HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Twisted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
Don't know if it will work or not - will find out shortly Had to back up several times as CRS kicked in , to find out how many turns were on the tooth .Then noticed my phase two was not exactly 180 deg from start , so started over on that phase ..
Once the correct wires are twisted and soldered together you will have to ask yourself something.
Am I ready for this?
It might just freeze in place, something I know quite well, sparks might fly if there's a short, something else I learned. Or it's gona' sping like it's never spun before and know that one full well too.
I suggest you have a place to fly right away. The thought of having all that power and no way to use it...
Charge those batteries Tom.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Last edited by Chico John; May 08, 2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: edit
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 02:05 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,455 Posts
Excellent pic from Mark...
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old May 08, 2012, 02:07 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
828 Posts
purty

Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Can't really tell about the winds on the teeth, but my guess is the winds are correct, but the twists are wrong. As far as twisting together sets of two wires to make the leads, I think you tried to get the ends of each wound pair together, when you really need to get adjacent wires together. (Remember how at the end of the video, the guy spins the stator on the table and says "it doesn't matter" if you lose track, just pick two adjacent wires?)

So, according to your colors, you should have a green/yellow, a red/green, and a yellow/red twist. In other words, once all the teeth are wound, forget about pairs and patterns. Just pick a loose wire, and twist it together with the wire right next to it.
I just thought they would be pretty this way ha . One thing I like about the forum
others pick up on what ya messed up on , then you can correct the situation before BAD leads to Worser Thanks for pointing this out . UN doing it now - I'm learning ...........te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old May 08, 2012, 02:07 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Excellent pic from Mark...
Hey, that's what I was saying, but in a picture!
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old May 08, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
something something thousand words.....
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
Old May 08, 2012, 02:16 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,455 Posts
Quote:
I'm glad I didn't have to break out the crayons
Old May 08, 2012, 02:38 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
828 Posts
Marc's

Quote:
His look better , I notice wires on mine are touching tween the teeth, even as hard as I cud pull to snug em up tight on the Tooth .

I may just do the wind over again ? If I plug mine up , will have fire ext nearby - sparks may cuz my dogs to run out the back door and parrotts screaming - Wife is gone so that won't matter

I'll try this one and see - got some more motors and plenty of wire - If I run out of wire , only 40 to 50 min drive to get some more

If I don't post anything else ? Y'all will know the thing blew and I am up in space somewhere floating around ..............te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old May 08, 2012, 02:43 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
The wires touching between the teeth shouldn't matter, since it's insulated wire. Some of mine do too, as the winds go from one tooth to another.

Good luck!
Old May 08, 2012, 02:52 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,455 Posts
Just hook it up.
If it doesn't smoke on the bench go out and fly.
Hang on to your shorts.
Old May 08, 2012, 02:57 PM
TeachSeventh
Houston
Joined Dec 2008
114 Posts
Correct Delta Termination

The termination in this photo is considered to be Delta. It makes a big difference in which two adjacent wire pairs are twisted together correctly for each phase. Get it right and it should work beautifully; wrong and it usually won't run at all or very poorly and you can even damage your ESC. See the attached PDF that has diagrams for winding and termination.

Best regards,

Joe
W5BSA is offline Find More Posts by W5BSA
Old May 08, 2012, 03:13 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5BSA View Post
The termination in this photo is considered to be Delta. It makes a big difference in which two adjacent wire pairs are twisted together correctly for each phase. Get it right and it should work beautifully; wrong and it usually won't run at all or very poorly and you can even damage your ESC. See the attached PDF that has diagrams for winding and termination.

Best regards,

Joe
We're actually talking about DLRK, not delta. No worries, Tom, it shouldn't matter which two adjacent wires you twist together.

...either that or I've gotten extremely lucky 4 times in a row, now
Old May 08, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Dumb Luck

Quote:
We're actually talking about DLRK, not delta. No worries, Tom, it shouldn't matter which two adjacent wires you twist together.

...either that or I've gotten extremely lucky 4 times in a row, now
I've got five rewound and tied together just as the last picture shows. And they all work.
Beings all this great information came out a few weeks after I did mine there can be no other reason other than dumb luck that I got it right.
Little suckers are sooooo fast.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old May 08, 2012, 06:25 PM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
Color

The color on the bottom of my Assassin WAS monocoat on top of laminate. Today on my second outing as it flew over my head it was making an awful racket so I brought it down and the monocoat was coming off. It's off now.

I experienced a little too much wind for my experience level today and when it went down I started right off walking toward it without lining up a landmark and a line to follow to get to it. I almost lost it and when I found it it was in plain sight. Next time I will take Lee's advice and make sure I know the line it went down on before I move to go look for it.
Ferndale Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Ferndale Flyer
Old May 08, 2012, 06:54 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,455 Posts
Sounds like you are the victim of the downwind turn.
I've seen it get even get some very experienced pilots.
Even if your plane appears to be flying fast in the tailwind you actually need to throttle up because your airspeed is much slower.
If you are flying in big wind you want to fly into the wind as much as possible.
Throttle up in your turns and as you turn away from the wind you need to already be thinking about turning your plane back into the wind.
It can be fun once you get the hang of it.

Glue down your flapperage and keep having a good time
Old May 08, 2012, 07:24 PM
TeachSeventh
Houston
Joined Dec 2008
114 Posts
DLRK is the winding scheme, Whether you wind DLRK or ABC you can choose to terminate Delta or WYE. Delta termination does require you to select the correct adjacent wire pairs.

You have a 50% chance of getting it right when guessing. Sounds like you guys have beat the averages and gotten it right 100% of the time

Here's the reason it matters. When wound DLRK each phase (wire color in your photo) has a start and end. As you wind it is best to label which end of the wire is the start and which is the end. They alternate as you move from one phase to the next until you have gone all the way around and wound all three phases. As you can see in the legend below the start of one phase called S1 must be connected to the End of phase 3 and so forth on down the list.

Look at my previous PDF attachment page 24 and you will see how to label each phase as you wind so you can ensure selecting the correct pair for Delta termination as seen in your photo.

DLRK
Point 1: Solder S1 and E3 together
Point 2: Solder S2 and E1 together
Point 3: Solder S3 and E2 together
Note: Point 1, Point 2 and Point 3 are connected to Electronic Speed Control (ESC)

Best regards,

Joe
W5BSA is offline Find More Posts by W5BSA
Last edited by W5BSA; May 08, 2012 at 08:10 PM.