HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2012, 08:48 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
Quote:
A windmilling prop is like a disc, not very aerodynamic.
but the prop has the same surface area, whether it's spinning or not. It looks like a disc to the naked eye, but allowing it to spin doesn't actually increase the surface area to that of a disc. At any given point in time, only so much air is moving past each blade. Allowing it to windmill should let the air to move past it easier, because the blade gives less resistance, rather than the air running into a fixed blade that deflects it almost directly sideways, like a sail.

I almost never try to catch my wings anyway, but yes, you're right, putting your hand near a spinning prop is quite dangerous. No stitches, but I've been sliced pretty good. I get around the safety issue by just programming a throttle cutoff switch.

Edit
Unless you were able to put the brake on the prop exactly when the prop was sideways, with each blade behind the trailing edge of the wing... Then you might get a better glide, I guess
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Last edited by elCapitan; May 21, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 08:52 AM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
Electrical connections for LED's

Could some of you post pictures of how you hook up the power to your LED strips?
I got some info from Bombay on it today, but I would like to see how and where that you do it.
Thanks!
David
Ferndale Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Ferndale Flyer
Old May 21, 2012, 08:56 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
Plane Insane has some leads you solder on to the end of the LED strip that plugs right into the balance plug of your lipo. Super handy, only have to solder one side! Works great.

There's a picture on his page here.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:34 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
773 Posts
led's

Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Plane Insane has some leads you solder on to the end of the LED strip that plugs right into the balance plug of your lipo. Super handy, only have to solder one side! Works great.

There's a picture on his page here.
AND of course " out of stock "

.........te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old May 21, 2012, 09:43 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,558 Posts
Tom,

The controller on the top of the page is sold out but the balance connector towards the bottom isn't. Only $2.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old May 21, 2012, 09:59 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,234 Posts
This is how I do most of mine (on the Assassin). I just crimp the ESC leads and a JST connector into my PowerPoles (battery connectors). You would solder the same kind of connector onto the LED strips.

For a little more complex wiring and in-flight electronic switch control, I wire in one of the HK electronic switches. I made a diagram in case it helps anyone.

The balance tap lead is also a good way. I plan to get some of those from HK in the future.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old May 21, 2012, 10:31 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferndale Flyer View Post
Could some of you post pictures of how you hook up the power to your LED strips?
I got some info from Bombay on it today, but I would like to see how and where that you do it.
Thanks!
David
I like to intentionally make the plane look confusing so spectators can't easily tell what they are looking at.

I use the balance plug. Here is a link to our web site explanation.

http://crashtesthobby.com/articles/night-flying

Here are a few pictures to go with the text. The first two pictures are of the eclipse this weekend.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; May 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:53 AM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
where do we get these balance plugs?
anyone have a link?

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old May 21, 2012, 11:02 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,626 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_bag_.html

As usual they are out of stock but they come in occasionally. It doesn't matter which plug is on the other end so that gives more options.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r=&LiPoConfig=
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 21, 2012, 11:05 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
Or Plane Insane, like I linked above
Old May 21, 2012, 12:06 PM
United States, OH, Urbana
Joined May 2010
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairnut View Post
anyone have a link?

nut
EPBuddy has some but the female end may have been beefed up which might add a small amount of weight.

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=124
mdmowrey is offline Find More Posts by mdmowrey
Old May 21, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
but the prop has the same surface area, whether it's spinning or not. It looks like a disc to the naked eye, but allowing it to spin doesn't actually increase the surface area to that of a disc. At any given point in time, only so much air is moving past each blade. Allowing it to windmill should let the air to move past it easier, because the blade gives less resistance, rather than the air running into a fixed blade that deflects it almost directly sideways, like a sail.
The comment above is totally incorrect.
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old May 21, 2012, 02:55 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
Hey, I'm not saying I'm the highest authority on this, but it seems logical and the physics are sound. If I missed something, let me know, but simply saying it's incorrect doesn't help any of us.

Where did I mess up? You can't be saying a spinning prop actually has more surface area to resist the wind, so...?

I'm totally open to correction, if you can show me where my explanation fell short! If I am wrong, I like to learn, so I'd be curious why, truly.

...and when it comes down to it, your own experience trumps any explanation on a forum. If you feel like your plane glides better with a brake, by all means, put on the brake!
Old May 21, 2012, 02:57 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,312 Posts
Brake vs. windmill
If you are ever bored and really want to kill some time do some internet searching on this topic. Some very smart and very experienced people still continue to disagree on this subject.

I suspect the only way to truly get the answer is with computerized wind tunnel testing (I don't have one) and probably the results would vary with the pitch of the prop and the style of the plane.
But seat of the pants tells me I glide further with the brake set.
I also find that very often (sure, not every time) the prop lines up with the TE of the wing when it stops.

Mark me up in the "set the brake" camp.
Lee advises people not to use the brake.
I set the brake.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old May 21, 2012, 03:00 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairnut View Post
anyone have a link?

nut