HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:35 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
832 Posts
Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I have received several E-mails asking which motors will give 100+ mph.

Open question to everyone....... Which motors have you tried to get the high prop speed and high MPH?
My 2812 8 turn re-wind is fast enuff for me . I like to be able to see it fly vs going

HyperSonic :-) and not having a visual on the Assassin .

I do have a MICRODAN 2505-2900 motor to try out - using a Sport APC 6 x4
Tom Eutsler is online now Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:02 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
Has anyone tried a rewound FC-2812 with 4s?
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:49 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,983 Posts
s that tape, stickers, or paint that you used? Have a friend building one this weekend and want to recommend the best way to put color/patterns on it. I painted mine but it always chips if I crash or have a rough landing.

After extreme taping, I cut to shape Monokote Trim Sheets from Tower Hobbies. Stuck them on and ironed them. Then laminated over everything. Those designs should hold up for the life of the plane.

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:36 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,085 Posts
I was just flipping through the latest Tower Hobbies catalogue and was reading about their different types of mono

I'm pondering using clear packaging tape, framed by the glittering stuff from Paper Street. Adding an extra layer of laminate in the end. Ohh and lights
Nighthawk74 is online now Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:23 AM
United States, TX, Cinco Ranch
Joined Nov 2010
56 Posts
Hey lee I saw a pilot at the field with assassin 40a esc, turnigy 2836 kv2350, this setup are crazy speed man, the bird got to 100mph half stick, but when he push little more over half the bird goes crazy wing start to whipping in the air like it dancing, motor scream louder and louder maybe it reach to 150mph, and then the noise crash into the ground, but the assassin still alive, mOtor shaft broke, little cut to the foam, battery dead, and servo fall off.

Lee why the assassin go crazy in the air when it hit that kind of speed? Should he rebuild his assassin and at more lamemas and stronger servo arm ?...
P.M.S is offline Find More Posts by P.M.S
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:38 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.M.S View Post
Hey lee I saw a pilot at the field with assassin 40a esc, turnigy 2836 kv2350, this setup are crazy speed man, the bird got to 100mph half stick, but when he push little more over half the bird goes crazy wing start to whipping in the air like it dancing, motor scream louder and louder maybe it reach to 150mph, and then the noise crash into the ground, but the assassin still alive, mOtor shaft broke, little cut to the foam, battery dead, and servo fall off.

Lee why the assassin go crazy in the air when it hit that kind of speed? Should he rebuild his assassin and at more lamemas and stronger servo arm ?...
I have no idea. Speed usually stabilizes the planes if the CG is right. If he has a big motor does he also have big servos to handle the torque? I have seen a lot of servos so overloaded that they stall when the plane is going fast. The plane usually hits the ground because it is in a dive or back side of a loop that the servos stall because the forces are the highest.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:00 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.M.S View Post

I think every plane has a Vne (velocity never exceed). Eventually you'll hit a resonance. 150 mph for an EPP plane is fast.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:04 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,449 Posts
Hi Lee and friends!

I wake up today morning and asked myself: why donīt you build an Assassin?

So I spend all of my day on it. I cut the cores, sanded, put the carbon fuber rod, the filament tape and so on.. and.. Thatīs the result!

When installing the servos, I saw that the turnigy TGY-90S, Is with a "big head" outside the fuse of the wing. I put it more inside, what will reduce the drag and let the commands near the fuse of the wing. Now Iīll have to wait the 30a esc and the motor arrives from hobbycity
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, TX
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
wing are nice
Killer007 is offline Find More Posts by Killer007
Last edited by Killer007; Aug 04, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:36 AM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
577 Posts
I really wish Crash test hobby included Extreme tape in the kit especially when they sell to overseas customers, three weeks and I'm still waiting for the tape I ordered elsewhere online, my wings are built as far as I can without it, next time i order some new wings from them I will ask for it to be included and pay them the extra, it will be worth it, the kits arrived in about a week, a great service, I would be flying if I had of asked for some tape.
Austang is online now Find More Posts by Austang
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:44 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
If you can't get the E-Tape locally can you get single direction reinforced tape locally? This is not quite as good and a little heavier but will work. I have not seen it fail on the leading edge of the plane but to get the strength on the hinge line some builders put small pieces of the single direction tape with the fibers crossing the hinge line.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
Tape

I build my wings with drywall jointing mesh / tape instead of Extreme tape ( supply problems! )

You can add a strip of laminate to replace the tape part of Extreme, and it does not UV degrade.

I'm not flying combat ( shame ) but I have not broken Fybatape / drywall mesh in prangs, it can be cut by prop strikes I'm told, is much much lighter than Extreme tape.

I put a 1" to 2" strip folded round all wing edges with a smear of GooP, also a spiral wind round elevons instead of Extreme tape before laminating.

You made need spots of GooP type glue to fix tape in place before you laminate over ~~Iron firmly at upper end of heat range to bond fibertape to EPP and lam.

~~~~~~~good luck, H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:13 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio View Post
Hi Lee and friends!

I wake up today morning and asked myself: why donīt you build an Assassin?

So I spend all of my day on it. I cut the cores, sanded, put the carbon fuber rod, the filament tape and so on.. and.. Thatīs the result!

When installing the servos, I saw that the turnigy TGY-90S, Is with a "big head" outside the fuse of the wing. I put it more inside, what will reduce the drag and let the commands near the fuse of the wing. Now Iīll have to wait the 30a esc and the motor arrives from hobbycity
Holy cow man! You did in one day what's taken me weeks to do! You guys amaze me.

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:26 AM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
577 Posts
I have this at home,
http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-8959-Bi...ef=pd_sbs_op_1

but have this on order,
http://www.amazon.com/Scotch%C2%AE-E...s=extreme+tape

just gotta wait for it to arrive.
Austang is online now Find More Posts by Austang
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:56 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
I haven't used the 3M stuff, but 3M is usually a pretty good brand. I don't know that you'd notice much difference between the two, really.

By "at home" do you mean on-hand at your house? Or do you mean they sell it at a local place? The 3M roll you linked to is about twice the price of the Scotch Extreme Tape, but it's also more than twice the length, so... maybe you don't have to wait for shipping in the future after all!

And considering the cost of a roll of e-tape, (and that there's no good way to divide it out into less than a roll), I don't think there's any feasible way for CTH to include it in the kits, without jacking up prices beyond what makes sense.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Last edited by elCapitan; Aug 05, 2012 at 12:02 PM.