SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Seff

I saw quite a few assassins at the night bowling last night. I didn't know I was going to stay for the night stuff or I would have brought mine.

Very cool stuff.
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:17 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferndale Flyer View Post
This may be a stupid question, but how do I know where zero is on the throttle trim adjustment? Is it just where the ESC engages?
Thanks again.
David
What I was trying to explain was that once you are able to get your ESC to initiate, then go back and try to set your throttle trim clicker to 0...along with your throttle stick (all the way down).

set your throttle trim clicker to 0 - what this means is that there is no "up" trim or "down" trim on the throttle channel. On the DX7, this is shown on the LCD screen as a "clear" marker on the scale. If there is any up or down trim the marker is shaded.

On some ESCs, even after calibration, it still will not be recognized without a few clicks of down trim. If that is the case, that is okay, just leave the trim set there.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
Has anyone out there flown a stock CF2812 on a 4 cell? I've been having a great time flying my new Assassin on a 3 cell. But I have this new 4 cell sitting in my box doing nothing...
earthsciteach is offline Find More Posts by earthsciteach
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:35 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
I don't think its rated for that, but order some wire to re-wind it, then try it and let us know how it goes.... it only a few bucks for the wire. And the re-wind performs better than stock on 3s anyway, so the way I see it, you have nothing to loose.

Even better if you get it on video. Fly the 3s first then smoke it on the 4s so we can watch too...!
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
Ha ha! Will do! I am planning on ordering the Microdan wire anyway. I did hook up the 4 cell and give it a short bench test. It sort of scared me! WOW!
earthsciteach is offline Find More Posts by earthsciteach
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,561 Posts
HobbKing rates it for 3-4s.
Other places that carry it rate is 2-3s.
My guess is it'll probably smoke on a 7x6 (on 4s).
Might be fine with a 6x4, but I don't know anybody that has tried it.
Would be interesting to know...
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:08 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
A little video from the last UnCivil War in Utah.

UnCivil War - sWARm combat and limbo 4-12 (4 min 21 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:45 AM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
Sub Trim Function

Thanks Bombay for your help. The radio system is fine now, recognizing all receivers and spinning the prop on command.
I have a question about the "sub trim function". It says to be careful to use it in small amounts because I could over-drive a servo.
I think I can see that, but could someone expound on it for a few sentences on the pitfalls and the best way to use it?
Great video Lee. I hope someday I can be there for one of those swarms.
Thanks guys. This is such a cool hobby and such a great place to talk about it.
Ferndale Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Ferndale Flyer
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:03 AM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
A little video from the last Uncivil War in Utah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEe6ws2DcQ
Well I missed a great time, just could not get the funds and timing right, will shoot for next year. Would love to see the vid that the dummy got too cool.
Thanks for the post Lee for all of us that was there in spirit.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:09 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
I have a question about the "sub trim function". It says to be careful to use it in small amounts because I could over-drive a servo.
I think I can see that, but could someone expound on it for a few sentences on the pitfalls and the best way to use it?
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I use and understand it this way...

I set my regular trim to zero. I manually/mechanically center my servos, control surfaces, and adjust my control linkages. Often, however, I find that one or more of my servo arms are not completely centered. That is where the sub-trim comes in. I go in and sub-trim the servos to finish out the centering. The best that I can recall, about 10 clicks of sub-trim is equal to about 1-2 clicks of regular trim. So, I normally only have to sub-trim a servo by 10-30 clicks. If you have to do more than that to center them, then there is probably still room to mechanically center them. That is how I use sub-trim.

I have not had any problems with overdriving my servos after sub-trimming them, but I suppose that might happen if you rely too much on sub-trim (i.e, 80 clicks) instead of first making sure the servos are mechanically centered.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:46 PM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
Thanks Bombay, that helps a lot!
David
Ferndale Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Ferndale Flyer
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:54 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Has anyone out there flown a stock CF2812 on a 4 cell? I've been having a great time flying my new Assassin on a 3 cell. But I have this new 4 cell sitting in my box doing nothing...
You would have to wind it completely different if you wanted it not to fry with a 7x6e.

I would suggest 12 winds of 25 ga wire (you won't be able to fit 24 ga.). Or 7 turns with Wye termination = 12.1 turns Delta (23 ga wire would be best if you have it).
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old May 01, 2012, 08:54 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Mar 2004
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
A little video from the last UnCivil War in Utah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEe6ws2DcQ
]

Makes you want to move to Utah. Looks like great fun was had by all. That's the way to promote the hobby. Nice job filming. Would like to see that GoPro video from the dummy.
air mail rcg is offline Find More Posts by air mail rcg
Old May 01, 2012, 11:41 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
K.C. Good data, but I got the impression he was asking about a stock cf2812

Quote:
Has anyone out there flown a stock CF2812 on a 4 cell?
I could be, and often are wrong. (or would it be am??) see I told ya
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old May 01, 2012, 11:52 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,561 Posts
Teach- Do you have a watt meter?
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja