HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:04 PM
Montrose CO
United States, CO, Montrose
Joined Apr 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
You don't replace it you add another flat carbon spar by cutting a clean slit through the laminate and foam and sliding another flat carbon in and gluing it in place and laminating over the top. Don't over do it. Let the old spar stay in the wing.
I love simple solutions. Thanks Lee
not2fast is offline Find More Posts by not2fast
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:40 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,479 Posts
Regarding ESC, I use a 30 amp. I cut the insulation/heatshrink to expose the heatsink. I pull 17 amps WOT. I often fly WOT the whole flight. The ESC comes down cool and motor come down cool. Actually, flying half throttle is harder on the ESC, and I often fly the whole flight half throttle or less (I like to harrier the flying wing), and it still comes down cool, even on 100 degree days. I have a 1640 kv motor, but I haven't tried it yet. I use a 1420 kv if I remember correctly, swinging a 7x6.

Another possibility is that the bearings went out in your motor, you had a short between bullet connectors to your motor, a servo stripped or was for some reason drawing too much current.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:34 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2fast View Post
I love simple solutions. Thanks Lee
Last time I did this I just used clear 2" tape over the top so the repair took only a few minutes and it is stronger than the original.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
Regarding ESC, I use a 30 amp. I cut the insulation/heatshrink to expose the heatsink. I pull 17 amps WOT. I often fly WOT the whole flight. The ESC comes down cool and motor come down cool. Actually, flying half throttle is harder on the ESC, and I often fly the whole flight half throttle or less (I like to harrier the flying wing), and it still comes down cool, even on 100 degree days. I have a 1640 kv motor, but I haven't tried it yet. I use a 1420 kv if I remember correctly, swinging a 7x6.

Another possibility is that the bearings went out in your motor, you had a short between bullet connectors to your motor, a servo stripped or was for some reason drawing too much current.
Thanks, for the info. I have a new ESC ordered and will expose the heatsink to see if that helps. One wire running to the motor is in question after a closer inspection, so hopefully with the new ESC and exposing the heatsink the problem will be solved.
Tarzan3307 is offline Find More Posts by Tarzan3307
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:24 PM
Blythewood, SC
Joined Dec 2003
219 Posts
You are correct Lee, I tried slightly lower rates on the elevator and the wobble was almost completely eliminated. I did the same with aileron and I just don't think there was much if any difference.
Chipped Rotor is offline Find More Posts by Chipped Rotor
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
Well, after some motor issues I finally got my 4s - Microdan 2505 -2500kv Widowmaker in the air. (Great customer service from the Microdan guy(s) fixing my mistake btw).

First trimming flight was fine, brought it down to swap in a fresh battery and on the second run it ended up folding the wing in half under full power. It started to pull to the right and as I went to correct, the load just completely buckled the wing. I had extra carbon spars down the entire length of the wings but it failed about 3 inches from the center line of the plane.

Had this setup in my Assassin and it held up just fine at 115mph, I was hoping the Widowmakers slimmer profile would make it a little faster, but I guess is just a bit too thin.

All part of the game, the plane did it's job and protected the components. Everything will be used in another project. Might just build another Assassin, keep one for combat and the new one for speed.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:21 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipped Rotor View Post
You are correct Lee, I tried slightly lower rates on the elevator and the wobble was almost completely eliminated. I did the same with aileron and I just don't think there was much if any difference.
It is a type of stall and with the big elevons you don't need much movement in the elevator.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:04 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreee View Post
Well, after some motor issues I finally got my 4s - Microdan 2505 -2500kv Widowmaker in the air. (Great customer service from the Microdan guy(s) fixing my mistake btw).

First trimming flight was fine, brought it down to swap in a fresh battery and on the second run it ended up folding the wing in half under full power. It started to pull to the right and as I went to correct, the load just completely buckled the wing. I had extra carbon spars down the entire length of the wings but it failed about 3 inches from the center line of the plane.

Had this setup in my Assassin and it held up just fine at 115mph, I was hoping the Widowmakers slimmer profile would make it a little faster, but I guess is just a bit too thin.

All part of the game, the plane did it's job and protected the components. Everything will be used in another project. Might just build another Assassin, keep one for combat and the new one for speed.
That's Awesome! Would love to see some video!
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
Wasn't recording that flight, but as soon as I get another wing built with that power setup I'll be sure to get something going.

I learn something with each iteration, so the next Assassin should be faster and better.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:17 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Assassin wing 1st build

Here's my 1st wing build, getting close to finishing. I like polka-dots on the bottom of my planes

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:09 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Looks great. Do you have a group down there to knock foam with?
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:36 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Looks great. Do you have a group down there to knock foam with?
Ohhhh yeah! Two of my friends are joining in. One has already got his order and the other will be ordering soon or he'll never hear the end of it!

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:22 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,235 Posts
You can build the thin wings strong enough for big horsepower. I think you should double the spars and put E-tape and double laminate to the tips with minimal foam cut out in the middle.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:29 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,235 Posts
I have received several E-mails asking which motors will give 100+ mph.

Open question to everyone....... Which motors have you tried to get the high prop speed and high MPH?
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:58 AM
Matthew Ceradini
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2011
192 Posts
Is that tape, stickers, or paint that you used? Have a friend building one this weekend and want to recommend the best way to put color/patterns on it. I painted mine but it always chips if I crash or have a rough landing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Here's my 1st wing build, getting close to finishing. I like polka-dots on the bottom of my planes

Blu
Ceradinimp is offline Find More Posts by Ceradinimp