HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1295 View Post
Even with that I have toasted a couple of the HK 25 - 30 amp escs even with running the 7x6 prop on the FC 2812 motors.

-Mike
I don't see how, unless you have defective ESC's. My entire combat club runs the HK 25-30A ESC's, FC2812 and APC 7x6's and not a single one of us has burned out a motor or ESC.

Hell I've run that setup on 4s and aside from the motor getting warm, it handles the extra amps and volts just fine.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:25 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,557 Posts
That's what I'm chalking it up to as well, defective parts.

Just the other day I had one flying along at about 2/3 throttle and all of a sudden I heard a sort of "whomp" sound and loss all power.

On the ground we tried to figure out what had gone wrong so we plugged the esc into a known good battery and FC 2812 and ran up the throttle and saw smoke come out of the esc.

After it cooled down I took the shrink wrap off and noticed that a component had smoked undeneath the heat shield. I wasn't flying in the rain and I hadn't dunked it in water so I'm guessing it's a bad component from the factory. Everything about my Assassin is stock and right off of the list from CTH.

Not a big deal at the end of the day. I had another HK esc in my toolbox and I was up and flying soon after.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:29 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I agree with everything you stated.

I guess I misread what MikeD096 had written. On my first pass I though that he had said that the high C rating killed the electronics which didn't make sense to me. Now I see that's not what he was trying to explain.

I typically run an esc that is capable of 10 to 20% higher capacity than what is specified.

Even with that I have toasted a couple of the HK 25 - 30 amp escs even with running the 7x6 prop on the FC 2812 motors.

-Mike
I have four models(inc two Assassins) running with the FC 2812 with APC 7 x 6 props and never had a single problem ...... I use the Turnigy Plush version of HK's ESC's ...... they have never let me down and I have every size they do from 6A to 80A so I'm a real fan of this type ESC .... you can program them with a card which is so simple to do (cards cost very little) ..... Plush ESC's are a little more expensive than some but well worth it .....

I mentioned in a post above the use of a Watts up meter .....

quote ....
I would also get a Watts Up meter (or similar) to allow you to see just whats going on re current/volts/watts ...... you will use this device for checking any electric powered plane you will ever build in the future so it's a valuable investment .....

Not sure if you have one but it's the best investment any Electric flyer can make ..... it will ensure your motor and ESC (and lipo of course) is operating within spec and your prop is not overloading the system .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,269 Posts
Blu has one that we use at the field that is like a Watt Meter but it measures the batteries as well . It tests each individual cell and charge percentage remaing
It was about 45.00
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:29 AM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpwilson View Post
Thank for all the input. I'll definately be checking things out. Looking at it again, I mispoke. I am using a 7x4E prop. Apparently, it's still too much but i didn't have much luck or thrust with a 6x4E. Back to the drawing board!
Check your prop. If your not getting thrust and your componets are heating up, it's on backwards.

Ryan
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:04 AM
AMA 937634
Joined Jan 2010
1,557 Posts
@hobie14

Thanks for the tips!

I do have a WattsUp meter and I use it occasionally though I didn't on my Assassin.

I purchased the parts off of Lee's list and put the plane together probably the same way that all of the rest of you have. It's not over weight and I've gotten dozens of flights out of it with no issues. I simply believe that I got a bad part from HobbyKing that was doomed to fail from the get go. It's not unheard of and I simply don't mind that a $15 ESC went bad.

When I purchase parts this cheap I buy extra because I feel that the parts are basically made to be disposable. As I stated up above, I simply tossed the burned ESC into my truck, loaded up a new ESC and continued flying. I believe that all parts have an expiration date on them just like all planes do. Someday they're going to break and there isn't a whole lot we can do about that.

Anyway, the plane is flying again and I've got another 4 ESC's on their way. If they don't find their way into my Assassin maybe I'll put them in my Widowmaker.

-Mike
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:13 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
@hobie14

Thanks for the tips!

I do have a WattsUp meter and I use it occasionally though I didn't on my Assassin.

I purchased the parts off of Lee's list and put the plane together probably the same way that all of the rest of you have. It's not over weight and I've gotten dozens of flights out of it with no issues. I simply believe that I got a bad part from HobbyKing that was doomed to fail from the get go. It's not unheard of and I simply don't mind that a $15 ESC went bad.

When I purchase parts this cheap I buy extra because I feel that the parts are basically made to be disposable. As I stated up above, I simply tossed the burned ESC into my truck, loaded up a new ESC and continued flying. I believe that all parts have an expiration date on them just like all planes do. Someday they're going to break and there isn't a whole lot we can do about that.

Anyway, the plane is flying again and I've got another 4 ESC's on their way. If they don't find their way into my Assassin maybe I'll put them in my Widowmaker.

-Mike
Your back in the air .... that's the main thing ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:28 PM
IWantToFly
United States, AK, Dillingham
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
has anyone ever put two motors on an assassin/widowmaker? like have a motor on the normal spot in the back of the plane and also have another motor on the nose of the wing. I've thought about doing this on one of my assassins. i think it would be so cool!
i love my assassins and widowmaker the way they are btw. but i thought they're so tough and fun that they can be tweaked to push the limits on them
speedyAK is offline Find More Posts by speedyAK
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:37 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyAK View Post
has anyone ever put two motors on an assassin/widowmaker? like have a motor on the normal spot in the back of the plane and also have another motor on the nose of the wing. I've thought about doing this on one of my assassins. i think it would be so cool!
i love my assassins and widowmaker the way they are btw. but i thought they're so tough and fun that they can be tweaked to push the limits on them
Why not? Shoot some video.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:26 AM
IWantToFly
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
i'm traveling and heading off to college. so i won't be trying it out for a while. at least until christmas break.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:53 PM
AMA 937634
Joined Jan 2010
1,557 Posts
@ speedy

I heard you were leaving soon (today?). You aren't bringing your planes to Fairbanks? The Assassin would fit in a small box!

-Mike
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:04 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,354 Posts
Today I flew my Assassin, it flew very nice! There was no wind and the yaw suspect I had went out. Waiting more batteries to go to the field..

Does anyone flies with a Spektrum DX6I with elevons? As this radio has this bug, I need to change the set up, once I change the servo range linkage to solve this..
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:20 PM
IWantToFly
Joined Jul 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
@ speedy

I heard you were leaving soon (today?). You aren't bringing your planes to Fairbanks? The Assassin would fit in a small box!

-Mike
yes i'm leaving today. and i'll have my radio and charger sent to me in Fairbanks after i get settled down. i might have my assassin sent over as well. and i'll get at least one more plane when i get over to the campus.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:46 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio View Post
Today I flew my Assassin, it flew very nice! There was no wind and the yaw suspect I had went out. Waiting more batteries to go to the field..

Does anyone flies with a Spektrum DX6I with elevons? As this radio has this bug, I need to change the set up, once I change the servo range linkage to solve this..
The bug in the DX6i is in their preset mixing program. The present program makes so as you trim the plane the rates of the elevon movement change not only the trim. You also have to be careful that you keep your aileron and elevator travel adjustments the same. If you have the elevator set at 70% and the elevons at 110% you will have one elevon moving more than the other and the plane will be hard to trim.

Here is a link to the fix. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=35

Found a fix for the Elevon problems (fixes them all, I think).

This is slightly complicated, but bear with me. In the end, you get everything working plus a bonus feature at the cost of only one mix.

First, plug your right servo into the aileron plug and your left servo into Aux 1 (the Flap plug). I've only tried this on one plane, so I don't know if those might be reversed in some setups.

Then set your Wing Type to Dual Ailerons. Now check your aileron control -- it should work normally for an elevon plane (elevator is not yet working). If it doesn't, you'll probably end up having to reverse your plugs to make things work right.

Next, go to Mix 1 and set Elev -> Flap with both rates (D & U) at 100%. In my case that was -100%, but you may have to use +100 percent in your setup. Check function; at this point it should look like an Elevon plane with a boatload of travel. Don't fret about that -- the extra travel will "fix" your trim buttons! And don't forget to set "Trim" to ACT in the lower right corner of this screen.

Now, if you want differential it should work perfectly. If it goes in the wrong direction, you'll have to back up and reverse the plugs (move the servo in Ail to Aux and vice-versa) and redo the other settings to reverse them. Ultimately it means you'll have all the function back at the cost of a single mix.

But you get some payback for that mix: your Flap switch will now work! Probably the best use for it on an elevon plane is adjusting the elevons to max glide duration in case you want to do some thermals and don't want to try and see what the little bugger is doing at 400 feet...

Undoubtedly your elevon travel will now be too great. If you go to Dual Rates and reduce your top rate down at least to 80% of full, your trim buttons will now be completely safe to use -- the endpoint travel will not be greater than your allowed travel, so the weird "button effects" go away.

As far as I can tell, this is a complete fix. Would be delighted to hear if anyone hits a snag... also this leaves the option of another mix open (if you're using rudder and want a mix, or wish to do a throttle -> "flap" mix to get the torque roll out, for example).

Quote from Dave
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Aug 27, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,793 Posts
I have 2 issues.

1. VERY poor vertical. This I hope to fix tonight by resetting the throttle range on ESC/TX. If not I'm concerned. I have two stock motors and they both do vertical poorly. It seems to totally stall after40-50ft of vertical at full throttle.

2. Should I TX program some differential in? How much? My Assassin wobbles and yaws too much in turns, really pronounced in winds.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer