HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:35 AM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javatango View Post
Thanks for the advice, I will stick with the 1300 mah batteries. What is the typical flight time?
8 min full throttle
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
245 Posts
Got out to test my new Microdan setup on my Assassin this morning.

MicroDan 2505 - 2500kv
Master Airscrew 6x4
4s 1000mah 45c
Hobbyking 45amp ESC

Flying weight of about 17.5oz

Doppler had it at 115mph on the first pass and 112 on the second. The 1000mah is way too small and performance dropped off significantly after 3 or 4 wide open passes, but was still pulling over 75mph for another 3 minutes or so.

It makes a hell of a racket with this setup, but I love it.

I will be building a Widowmaker in the next few weeks with a larger battery and faster MD motor, hoping to crack 125.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Jul 2010
205 Posts
I will be building a Widowmaker in the next few weeks with a larger battery and faster MD motor, hoping to crack 125.

Have you seen the videos where wings flap / self destruct in mid air?~~~~~H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:56 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
773 Posts
Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanBlue View Post

I haven't . where do I find them ?

..............te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Jul 2010
205 Posts
Zagi Flap or flutter

search for Zagi flap

SAE Aero Design 2007 - Flutter is pretty specacular~~~~~H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:06 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,622 Posts
As you go faster you will need to harden the plane with more spars or double laminate or more E Tape. Make sure you have enough servo power and the push rods are tied down. Flap is due to forces on a plane that make the plane twist and flex in the air. The faster you go the stiffer the plane needs to be.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:19 PM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
Gday all, I figured I should introduce myself before I ask some questions, My name is Glen and I live in Geraldton in Western Australia, I have only just started flying in the last twelve months, Over the last twelve months, my son and I have bought and built about ten foam warbirds, I have at most 50 flights under my belt as the weather here can be quite windy, so just the other day i saw a youtube vid for these wings crashing into a wall, this piqued my interest so I looked for more and found some flown in windy conditions, I thought "great" that's just what we need, so I ordered a three pack from Crash Test Hobby and they are on their way as we speak, Now as I am on a Disability support pension my budget is low, my son has bought most of the planes we own( I think he buys them to help combat my depression) he's 18 years old and a real good kid, so this leads me to my questions,
1 My glue gun is about as old as my son and I have no idea if it is cold enough to glue these wings so rather than risk it can I use ca to glue the wings together, or if something more flexible is needed, how about the glue from epo foam planes.
2 I have the motor and servo's from the Hobby King Rare Bear funfighter's we had, (over estimated our skills there) will these work as at this time we are not contemplating combat yet.
3 We would like to try night flying as when my son gets home from work its getting dark this time of year so where else can you get those plugs to fit the balance charger, as Plane insane has sold out, or is it a Hobby only product.
That'll do for a start, Thanks in advance and I hope to be enjoying these wings along with you'all soon, Cheers,
Glen.
Austang is offline Find More Posts by Austang
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
hello Lee

all the videos on the rosswell delta seem to be the 30 inch, any footage of the 36 inch?

rgds
captarmour is offline Find More Posts by captarmour
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, CT, New Haven
Joined Dec 2011
166 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I would love to see a front motor mount Roswell.
cmaynex is offline Find More Posts by cmaynex
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:42 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austang View Post
Gday all, I figured I should introduce myself before I ask some questions, My name is Glen and I live in Geraldton in Western Australia, I have only just started flying in the last twelve months, Over the last twelve months, my son and I have bought and built about ten foam warbirds, I have at most 50 flights under my belt as the weather here can be quite windy, so just the other day i saw a youtube vid for these wings crashing into a wall, this piqued my interest so I looked for more and found some flown in windy conditions, I thought "great" that's just what we need, so I ordered a three pack from Crash Test Hobby and they are on their way as we speak, Now as I am on a Disability support pension my budget is low, my son has bought most of the planes we own( I think he buys them to help combat my depression) he's 18 years old and a real good kid, so this leads me to my questions,
1 My glue gun is about as old as my son and I have no idea if it is cold enough to glue these wings so rather than risk it can I use ca to glue the wings together, or if something more flexible is needed, how about the glue from epo foam planes.
2 I have the motor and servo's from the Hobby King Rare Bear funfighter's we had, (over estimated our skills there) will these work as at this time we are not contemplating combat yet.
3 We would like to try night flying as when my son gets home from work its getting dark this time of year so where else can you get those plugs to fit the balance charger, as Plane insane has sold out, or is it a Hobby only product.
That'll do for a start, Thanks in advance and I hope to be enjoying these wings along with you'all soon, Cheers,
Glen.
CA would work, but the servos are too small to pull the large elvons of the Assassin CA is not the best I would use a combo and use your hot glue as it warms up if it gets to hot then just unplug and cool down. The plugs can be had at Hobby king as well but planes insane is a great company to do busness with. Hope this helps
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:42 PM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
CA would work, but the servos are too small to pull the large elvons of the Assassin CA is not the best I would use a combo and use your hot glue as it warms up if it gets to hot then just unplug and cool down. The plugs can be had at Hobby king as well but planes insane is a great company to do busness with. Hope this helps
Very helpful, Thank You, I am sure I'll have many more soon.
Austang is offline Find More Posts by Austang
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
As you go faster you will need to harden the plane with more spars or double laminate or more E Tape. Make sure you have enough servo power and the push rods are tied down. Flap is due to forces on a plane that make the plane twist and flex in the air. The faster you go the stiffer the plane needs to be.
Indeed.

I will be putting multiple spars in the plane and stronger servos. I don't have the airspace to make something truly crazy, I just want to turn some heads with my buddies at our local field.

The Assassin held up VERY well at 100+, no bad handling characteristics or flexing/flapping. It was built to spec from the PDF instructions and it did great.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined Jan 2012
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanBlue View Post

Personally witnessed a Grim Reaper do it about 2 weeks ago.

Learning from my field-mates mistakes and will be strengthening accordingly.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:44 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,042 Posts
Man, I love the widowmaker. I was using it to cut the corn tops yesterday... Still can't get any of the talented circle fliers to be interested in it. They don't know what they're missing. Maybe I should build another one up and not fly it, just so they can see what a shinny new one looks like. I haven't done this because my current widowmaker takes a beating and still keeps on ticking.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:46 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Had a great day poping ballons with my Reaper the action starts at 2:05
Fun Fly 8 July 12 (8 min 2 sec)