HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
I did just that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
If you burn the insulation off, it often leaves a black soot. Just wipe it off or use a little sandpaper. It will come off and expose the bare copper. I used a propane torch then some 220 sandpaper. A couple soft swipes is all it takes.

The video shows him burn it with a lighter and it's ready to go, but the insulation on this wire is far tougher than that radio shack stuff.
After suspecting contamination I did just that and had better results and that is why I just scraped the wire and cleaned it with some alcohol and continued on.
Whatever floats your boat (and gets a good solder joint).
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 12:14 PM
United States, OH, Urbana
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
The tape pattern looks pretty sweet on the ground, though.
This picture is a year old. It was probably taken shortly after the maiden flight. Look how clean it used to be...

I found some 8.5x11 sheets of adhesive prismatic foil, similar to the prismatic tape, at the local craft store for less than $1.00 per sheet. Once I found a pattern I liked, I reversed it to make a mirror image and I printed it on the paper backing of the adhesive sheet. Next I cut the pattern with an exacto knife. Once cut, I place the pattern on a piece of clear contact paper with the foil against the contact paper. This allowed me to peel the paper backing off of the adhesive foil sheet and still be able to handle the foil. Next, I slowly placed the contact paper and foil on the wing using the edge of a credit card squeegee the air out. Finally, I peeled the contact paper off, leaving the prismatic foil on the wing.
mdmowrey is offline Find More Posts by mdmowrey
Old May 03, 2012, 01:03 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
awesome. thanks for sharing the method to your madness.
where do you get said contact paper?
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old May 03, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, OH, Urbana
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
awesome. thanks for sharing the method to your madness.
where do you get said contact paper?
Contact paper is that peel and stick shelf liner that you can find at almost any retail or home improvement store. It comes in several patterns and colors including clear.

Amazon Link

I am not too far off from finishing my Scythes, perhaps I could prepare a tutorial...
mdmowrey is offline Find More Posts by mdmowrey
Old May 04, 2012, 11:27 AM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico John View Post
This is one, disregard the construction part of course but the winding part helped. The other video I used, it has a sound quality and focus problem but between the two, and other videos out there, you'll be fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHYlW...feature=relmfu
this looks easier than how I was trying to do windings?

would this pattern work on the red motors as well as the original winding tutorial back in this thread?

Thanks

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old May 04, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Winding

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairnut View Post

would this pattern work on the red motors as well as the original winding tutorial back in this thread?

Thanks

nut
I'm not qualified to answer many questions on the subject having only ever rewound 5 motors and only flown one. But with that said I am having dificulty understanding the question. That doesn't mean that you wrote it wrong, It's beyond what little I know. My first wind resulted in a stationary stator, I wound it wrong and had to try all over again. So my knowledge doesn't take me far on the subject yet.
Old May 04, 2012, 12:21 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairnut View Post

Thanks

nut
I'm not an expert either...

The pattern in the video linked above is for a 9 tooth stator- (the little red motors are 12 tooth)

The little red motor will need to be wound with the below method (or some variation)
This vid
Rewinding the Hobby City CF2812 10 turns 26 gauge LRK method. (4 min 26 sec)

or this vid
Motor Winding Tutorial (HobbyKing CF2812) (10 min 56 sec)
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old May 04, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Of Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post

The pattern in the video linked above is for a 9 tooth stator- (the little red motors are 12 tooth)

The little red motor will need to be wound with the below method (or some variation)
This vid
http://vimeo.com/4022424
or this vid
http://vimeo.com/18554942
That explains why my first motor didn't move!!! Watching the wrong video.
Old May 04, 2012, 02:13 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
The second video JetPackNinja posted is the one that I used, and I just got back from flying my Widowmaker. That was the first motor I re-wound myself, and it worked without a hitch.

...other than I figured out I need to change the timing on my ESC to "high"...

HOLY CRAP! That Widowmaker is a bullet! I thought my Assassin was zippy, but I launched that widowmaker with the re-wound motor, expecting to throttle up on launch about the same as I did when the motor was still stock. Boy, was I wrong! That thing took off!!!
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old May 04, 2012, 02:13 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,564 Posts
Awesome-
I think I smoked the first two on the bench.
I watched the right video, just didn't translate all of the concepts correctly.
The other ones I smoked in flight. The radio shack wire doesn't seem to handle the 9 and 10 wind setups very well. The last one I did with the radio crap wire and 11 turns, we'll see how that holds up but I won't be winding any more with the crap wire. The next rewind will be with the good stuff
Old May 04, 2012, 02:28 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
832 Posts
esc to high

Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
The second video JetPackNinja posted is the one that I used, and I just got back from flying my Widowmaker. That was the first motor I re-wound myself, and it worked without a hitch.

...other than I figured out I need to change the timing on my ESC to "high"...

HOLY CRAP! That Widowmaker is a bullet! I thought my Assassin was zippy, but I launched that widowmaker with the re-wound motor, expecting to throttle up on launch about the same as I did when the motor was still stock. Boy, was I wrong! That thing took off!!!
If I wind the 2812 correctly and it works does that mean I will need
to change the timing in the ESC??

.............te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old May 04, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post

.............te
Mine didn't and that's a good thing because I wouldn't have a clue to change it or even if it's changeable. We bought it cheap 3 years ago and I could barely understand (and read) the tiny little writing and of course there's the translation.
If it works, it works but be prepaired to make that change.
On second thought I don't know that I even got it to full throttle. It's got a lot of power, it has more than I can use right now and I may have not gotten to WOT yet.
Old May 04, 2012, 04:59 PM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post

This vid
http://vimeo.com/4022424
or this vid
http://vimeo.com/18554942
OK I was afraid of that, using that video and my confusion I have never gotten one to run yet,
I am glad they are so cheap that tossing them out doesn't hurt at all.
and I think I have 10 or so left,
they are good enough stock for "fur ball combat" for sure

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old May 04, 2012, 05:14 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,564 Posts
At six bucks a pop they really are almost disposable

I have a few spares as well but haven't been confident enough to tear the windings out of a perfectly good motor. YET

I don't break the stock ones nearly as much as I used to.
Probably for two reasons mostly.

I throw away the little grub screws and replace them with 3mm socket head screws. They get a lot of blue locktite. I use so much locktite, that when I replace the motor I actually have to use some heat to get the motor out of the base. Mounting it securely keeps the motor from spinning in the base and keeps that twisting from breaking the motor wires where they exit the motor windings.

Adequate strain relief on the wire leads. With the Assassin I usually hot glue the wire leads down onto the plane so they aren't flexing and moving in flight or in crashes. On some of the other planes I have zip tied them to the motor mount.
Old May 04, 2012, 05:52 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
hot glue, that's a good idea to keep the leads down. I've been using a little 1" strip of e-tape.

Quote:
Quite possibly. If you don't have the instruction booklet that came with it anymore, but they sell it on HK, then just go to that ESC's page, and below the description there's a "Files" tab that should have the instructions.

Or get a programming card. I kept saying "aw, I can read the booklet and do it with my tx, I don't need to spend money on a programming card." ...until I got one. Wow, it makes things easy! I know Ryan sells one that's compatible with the Super Simple and Hobbywing brands.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan