Old May 19, 2012, 02:10 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Face it. You are an addict.
I do like the plane, I use it to warm up for my Super Vyper and Extra. It requires some quick reaction times the way I fly it, but if I have dumb thumbs, or is often the case, I am just pushing my luck (e.g., I did a wing scrape recently), it seems to survive over and over again.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Just a Thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferndale Flyer View Post
Hi Guys,
I received the Orange 6 channel Rx from Ryan at PlaneInsane and it worked flawlessly. I ran all four batteries through it with no quitting of the power system!
I am stoked.
The Orange Rx is double the weight of the last inferior Power Up brand Rx and so my balance changed. I checked it before leaving to go fly and thought I had it pretty close to right but I had to hold up elevator the whole time. I trimmed it up with the trim but it still wanted to dive to the earth.

Could that be a symptom of not having enough reflex set into the elevons?

Thanks,
David Culver
Turn the plane upside down and think of the elevons as an extension of the gradual curve of the underside, not the centerline of the airfoil. They will follow that curve. When you have something like that trimmed out, flip it over and it will show the elevons directed up compared to the top side shape, reflex. You are not following the centerline of the wing here.
With the prop attached, align it vertically and sight down the wing, side to side. What is the angle of the propeller to the wing? Iíve nosed mine in several times and it bends the Stainless steel mount and changes the near perpendicular angle the prop is to the centerline of the airfoil.
That changes the thrust angle and redirects the wing up or down. A test of something like this would be to compare the plane when itís under power and off-power. When you change from a cruise to full throttle what does it do?
Some things to look at anyway.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old May 19, 2012, 04:26 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmowrey View Post
One option to cut the weight of the Orange Rx is to remove it from the case. I put a piece of 3/4" shrink wrap tubing on. I think the weights are as follows:

Stock - 12g
Naked - 4g
With shrink wrap - 6g
Yep, that is what I did...and it does help with the weight...you have to shave less foam too.

Ferndale: Beware, not all counterfeit Spektrum receivers are of the same quality.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old May 19, 2012, 06:50 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
600 Posts
Orange Rx sources

Whose Orange Rxs is the best? I have a couple 4 chnl from Hobby King that seem to be good but a couple new ones will not bind to my DX8. Flying my Widow with 4 chnl HK Org Rx since day one. No issues at all. Ordered a AR6115e.

Have flown last dozen Widow flights fin-less. Not as stable as with fins, but easily controllable and keeps me on my toes. Loops and rolls are not very pretty.
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Last edited by allelectrik; May 19, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old May 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
Reflex

Thanks guys for your questions.
I just went and checked what reflex I have now. It's maybe a tiny bit too much but not very much out of whack. I will adjust it.
I turned it upside down to check it, and I took out the up trim I had done this morning so the elevator trim was back to center before I checked it. So it is clear to me now that it was a CG problem. I will do a better job of balancing it before I go out in the morning.

I did find that my prop saver was loose. Not spinning because the bolts were bearing on flats I cut in the shaft but loose. I put more Locktite on and snugged them up.

Where does a guy get 3/4" shrink tube?

I'll check the thrust angle / possible bent motor mount before flying again. Thanks Bombay.

I learned a good lesson this morning. What little wind there was this morning at 6:30 was from the East. That's also where the sun was. One launch ended up right in the sun just as it was climbing out and I lost it and crashed it hard. I saw the battery go flying and I never took my eye off of that spot, and I walked right to it. It was lucky because this field does not get mowed and the grass is a little long. So on subsequent launches, I changed the angle a little so I could get it up in the air more before it crossed in front of the sun.

I have to confide in you all. After flying when I am driving home I am so relaxed and driving the car becomes kind of like flying the plane. I go slower and am very careful to make my adjustments to the steering wheel more slowly and it's a mind thing. Flying is so much fun.

I had a great morning of flying. I wish I could go fly right now, but there is maintenance on the Assassin to finish and I need to cook dinner.
Cheers Friends. I love this hobby and this plane.
What a great site this is. Thanks again.
David
Ferndale Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Ferndale Flyer
Old May 19, 2012, 09:12 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Where does a guy get 3/4" shrink tube?
Among other places, you can get it at Fry's Electronics. You might have one near you. Shoot me your addy and I will send you a piece large enough to do two rx's.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old May 19, 2012, 09:44 PM
Sorry, but they're all toys.
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
David,

Autoparts stores tend to have the shrink tubing. If you want to get really fancy and seal things up nice, you can always go by the West Marine or any other marine store down in Bellingham (there are two others near the marina) and get the marine shrink tube with adhesive inside.
Eric Odle is offline Find More Posts by Eric Odle
Old May 20, 2012, 12:14 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
I fly my widowmaker at 22 oz. She does just fine. I wouldn't worry about the weight.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old May 20, 2012, 03:18 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,158 Posts
I flew Tom's Assassin yesterday and he has the motor from a Reaper on it and a 2200 mA 3S battery. He has it trimmed in really well. It has no bad habits and flies amazingly well. Straight up is another direction and it is unlimited. I think his Assassin is about 24 oz.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 20, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Heat shrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Odle View Post
David,

Autoparts stores tend to have the shrink tubing. If you want to get really fancy and seal things up nice, you can always go by the West Marine or any other marine store down in Bellingham (there are two others near the marina) and get the marine shrink tube with adhesive inside.
If you have a Harbor Freight store near by check them out too.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old May 20, 2012, 09:35 PM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
Clear 1" diameter shrink tube

I found it online at Platt Electric. I'll check out their store in Bellingham tomorrow.
I got lucky today and got to fly my Assassin twice. 8 batteries total and it never quit in flight. It was great.

I'm starting to think about some kind of light weight poles for limbo training. What kind of poles do you guys use?

On the video of the Boys and their toys flying through the hockey goal posts, do they have the brake set to "ON"? It seems they glide so easily through the goal posts and when I get my Assassin to glide with no motor power, the windmilling prop really slows it down. Do you guys use the brake function?
Thanks,
David
Ferndale Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Ferndale Flyer
Old May 20, 2012, 10:26 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferndale Flyer View Post
Do you guys use the brake function?
I only use the brake function on my two wings that have folding props. Seems to me that if you used a brake on a fixed prop, you'd be creating more drag than allowing the prop to windmill.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old May 21, 2012, 12:07 AM
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
Use braking if you want to glide ever. A windmilling prop is like a disc, not very aerodynamic. A hard brake will stop the prop and create less drag, allowing you to glide somewhat. I've been flying large props (8" on a 30" Scythe) and have definitely seen this in effect.

On my 24" McClain Wing, I'm flying a 7" prop, and my 1811 motor is unable to stop it from windmilling. The thing drops like a rock when you take the throttle off. The answer is to always have some throttle on unless I want it to stop flying.

Sometimes it's nice to know that the prop is completely stopped when you are flying it back to yourself to catch it. I've already had an incident with my 8" APC, chopped the tips of my fingers on a too-lazy pizza throw launch with my Scythe. I launch it from the wingtip now!
Old May 21, 2012, 08:35 AM
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Odle View Post
Use braking if you want to glide ever. A windmilling prop is like a disc, not very aerodynamic. A hard brake will stop the prop and create less drag, allowing you to glide somewhat. I've been flying large props (8" on a 30" Scythe) and have definitely seen this in effect.

On my 24" McClain Wing, I'm flying a 7" prop, and my 1811 motor is unable to stop it from windmilling. The thing drops like a rock when you take the throttle off. The answer is to always have some throttle on unless I want it to stop flying.

Sometimes it's nice to know that the prop is completely stopped when you are flying it back to yourself to catch it. I've already had an incident with my 8" APC, chopped the tips of my fingers on a too-lazy pizza throw launch with my Scythe. I launch it from the wingtip now!
If you think of the prop as a buzz saw you will give it more respect!!~~~~H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old May 21, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
I started on those GWS props and didn't have much issue with prop strikes... Composite props are a whole different animal. If my Scythe didn't have so much static thrust and excellent initial stability from the streamers, I would have probably thrown it harder and would have been fine. Plus the chopper dangles 4" below the wing, which is a lot when you are throwing it over your head.

Yet another lesson learned the hard way!