SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:30 AM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
573 Posts
I have finally been able to finish two of our Assasins, I have flown mine and soon my young bloke will maiden his, here is a couple of pics. They have lights fitted and the invasion stripes on my sons are a glow in the dark strip.

Austang is offline Find More Posts by Austang
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
A different Prop saver

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
Got a motor question....I purchased the recomended motor from Value Hobby and just mounted it - the shaft looks like it could be easily bent due to it's long length.

Are you guys cutting down the stock shaft or do I have something messed up?
Yea that's a little different saver than most but it looks like it will work fine.
Push the unit up against the motor housing and cut the unused portion off. Keeping it up against the motor housing will reduce bending the shaft.
Good luck.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:57 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,589 Posts
I thought the shaft was hardened steel? Wouldn't cutting the shaft be fairly difficult?

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:00 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
829 Posts
Shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1295 View Post
I thought the shaft was hardened steel? Wouldn't cutting the shaft be fairly difficult?

-Mike
Nah Dremel tool with cut off wheel , cuts right thru the shaft

Y'all gonna get alot of wind tonight ?
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Replacement stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post

Should you bend the shaft or lose the retainer clip you can get replacement parts for the 2812 from these guys.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...for-3mm/Detail
Bearings, clips and the shaft all here.
When you cut the shaft leave a 1/4" or so beyond the prop saver, on some props the shaft will poke through and help keep the prop centered.
Good luck.
Actually the shaft shouldn't go beyond the saver by 1/16" or so, you don't need much.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Last edited by Chico John; Sep 04, 2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: add
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
713 Posts
Lee, have you ever made any center extentions for the Assassin? Would it be possible? I was thinking 4".
McCleary.11 is offline Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:31 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,416 Posts
Me too, simple like that. A very cheap prop saver will solve any problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
This is all I am using on most of my motors.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mm_10pcs_.html

I will occasionally will break a bolt trying to tighten them but they hold as good as the more expensive ones I have bought.
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:18 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post

And rem to protect your motor from metal grinding dust when cutting the shaft ...... I always use a latex glove ...... put a pin prick in it and the feed/stretch the hole over the shaft and cover completely the motor.....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:39 PM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Flyer View Post
That prop and adapter don't look like what most of us use (HK-7x6e APC clone) with a 3mm prop saver slid down most of the way.

I measured the shaft (FC2812) and it sticks out ~17mm from bell.
Thanks guys that's my problem....I bought a 3mm collect prop adapter - I need a prop saver insted.
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:37 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,589 Posts
@ TE

Man, you're dialed into what's happening in Alaska! Yeah, Anchorage is expecting 100mph gusts up in the hills. I'm hearing that they're probably going to shut down the airport there too, which makes sense. Here in Dillingham we've been up over 40 for most of the day with gusts hitting 50 or so. Since Saturday night it's been rain and wind. No power outages except for one on Sunday where it blew to roof off of some guys house and it landed in the power lines. That shut off power for a couple of hours for some folks but I've been lucky so far. Passed a house fire on the way home tonight. Not sure what caused it but they're talking about a blown over smoke stack or something.

It's getting dark now so falling trees are becoming a danger. I spotted some that had fallen over across the street but so far the ones around my home are standing tall and weathering it. Could be a long night though.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:30 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,416 Posts

Go out from this place, to a warm place and withou such cold wind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1295 View Post
@ TE

Man, you're dialed into what's happening in Alaska! Yeah, Anchorage is expecting 100mph gusts up in the hills. I'm hearing that they're probably going to shut down the airport there too, which makes sense. Here in Dillingham we've been up over 40 for most of the day with gusts hitting 50 or so. Since Saturday night it's been rain and wind. No power outages except for one on Sunday where it blew to roof off of some guys house and it landed in the power lines. That shut off power for a couple of hours for some folks but I've been lucky so far. Passed a house fire on the way home tonight. Not sure what caused it but they're talking about a blown over smoke stack or something.

It's getting dark now so falling trees are becoming a danger. I spotted some that had fallen over across the street but so far the ones around my home are standing tall and weathering it. Could be a long night though.

-Mike
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:08 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,963 Posts
Ok here comes the big experiment.
My buddy Jim and I have the same Assassins and electrics but his is always noticeably faster. I've tried a new motor and a different ESC with no improvement. I've tried his prop, no change. He claims it's his Thunder Power G6 25c batteries vs my Nano Tech 40c. I just ordered some, let's see if the nearly 3x more costly batteries make the difference! We were going to try his in my wing but he uses JST connectors and I use EC3's and we didn't have an adapter.
My setup is consistently pulling 10A at 115W static WOT.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:28 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Ok here comes the big experiment.
My buddy Jim and I have the same Assassins and electrics but his is always noticeably faster. I've tried a new motor and a different ESC with no improvement. I've tried his prop, no change. He claims it's his Thunder Power G6 25c batteries vs my Nano Tech 40c. I just ordered some, let's see if the nearly 3x more costly batteries make the difference! We were going to try his in my wing but he uses JST connectors and I use EC3's and we didn't have an adapter.
My setup is consistently pulling 10A at 115W static WOT.

Blu
That's interesting!!! I think last time I checked I was pulling over 16 amps with the 2812-1534kv and a 3S 1300 Nanotec Lipo and a Hobby King 25-30A ESC. I am using Micro Deans 4 pin plugs cut down to 3 pins for the connection from the ESC to the battery.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:44 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
How about weight on both wings? Not saying that's the issue, it's just an interesting scenario, and I'm curious about all the data
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
How about weight on both wings? Not saying that's the issue, it's just an interesting scenario, and I'm curious about all the data
I don't think it is a weight issue because I have watched and videod both wings flying together and you can hear that Jim's wing even sounds more powerful. It definately is faster and gets vertical with a lot more authority.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr