SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:25 AM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio View Post
Hi friends,

Thank you all for the help. I would like to know the 2.4 technology and started with the DX6I. I donŽt want to quit using it, thatŽs because IŽm trying to understand what could happened.

The big problem is that I lost a $200 product (wing + equipment), and could have injuried someone. When flying we have to reduce as much as we can all of these kind of possibilities

I bought to me a AR6210x full receiver, IŽll use it in bigger and fast planes wing to tru to reduce this possibilities, will it work? I hope so...

Next weekend IŽll go back to the same field I lost my wing with other planes and will do the range test. Also, if the wing is still there, IŽll try to get it back

At this same time, its coming to me from ebay a brand new Hitec Aurora 9...

HereŽs the result of the radio fault
Looks like someone might miss one of those nice trees if you brought a chainsaw.

Can you hire a tree trimmer that climbs trees (with shoe spikes and belt) to retrieve?
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:54 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts

I donŽt know any tree trimmer here...

But as I am also an angler, IŽll use some of my fishing line and my sonŽs slingshot to shake it IŽm also praying to donŽt rain here in Rio de Janeiro until monday, to do not spoil the eletronis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Flyer View Post
Looks like someone might miss one of those nice trees if you brought a chainsaw.

Can you hire a tree trimmer that climbs trees (with shoe spikes and belt) to retrieve?
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:46 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
You may want to look in your equivalent of yellow pages or craigslist. Also, the guys that climb telephone poles (linemen) could maybe help.

Someone would probably do it for $50 or less.

Definitely worth retrieving. Good luck!
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Last edited by KC Flyer; Sep 12, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
IŽll do my best to recover it... iŽll also let you know ASAP!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:03 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio View Post
Hi friends,

HereŽs the result of the radio fault
Some times I am glad we live where there are shorter trees.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:55 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Hi Lee,

IŽll get it back from this terrible mother - - wing-eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Some times I am glad we live where there are shorter trees.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:48 PM
United States, KY, Cold Spring
Joined Jul 2012
17 Posts
Lee,

I noticed on your site you mention thrust angle on the motor.

Quote:
To correct the motor angle, trim the plane during a glide to fly flat and level. Give the plane some throttle and see if the plane pulls up or down. If the plane pulls up with increased throttle, you need to tip the motor down. (This is the same for motors in the front or back.)
Now my plane is a bit heavy and I've set my flaps to give it some up elevator when i'm gliding so I can try catching my plane...but if I go to give it just a little bit of throttle that thing will shoot straight in the sky and even roll...I've read a lot of this forum but haven't noticed people changing the thrust angle of the motor much...do you recommend this?

Also at the moment I have my CG done by hanging it from a string and not sitting on tacks...could my plane be a bit to nose heavy? AUW is at 22oz still flies great can just tell it's a little heavy in slower flight

thanks!
brettskermetzger is offline Find More Posts by brettskermetzger
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
So when you look at the motor from the side, how does the angle look?
Ideally it should be 0 degrees or perfectly inline with the flat bottom of the plane.
Sometimes, depending on the build techniques (esp. installing the spar) the bottom isn't exactly flat and even though the motor mount is mounted flush against the bottom of the plane, it may be angled slightly upward.

Another thing that often happens is that the motor mount gets tweaked on a hard nose in so that it's not at a perfect 90 angle any more.

The behavior you are describing sounds like the thrust is angled slightly upwards.
Easiest way to fix it is to grab the mount with a pair of needle nose and carefully correct the angle.

Test like Lee suggested glide level and whack the throttle. If it nose up sharply- bend the angle down, If it noses down sharply, angle it up a little.

Measure your CG from the bottom and let us know how far back your cg is just so we know we are comparing apples to apples. Some of the guys recently have noticed a big difference in the measurement when checking from the top (hanging) or balancing on the bottom (on tacks or whatever)
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
17 Posts
Yea when I hung mine from the string it at 6.5" it showed it severly tail heavy...to as where I have it measured from the bottom at 6.5" it's dead level and 2oz lighter...

I'll check that mount when I get home...if I go into a glide that thing dives hard so I always have some elevator on it...I'll let you know and thanks for the tips!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:58 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Yes- if you are at 6.5 you are not tail heavy. the Assassin flies well with the cg 6.25 to 6.5.
Trim the elevons so that you maintain level flight at 1/2 throttle. If you are not used to flying wings it may look funny to have the elevons trimmed "up" when the servos are at center.
Last edited by jetpackninja; Sep 14, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Jul 2012
17 Posts
ok so if I trim it correctly at 1/2 throttle it should nose dive a bit when in glide then correct?

That's why I was confused by the motor thrust concept...if you're gliding level the elevons should be quite a bit "up" therefore giving it throttle will shoot it to the sky correct?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:07 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Climb some- yes. Shoot up into the sky- no.

If the pitch changes drastically with throttle input you are most likely looking at a thrust line issue.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Jul 2012
17 Posts
Alright I finally got her CG dialed in from the bottom of the plane and not hanging it by it's center point...

THIS THING FLOATS!!! what a difference in performance...its unreal...it literally cruises at 1/4 throttle...

For the motor thrust issue I think I may have to give it a hair of some down thrust...at half throttle it flies great but and more and it's an endless climb...near vertical at full throttle...I know it should climb some but I think this is a bit severe? It's the same when it's gliding...

thanks for the help ninja!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:42 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Glad to help. The Assassin is my favorite plane right now
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:44 PM
KI4KRA
United States, NC, Spring Lake
Joined May 2005
81 Posts
Putting my new Assassin together and have some questions. I followed the video and placed my spar at 6.5" Then saw in the pdf the spar should be at 7". Will this cause me any issues? Why was the spar moved back .5"?

Thank you.
Ogrestud is offline Find More Posts by Ogrestud
RCG Plus Member