
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:39 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
what size ESC did you get? You putting it in flat? Or on its side?

On most of my wings I install them flat, and the airflow over the top is enough, as long as the ESC is rated as high as it should be. Depending on the layout (and with a small wing like an assassin, this is very easy), sometimes I put the ESC in flat, leave that area un-laminated, hot glue the ESC down, and just make the Velcro strap that holds the battery down go over the ESC too. That holds it down in an impact well enough that the glue rarely comes undone, and if it does, it stays with the wing.

But the biggest thing is how highly rated it is, compared to your motor/prop combo
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:12 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
what size ESC did you get? You putting it in flat? Or on its side?

On most of my wings I install them flat, and the airflow over the top is enough, as long as the ESC is rated as high as it should be. Depending on the layout (and with a small wing like an assassin, this is very easy), sometimes I put the ESC in flat, leave that area un-laminated, hot glue the ESC down, and just make the Velcro strap that holds the battery down go over the ESC too. That holds it down in an impact well enough that the glue rarely comes undone, and if it does, it stays with the wing.

But the biggest thing is how highly rated it is, compared to your motor/prop combo
It's a 30 amp, the one on the recommended list on page one.

The plane is built to the letter from the Mfd build instructions on page one which has one cutting a 9" slot between the two servos with the ESC crammed into that slot on edge. No way can I see heat being dissipated from that spot. Note no one has complained of problems with this.

It's going to stay were it is so I'm asking has anyone found this to be a problem.

Thank you sir for responding.

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:17 PM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
579 Posts
Mine sits in the slot with just the top edge exposed, and I have kept an eye on it and it never gets hot, it barely gets warm so you should be right mate.
Austang is online now Find More Posts by Austang
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:37 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austang View Post
Mine sits in the slot with just the top edge exposed, and I have kept an eye on it and it never gets hot, it barely gets warm so you should be right mate.
Thank you, I will now install the stuff. After I put on the flames and the burning scull on the bottom (your target)

DJ AKA: Kamikaze Ace - wears no helmet.
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:37 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
I installed mine the same as per manual, mines cool BUT I can only keep it in the air so far for a couple minutes lol
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:50 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
The instructions say to cut the battery slot laterally and let the battery ride on it's side - so during an impact the battery won't absorb the shock through it's entire length. Makes sense.

However, I have many 3S battery brands of different weight and would eventually want to play around with 4S. In order to balance correctly, has anyone cut the battery slot lengthwise along the seam where to two wing halves are glued? That way I can move the battery up and down the slot to get the right COG, depending on which battery I use. Like in a Funjet.

DJ AKA The Real DJ
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:40 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
After another weekend of Assassin flying and combat I finally couldn't take being the slowpoke anymore. I don't know what's wrong but after two 2812 motors it's getting more difficult to launch it easily due to lack of thrust. Vertical is not great either.
Tonight I installed a Powerup 370 Zoom motor and a 6x4e prop, oh baby! Feels like a rocket now. Pulling 25A WOT static at 270watts. It should be fast at half throttle with plenty of warp speed on top for tracking down the prey .
I hope it performs well when I get her up for a test flight, can't wait!

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:14 AM
wait, there was a tree ?!?
Switzerland, ZH, Oberengstringen
Joined Jun 2012
247 Posts
If you use the recommended 2812 on 7x6 it draws arround 17amps. The 30a esc only gets a bit warm. So it should not be an issue having it sunken in the slot. However if you decide to rewind the 2812 with 24ga and 8-9 turns it will pull 27-30amps and the esc gets hot.

I prefer to mount my esc flat on the top, so its level with the wing.
moray is offline Find More Posts by moray
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:31 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Tonight I installed a Powerup 370 Zoom motor and a 6x4e prop, oh baby! Feels like a rocket now. Pulling 25A WOT static at 270watts. It should be fast at half throttle with plenty of warp speed on top for tracking down the prey .
I hope it performs well when I get her up for a test flight, can't wait!

Blu
Waiting for the flight report.
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:00 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
Have I screwed up?

Are the letters on a APC prop suppose to face forward towards the nose of the Assassin? I've searched this whole thread and found just one mention of this. If so, then I've had my stock prop on the 2812 on backwards too. I'm going to feel really stupid. Can someone set me straight on how the stock prop sits on the prop saver. I've always had the deep large recessed hole on the tan colored prop facing forward and sitting on the prop saver. Any other way the prop didn't seat securely.

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Last edited by Bluhammer; Oct 08, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:13 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Depending on where you buy the props, the writing may be on the front or the back. Best way to figure it out is to remember that the thicker side of the blade should be cutting the air.

...done it too. Don't feel too bad.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:59 AM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
246 Posts
Blu, I've noticed a few other posts on CTH wing threads about this confusion, so don't feel 2 bad about this. Anyway I think the HK 7x6 APC knockoff props I have all have numbers on the front side, as in the side that should face forward when installed on pusher setup. If you're not sure or yours doesn't have molded in numbers you can also look for cupping on the back side of your props, as in a slight concave or undercamber on the side that goes toward the rear of the aircraft, most if not all props have this foil on them, except maybe some Air Hogs toy props or something like that. Remember a propeller is basically just a spinning wing that creates thrust, so if you look for the wing foil it should be easy to figure out how it should be installed. Also if you think about it a wing moving through the air backwards would be very inefficient, which should explain why installing a propeller backwards may not work real well. Good luck with your next flight with a correctly installed prop.
sredlin is offline Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:59 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
If confused, ive always gone by the spacer that we install that comes with props. It presses into the BACK of the prop and will sit flush with the back face.... So the deeper hole on the prop is the back.
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:12 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Yeah, don't allow the prop to fool ya.
On APC props and the clones the number usually faces the front.
The props have shape to them, once you have identified the shape, you will likely never look for the numbers any more. The thing that messes with most people is that the prop is going to blow whether it's on backwards or not (provided the motor is spinning the right way) it just doesn't move the air as efficiently.

Turn it right way around. you're gonna feel like you have a new plane
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja