HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2012, 07:07 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,390 Posts
BTW elCapitan- I offer my services as referee in this matter in exchange for round trip airfare to Hawaii- This needs to be settled NOW!
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 07:24 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico John View Post
My Assassin has never been a glider, it's thick and doesnít penetrate the air.
The Widow Maker, as I understand it is the same size of the Assassin but not nearly as thick. Side by side flying would show the Widow Maker glide much further because it has a thinner profile and can penetrate the air and move it over the airfoil.
In other words the propís not the problem for the short glide of the Assassin, the airfoil is.
Of course using a brake is using battery power and adding a folding prop, with all that weight, well everything is a compromise.
F-15ís donít glide well either but they go well under power, just like the Assassin.
Good conversation though.
Under power the Assassin and the Widowmaker are hard to tell apart. With the power off the Widowmaker will glide farther. The Assassin will carry a heavier load and its thick airfoil offers better protection to battery and electronics.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 21, 2012, 07:26 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
BTW elCapitan- I offer my services as referee in this matter in exchange for round trip airfare to Hawaii- This needs to be settled NOW!
Combat sounds like a perfect resolution! I'm right, he pays for your trip. He's right, I pay. We're both half-right, you pay for both of us
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old May 21, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Now you tell me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Combat sounds like a perfect resolution! I'm right, he pays for your trip. He's right, I pay. We're both half-right, you pay for both of us
We could have done this when we were living in Captain Cook on the Big Island.
But no....
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old May 21, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmowrey View Post
Helicopters in an autorotation do, in fact, drop out of the sky like a rock; it is a controlled drop. As the heli is falling, the blades are put in to a negative pitch to keep the head speed up since the power has been cut. As the heli nears the ground, the blades are put in a positive pitch to create lift and effectively put the breaks on. I wouldn't say that helicopters with variable pitch capability are a very good reasoning as to whether or not planes with fixed props glide better with their brakes on or off.

If you have further heli questions, feel free to PM me, I fly with the IRCHA president a few times a week.
I understand how autorotations work and they can be done gently (relatively slow descent rate) or more aggressively. If you give it a little more thought, I think you may agree that the descent portion of an auto is, in fact, very much like the Assassin with the windmilling prop example. The helicopter may be at negative pitch but it's only negative relative to what it normally is. If it's descending slower towards the ground than a rock and the rotor blades are spinning (=windmilling), then isn't there some kind of drag involved?
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old May 21, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Quote:
We're both half-right, you pay for both of us
I like this!
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old May 21, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, OH, Urbana
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Here is a video of some High Speed Assassin passes. I shot the video with my phone and for some reason it was set to only shoot at 480 resolution instead of 720. I will blame it on system update that my phone did a few days ago.

Crash Test Hobby Assassin - High Speed Passes (2 min 3 sec)
mdmowrey is offline Find More Posts by mdmowrey
Old May 22, 2012, 09:29 AM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
I got my Gens Ace 1300 batteries from Hobby Partz yesterday and they all appear to be just fine. Whew! I was worried. They weigh 115 grams vs 109 grams for the Turnigy Nano-Tech's. That's with the Power Pole connectors installed.

What do you guys use for Limbo Poles?
Thanks,
David
Ferndale Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Ferndale Flyer
Old May 22, 2012, 09:50 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferndale Flyer View Post
What do you guys use for Limbo Poles? Thanks, David
Limbo poles are anything we can find like tables, trees, fences, water pipes, sprinkler pipes any thing with a gap underneath.

The official limbo like you see in the videos are 3X 5' sections of thick walled 1 1/4" pvc that has a 1" pvc pipe inside to make a double layer. We purchased the PVC off the rack at Lowes. I have a back up set if we break a pipe at the war and so far we have only had one hit so hard it broke the double layer pipe. As I recall the plane was OK after that collision.

I like to stake each pole down with 4 stakes so they don't get knocked down very often. I wanted the poles flexible enough they could absorb some of the impact so they wouldn't tear up the planes. We cut the bottom 1/3 off the flags (that we got from a local party store) so the props wouldn't get tangled up in the pointed flags as much.

Sometimes we just set up a short pole and a single line. This is quick and easy and good if there are only a couple of flyers.

Makes me want to watch more UnCivil War Videos. Thanks Ryan and Will and crash test dummy for the fun.

UnCivil War - sWARm combat and limbo 4-12 (4 min 21 sec)

sWARm Fall 2011 (5 min 17 sec)

sWARm Spring 2012 (2 min 57 sec)
!
Last edited by Lee; May 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old May 22, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Our field is on a capped landfill so we are not supposed to stake anything in the ground. Therefore, our limbo poles are a bit more ridgid in design. The vertical poles are 2" PVC and the cross members are 1/2" metal conduit cover by foam pool noodles. The verticals thread into the bases for easy storage. The cross members can be placed at 1 foot increments ranging from 2ft to 6ft. The span is currently 15ft, it was only 10ft in the photo. It is pretty tight flying and you will know it if you hit the poles.
Old May 22, 2012, 01:07 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmowrey View Post
Our field is on a capped landfill so we are not supposed to stake anything in the ground. Therefore, our limbo poles are a bit more ridgid in design. The vertical poles are 2" PVC and the cross members are 1/2" metal conduit cover by foam pool noodles. The verticals thread into the bases for easy storage. The cross members can be placed at 1 foot increments ranging from 2ft to 6ft. The span is currently 15ft, it was only 10ft in the photo. It is pretty tight flying and you will know it if you hit the poles.
We need some video.
Old May 22, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
We need some video.

I will make it a point to get them set up this Wednesday evening and take the GoPro to the field. Need to start practicing for our combat event June 10th anyhow.
Old May 22, 2012, 01:34 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
913 Posts
Great, but you have to make sure to hit the pole! That's what we really want to see on video
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old May 22, 2012, 02:11 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,338 Posts
Quote:
Great, but you have to make sure to hit the pole! That's what we really want to see on video
I have an idea...this is why everybody likes to watch maiden flights.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old May 22, 2012, 02:17 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Typically on a video, I watch the launch/takeoff and the landing.

Those are usually the two segments that hold any interest for me. And yes, those are the two points where the "rubber meets the road". And, of course, i will watch anything labeled "maiden flight"
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay