HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:40 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,011 Posts
Fun video from today.

Reaper Stunts - Randy 9-12 (5 min 45 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:30 AM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,054 Posts
Lee,
Our club had it's first combat session yesterday, two of the three were Assassins. We had fun and plan on doing it again today - our hope is that other club members will get intrested and get more of them flying on a regular basis.
Enclosed is a photo of my plane, I got 2 good hits yesterday with it and it's ready for more.
Thanks for a great design
Trent
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:54 AM
TM1
Joined Jan 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
Lee,
Our club had it's first combat session yesterday, two of the three were Assassins. We had fun and plan on doing it again today - our hope is that other club members will get intrested and get more of them flying on a regular basis.
Enclosed is a photo of my plane, I got 2 good hits yesterday with it and it's ready for more.
Trent
nice plane Trent.
How did you make the writing and drawings on the wing ?
TM1 is offline Find More Posts by TM1
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
nice plane Trent.
How did you make the writing and drawings on the wing ?
I found the clip art image of the shark on the internet, the type was done with Open Office document writer. I put them together on a jump drive and brought it to Office Max.

At Office Max buy some Avery Clear Ful Sheet Label material stock #8665
and have Office Max print the file out onto it with their laser printer.

Take the label home and spray it with Krylon clear to water/smudge proof it and your in business!
Trent
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:54 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
Lee,
Trent
Don't say I didn't warn you. This combat is addicting.

It changes everything about going flying because instead of flying alone you fly as a group. After you get used to the Assassin and see how hard it is to break you will find your stress level will drop too.

Lee
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
After you get used to the Assassin and see how hard it is to break you will find your stress level will drop too.

Lee
That's the great thing about your wings - no stress flying. I'm accostomed to balsa 3D planes and helicopters that require repair with anything less than perfect flying and landing -

I got another 3 hits today and so far the only damage has been a prop slash in the wing...It took longer to find my roll of clear tape than it did to repair it
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
HELP!!
So I really messed up and wasn't paying attention when I soldered my ESC wires and didn't realize the negative and positive were reversed. When I connected it to the battery there was obviously a big cloud of smoke. I unplugged them within 2 seconds. The ESC is definitely fried, but does anybody know if I can still safely use my Lipo?...It seems perfectly fine, but I'm worried. On the other hand, I also literally have $0.00 to spend on anything right now because I'm still job searching with no income (just graduated college).
Tarzan3307 is offline Find More Posts by Tarzan3307
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:45 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,011 Posts
The ESC usually fries fast enough that the battery is OK.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
686 Posts
Any smoke from the lipo or puffed up cells? As long as it doesnt feel puffed/spongy, you should be fine.
McCleary.11 is online now Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, KY, Cold Spring
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Alright so this morning I took the wing into the garage to check my CG...while I tested my CG before I cut out holes for everything, I took a staple and hung it from some fishing line and found it was severely tail heavy!! 2oz worth of tail heavy!!

I found an old 2oz weight and cut it in just in front of my battery as you can see in the pictures...

The only thing I was wondering is if I should move my battery up to the correct spot and fill in the rest of the gaps with gorilla glue or if there is a better way to go about doing that?

My AUW is right at 22oz...it still has unlimited vertical but before I put on finishing touches I was hoping to get some insight...I also notice at being this heavy it comes down FAST in a glide...will 2 less ounces make that much of a difference?

Also when the wing is laying flat on a table how high are the elevons to start with? I found I had to put quite a bit of trim to keep this thing level and not want to nose dive into the ground (which is why I thought it was nose heavy but found out it was actually tail heavy!)

Thanks guys!!
brettskermetzger is offline Find More Posts by brettskermetzger
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:45 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,479 Posts
You're on the right track.
Mix some gorilla glue with some water in a paper cup and mix it unti it just starts to foam.
Once it starts to foam fill the hole quick and tape over the top.
Or if you kept the plug that you cut out just glue iot back in
Yeah the uptrim on the elevons is normal (reflex) all flying wings need reflex to fly level.
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:46 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,479 Posts
ahh- you are from my home state
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:51 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettskermetzger View Post
Alright so this morning I took the wing into the garage to check my CG...while I tested my CG before I cut out holes for everything, I took a staple and hung it from some fishing line and found it was severely tail heavy!! 2oz worth of tail heavy!!
So, I haven't been able to explain this one yet, but let me share something that might help before you do too many modifications.

My bro-in-law built a reaper, measuring CG but screwing a small eye-hook into the Formica plate right where CG should be, then suspended it by a string and balanced everything (similar to what you did with a staple)

Once everything balanced perfectly, we took it down, and tried measuring CG the way I think most people do--the way the instructions say--by measuring on the bottom of the wing and placing marks or push pins on either side of the wing. If you drew a line between the two points, his eye-hook would have been exactly over that line, in the center.

BUT... when we held up the wing from the bottom, the CG was WAY off! It was super nose-heavy when balancing from the bottom (which jives with your tail-heaviness when balancing by suspension from above) We double-checked with the wing suspended from the center, and it balanced perfectly still.

...explain that one to me...

We opted to go for proper CG based on the marks on the bottom, since that's what we'd always done before (in other words, we moved his battery back a bit so it balanced from the bottom, but appeared tail heavy if suspended) and when he maidened it, it flew absolutely perfectly.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
COG balance

Balance from underneath is like a tightrope, you have to be spot on or fall.

The COG is inside the middle of the wing, not on surface.

Suspended from above the COG is like a plumb bob and more stable so less critical, and may not be as accurate?~~~~~H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:02 AM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
199 Posts
My $0.02 on CG, I just recently completed the build on my first wing, a CTH Scythe, and I used the push pins on the bottom as suggested in the build instructions. However, since it was my first wing ever and I'm not an expert pilot, I also used the "chuck glider"/power off test glide technique over deep grass in the local park with battery just taped in place to locate the best placement. This method also helped me get the elevons mechanically trimmed for a nice power off straight and level glide. So when I did my power on maiden flight, it went without a hitch and flew great with almost no radio trim required. I had never tried the "chuck glider" method before, but I do recommend it now and will use it again in the future.
sredlin is offline Find More Posts by sredlin