HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 10:32 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,312 Posts
+1 on the Nanotechs
Get them from the US Warehouse.

I've been running 1300mah Gensace and Nanotechs side by side.
Performance wise they seem equivalent.

I'm doing the same with the 2200mah and have not had the same kind of luck, the Gensace are all performing poorly at this point and need replaced. I suspect that Gensace quality control is hit and miss.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 10:39 AM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
+1 on the Nanotechs
Get them from the US Warehouse.

I've been running 1300mah Gensace and Nanotechs side by side.
Performance wise they seem equivalent.

I'm doing the same with the 2200mah and have not had the same kind of luck, the Gensace are all performing poorly at this point and need replaced. I suspect that Gensace quality control is hit and miss.
to add to that, I ordered 5 props from PLANES INSANE last night and they will be here by Sat. Just a quick praise to a company that cares. If you have not tried the Nanotech, give them a shot but they do come with the XT-60 connector (which I like)
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old May 17, 2012, 10:51 AM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
Hobby Partz

I have purchased Sky Lipos from Hobby Partz 1000 mah for a different plane but have been using them with my Assassin. They seem to be OK. I also have one Turnigy Nano Tech 1300 for the Assassin. It seems to be OK also. I don't have years of experience to base an opinion on.

When you mentioned that you used Gens Ace Bombay, I went and purchased 4 1300 mah batteries from Hobby Partz. That was almost a week ago. I received an initial response from them saying they received my order, but I have emailed them twice since then asking about an estimated ship date and no response at all.

Now I am wondering if I should try to cancel my order. I didn't know that you could file a claim with PayPal. I guess that is a good reason to use them for everything. I did not use them for this order. I'll have to email Hobby Partz to cancel my order and hope they answer it. I'm stuck this time but oh well, live and learn.

I did order an orange Rx from Ryan and it is on the way. I hope it will be the solution to my power system problems.

Thanks for posting Bombay. Knowledge of this kind of problem should spread like wildfire so all of the other people using Gens Ace and Hobby Partz don't fall into the same trap.

Without the Paypal claim option, how could I get them to refund my money if Hobby Partz sends the batteries and they are puffed?
Ferndale Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Ferndale Flyer
Old May 17, 2012, 10:53 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmowrey View Post
That stinks about receiving bad batteries.

Our club uses the Blue Lipos and Sky Lipos from Hobby Partz. I have become the club's parts dealer and have ordered 57 batteries from Hobby Partz since April 2011: 25 Blue Lipo 1300, 12 Sky Lipo 2200, and 20 Sky Lipo 1300. All were received without issue.

The one time I did receive a defect item (strip of LEDs) from HobbyPartz, they sent a replacement within a few days without requiring me to return the defective part. That was last year though and perhaps their customer service is beginning to slip.

EDIT TO ADD: I have not flown the Sky Lipos yet. Those who have replaced their Blue Lipos with the Sky Lipos have said they like the SKY Lipos better because the seem to have more power. That comparison may just be a perception though because they are comparing new Sky Lipos to old Blue Lipos.
Yeah, i am the clubs part dealer or at least recommender for the Assassin. I calculated that I have ordered ~45 of the gensace bats for the club...and i have 7 for myself.

RE: Sky vs Gen vs Blue
Here is a nifty chart produced by hobbypartz.
http://site.hobbypartz.com/battery/batterytest.htm

It shows that Sky (and blue), sag in voltage fairly quickly compared to Gen or TP. However, notice they do not show Nano-tech or the other brands. Yep, maybe GensAce quality control has gone down as their sales have gone up.

I think I will be switching to Nano or another brand going forward.

As George W once said, "if you fool me once, shame on me. if you fool me twice, uh. I mean, fool me once, shame... uh, never mind."

BTW - I do like GW. I think he rocks.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old May 17, 2012, 10:56 AM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
Hobby King US

How do you order from Hobby King US warehouse?
Old May 17, 2012, 10:57 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,234 Posts
Quote:
When you mentioned that you used Gens Ace Bombay, I went and purchased 4 1300 mah batteries from Hobby Partz. That was almost a week ago. I received an initial response from them saying they received my order, but I have emailed them twice since then asking about an estimated ship date and no response at all.
Sorry about that. At the time, i would have recommended them anyway. Like I said, that is what the majority of our club Assassin flyers use. I'll shoot you an email with a name you can try to get your order to ship. Then again, they might have sold out. I think their inventory system is like mine...a pencil and a piece of scrap paper.

If they can be shipped or have shipped, I would still give them a try.

Quote:
You log into hobbykind, and you can either click on the USA Warehouse icon on the right side menu or just find the batteries you want and they should show which warehouse it is located within. BTW - you cannot order things from more than one warehouse on the same order.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old May 17, 2012, 10:59 AM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferndale Flyer View Post
The item description says USA warehouse in the title. You can filter by those in each category too so that it just shows you items available in a specific area. They won't let you put items from multiple areas in a shopping cart which is nice perhaps to avoid mistakes.
dennisjm is online now Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old May 17, 2012, 11:31 AM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
Hobby King US

Thanks Bombay and mulicheng.
I am learning... sometimes it just takes asking. Just like Socrates. He said "My way to the truth is to ask the right questions".
Thanks again.
David
Old May 17, 2012, 01:27 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,312 Posts
There is a pretty big learning curve with this hobby.
Learning your way around HobbyKing and other vendors is a big part of it.
These forums have been super helpful in helping me manage the learning curve.
Old May 17, 2012, 04:08 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
Big learning curve, but incredibly friendly and helpful community. I wouldn't have successfully built/flown/re-built/kept flying and enjoying as many planes as I have without everyone in these forums, and the few of them I've met in person.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old May 17, 2012, 07:04 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,603 Posts
+1 on the Nano-tech
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by WMParkFlyer; May 18, 2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 11:37 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,038 Posts
Screen capture from widowmaker pulling out of a dive from about 300 feet with a 30 mph tailwind.

I might need to take the covering off and check the CF?
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Aug 05, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:17 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Sep 2006
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
Screen capture from widowmaker pulling out of a dive from about 300 feet with a 30 mph tailwind.
ouch! Can you tell a difference in resistance by hand?
MikeD096 is offline Find More Posts by MikeD096
Old May 18, 2012, 11:06 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
773 Posts
Thanks for the Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Tom,

Maybe this diagram will help a bit... I hope. Each arrow is where you'll actually do your 9 or 10 winds, or however many you're doing, before moving on to the next arrow. You can see how the first pair are wound towards each other, and the second pair away from each other. (But you have to keep looking at it with the same side as the top, remember!)

When you're done with this set of 4 teeth, just rotate and start with the next open tooth. That way you end up with 6 loose ends. Once each two adjacent wires are twisted into pairs, those become the 3 leads you solder your bullet connectors onto, just like in the video.
Just checked # 1 re-wound 2812 , setting timing to HIGH and it works
now to check # 2 re-wound motor ..............te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old May 18, 2012, 11:31 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,312 Posts
Definitely check the spar- no need to rip off the covering.
If the spar is cracked just run a blade along it and slip another spar into the same slot.