Great news! Satisfying, isn't it?
Will be when it takes to the air!!
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old May 18, 2012, 04:45 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
816 Posts
A rewound 2812

Well , my exicitement dwindled at the field QUICKLY .My friend was there to help me hold the plane while hooking up a watt meter

Somewhere ? i read don't WOT at first so held throttle stick at approx 80 %
timing was set to HIGH

Wheww watt meter showed a very high amt of watts [ forgot now that I am home] but Amps = 40 + using a 30 amp ESC I cut it off quickly and with that very short time ? ESC was getting hot .

So quit while I was ahead . Told friend - maybe someone on forum has some
wisdom and knowledge on this

Then flew for 2nd time one of Lee's foamy's , and all of sudden Whisp of white smoke came out ? New motor from planeinsane . urrrgg .............te
Any INput would be greatly welcomed

At least I had one more plane to fly ...... te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old May 18, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
what prop were you running? 40 amps is high with the rewind. with a full battery and WOT while holding the plane, I only hit 36 amps. 8 winds or 9?
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
Old May 18, 2012, 10:15 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Definitely check the spar- no need to rip off the covering.
If the spar is cracked just run a blade along it and slip another spar into the same slot.
I just checked without removing the foam--it seems to be folding just after the spar. I'll have to pick up some more CF tomorrow and extend it I guess. Or I can just stop doing 70-80 mph dives with sudden elevator movement.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old May 18, 2012, 11:04 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Or I can just stop doing 70-80 mph dives with sudden elevator movement.
Yeah, but something tells me that you would get bored pretty quickly.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old May 19, 2012, 01:06 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
I just checked without removing the foam--it seems to be folding just after the spar. I'll have to pick up some more CF tomorrow and extend it I guess. Or I can just stop doing 70-80 mph dives with sudden elevator movement.
Face it. You are an addict.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old May 19, 2012, 01:58 AM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
What's up with HobbyPartz & Gensace?

In the past 8 months I have ordered a charger, 9 batteries, and 2 ESCs. The charger's backlight did not work and HobbyPartz RMAed it with no problem. The rest were all fine and came within a week.

Comparison of 1300 Nanotech vs Gens Ace: no discernable power difference with a 9 turn 2812 rewind. Also, comparing 2200 Nanotech too GensAce, there was a slight perceived advantage with the Nanotechs. The Gens Ace are a little heavier, but they have a thin Aluminum plates on top and bottom of the battery making them more crash deformity resistant and better for combat.
No affiliation with Hobby Partz.

I am thining of ordering a couple of the Proton 40 amp ESCs. What program card works with them?
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Old May 19, 2012, 08:09 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
816 Posts
prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomprat View Post
what prop were you running? 40 amps is high with the rewind. with a full battery and WOT while holding the plane, I only hit 36 amps. 8 winds or 9?
7 x 6 APC on the 2812 re wind , same prop as was on org 2812

any suggestions ? thanks ...te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old May 19, 2012, 11:12 AM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
It's a beautiful day

Hi Guys,
I received the Orange 6 channel Rx from Ryan at PlaneInsane and it worked flawlessly. I ran all four batteries through it with no quitting of the power system!
I am stoked.
The Orange Rx is double the weight of the last inferior Power Up brand Rx and so my balance changed. I checked it before leaving to go fly and thought I had it pretty close to right but I had to hold up elevator the whole time. I trimmed it up with the trim but it still wanted to dive to the earth.

Could that be a symptom of not having enough reflex set into the elevons?

Thanks,
David Culver
Ferndale Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Ferndale Flyer
Old May 19, 2012, 11:13 AM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
Hobby Partz battery order

My batteries ordered from Hobby Partz are on the way so now I will see what they send me. I hope they are new and in perfect condition. The Gens Ace batteries are a little heavier than the Nano-Tech's so I will wait until they get here to make a battery bay location adjustment in my Assassin.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:15 AM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
Orange 6ch Rx

I feel liberated not having to worry about my power system quitting in flight all the time. Now I know how much fun you guys have been having all of this time. Now I just need to go out and fly some more again and again and after a while I will believe in the Orange 6 ch Rx.

Did you guys see the video where some mates in Australia were testing the Orange Rx and flew their slope glider for a long ways and it was still controlling the plane. I don't know the actual distance the plane was from the radio but the guys on the ground were telling the pilot what stick changes to make using a cell phone because the pilot could not see the plane.

Thanks for all of your help during my power system problems.
David
Old May 19, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Magic Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
Well , my exicitement dwindled at the field QUICKLY .My friend was there to help me hold the plane while hooking up a watt meter

Somewhere ? i read don't WOT at first so held throttle stick at approx 80 %
timing was set to HIGH

Wheww watt meter showed a very high amt of watts [ forgot now that I am home] but Amps = 40 + using a 30 amp ESC I cut it off quickly and with that very short time ? ESC was getting hot .

So quit while I was ahead . Told friend - maybe someone on forum has some
wisdom and knowledge on this

Then flew for 2nd time one of Lee's foamy's , and all of sudden Whisp of white smoke came out ? New motor from planeinsane . urrrgg .............te
Any INput would be greatly welcomed

At least I had one more plane to fly ...... te
Time for some forensics. Look the wiring over closely before you take it apart. Itís smoked so there is going to be at least one circuit discolored from the heat. When routing the wire onto the stator it is always possible that the insulation got broken. Obviously the wire is bent back and forth but the insulation doesnít like to be bent more than once. After that it will tend to crack , or when routing it around the teeth the insulation might have been poked cutting the insulation.
Iím thinking that if the insulation is compromised then the heat that builds up through the wire will find and exit and overheat at the compromised area. With the motor working well for a short period of time and making some heat in flight, well itís something to think about and look for anyway.
My rewound 2812 was noticeably warm after running 2 or 3 batteries through it without turning off the transmitter
Iím using a H-K blue 30a ESC and wel,l I donít know what the ESC heat was as it is buried in the foam but was warming up Iím sure. A 4th battery didnít prove anything as the plane went into the weeds and sat there so long that the battery failed before I found the plane, 3 hrs. later.
I ruined several windings from bending the wire too many times and just threw it away and started over with new wire.
Donít give up, this is a steep learning curve, especially if youíre like me, no one to talk to or compare with. Without this site I wouldnít be flyng.
Thanks to everyone for the ongoing support.
Good luck.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old May 19, 2012, 12:59 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,579 Posts
@ Ferndale Flyer

If the plane is diving and you've got the CG correct then, yes, not having enough reflex could cause the diving you're experiencing.

What is your reflex set at right now?

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old May 19, 2012, 01:28 PM
United States, OH, Urbana
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferndale Flyer View Post
The Orange Rx is double the weight of the last inferior Power Up brand Rx and so my balance changed.
One option to cut the weight of the Orange Rx is to remove it from the case. I put a piece of 3/4" shrink wrap tubing on. I think the weights are as follows:

Stock - 12g
Naked - 4g
With shrink wrap - 6g
mdmowrey is offline Find More Posts by mdmowrey