HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
New NightFlyer

I've finished building the wing minus wiring up the ESC, which I'm waiting on a new one. Here's my lights. I'll get a video of the night maiden when it happens. Looks pretty cool on the bench. All of the wiring/lights are covered with laminate so there's nothing to catch in combat. A prop strike make pop it though.
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
384 Posts
I found out something quite interesting today during my lunchtime Assassin flight...

The Assassin flies pretty darn well with one channel as Aileron and the other as Elevator!!! I did a build a couple of months ago with some club mates and somehow set my model up as a normal airplane and not with Elevons. The wing always felt a little different to me (I have a Widowmaker and this Assassin replaced one that I lost in a swamp behind the field), but I could never figure out what the difference was; in fact one of the other guys I fly with really enjoyed flying mine during a swap, saying that it was a lot less sensitive with the same expo and rate settings.

My problem was that it just didn't have the same roll rate I was used to and the rolls were almost always somewhat of a barrel roll, which I blamed on my stupid thumbs. I remember thinking once that the left aileron wasn't working correctly but again I blamed it on my thumbs.

Today it had to be rebound to my transmitter and when I went into the trim settings, I noticed the mistake. I simply rebound it to a copy of my Widowmaker setup (to save time) and it flew like the old Assassin that I was used to!

So if your transmitter doesn't have any fancy mixing, apparently you can still fly an Assassin with standard controls, it will just be a bit less sensitive.

javabeans is offline Find More Posts by javabeans
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:03 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomprat View Post
I've finished building the wing minus wiring up the ESC, which I'm waiting on a new one. Here's my lights. I'll get a video of the night maiden when it happens. Looks pretty cool on the bench. All of the wiring/lights are covered with laminate so there's nothing to catch in combat. A prop strike make pop it though.
That looks awesome! I can't wait to see that in flight. Wow.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:03 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
You Fellas in Utah LOOK out he Boys from Idaho are getting ready

This was our first combat session, no points scored but lots of good flying and we tried hard. My bud has only flown his wing 4 times prior to this session, he had two unscheduled stops no damage and was back in the game....what a blast.
Our First Combat Session (5 min 48 sec)
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:11 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,640 Posts
Now you are in the air at the same time try some ...........

Combat Games

Fox and Hound - The group flies a low circle or a figure 8, always turning away from the crowd. Those at the front of the pack slow down and those behind try to catch up for the hit. As soon as they are ahead they slow down. You score by making contact. Many times the planes can be flown out of the contact and spin without hitting the ground. You get a "Nudge" if you just bump and a "Hit" if a plane rolls over because of the impact. The circle gives the fliers the ability to cut a corner to catch up or to go wide to slow down.

Streamers on Planes - This is more traditional combat where the planes have streamers out the back. On flying wings we put a center streamer or streamers on each wingtip and try to cut the streamers in the air. A variation is that one plane has a streamer and so is marked as the target plane and everyone tries to knock them out. In our group that does not mean hit the streamer.

Limbo - You can see our limbo poles in the videos but if you look back on some of our older videos you will see us use soccer goals for limbo poles. In limbo you can score however you want. Our most common limbo is won when you are the first to score 10 points. You score 1 point by going under the wire and two with some other factor such as inverted or an even harder lower wire to go under.

Skills - Simultaneously everyone will launch, do 3 loops, then 3 rolls and land, and the first with plane in hand wins. We have even done this with a required catch at the end to win. We have also required 2 catches to win. This is a favorite of some of the fliers. Did I mention that when you realize you are losing you try to take out the other plane so he can't win either?

Pylon Racing - An old favorite, but it takes on new meaning when you aren't afraid to collide during the race. We use our Limbo poles as the pylon poles for the races. We have been known to have one group go clockwise and another go counter clockwise.

Retirement party - This is how we get rid of old planes. It is usually that old Warbird or Slowstick or 3D plane that is near the end of it's life and so we euthanize it with the Assassins and other combat style wings. This is also a club favorite.

Bomb drop -
I have a bomb release on my plane. We set up a target and people drop washers with a streamer on it and score by getting the closest to the target.

Streamer drop -
I can carry and drop a roll of crepe paper or 1/3 roll of toilet paper and the group tries to chop it up in the air while it is floating down. A big challenge is to get the streamer to land close to the flight line.

Balloon Bust and Kick the Can - Take a 1/4" - 36" dowel and poke it in the lawn. Tape a balloon to the top. What makes this intense is everyone is trying at the same time to pop the balloon and traffic gets low and heavy. The dowel will knock down easily if hit and rarely hurts an EPP wing. It has been suggested that a pop can on the dowel makes a great sound when it is hit.

Parachute drop - The parachute drop is great for Scout groups or kids. Each Scout brings a light parachute and they get dropped from the bomb drop 3 at a time. The Assassin can easily carry the weight. The flier tries to hit a target but the boys don't care if he misses. The Cub Scouts think this is great and love to chase. The boys have spent previous meetings making and coloring their parachutes. This gets fun when you have 3 fliers dropping the parachutes as fast as they can.

Night Combat - Combat is also fun in the dark. We have had a great time chasing each other around with lighted planes. The danger comes when you collide in the dark and the lights go out and you can't find your plane. Take your mosquito repellent and a headlamp.

Fly in Formation - It is harder to fly together than to fly combat. Fly in formation and do rolls and loops together.

Paintball and Airsoft - It is fun to shoot at the planes. The shooter should set the paintball and airsoft guns at a low power and the pilot should realize what is about to happen. Low passes through the gun range will have a new intensity. The planes are harder to hit than you may think but when they do it definitely leaves a mark.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:04 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Will do and share the vid, Hope to meet you and the boys soon
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:49 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Sesson 3 of combat flying

Beyond bliss in the throws of my addiction
As we learn to fly Combat (4 min 48 sec)
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:02 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
372 Posts
500th Assassin Flight

See attached video of the 500th flight of my Assassin. Almost a year of flying it and dozens of crashes later, it still flies great.

My son and I are trying to hit each other. Well, it's more like my dog trying to catch a squirrel. I know we should slow down and fly a pattern for better success but we both enjoy flying fast and erratic.

The motors are rewound CF2812s with 9 turns of 24 ga MD wire.

Video was taken with a 808 #11 keycam attached to my hat:

500th Assassin Flight (4 min 1 sec)
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:28 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Flyer View Post
See attached video of the 500th flight of my Assassin. Almost a year of flying it and dozens of crashes later, it still flies great.

My son and I are trying to hit each other. Well, it's more like my dog trying to catch a squirrel. I know we should slow down and fly a pattern for better success but we both enjoy flying fast and erratic.

The motors are rewound CF2812s with 9 turns of 24 ga MD wire.
Looks like a lot of fun. Great father and son activity. One of my sons and I have gone night flying together the last 3 out of 4 nights.

We are hearing that quite a few people are rewinding with 9 winds of 24 ga wire. Have you burned any of those motors out?

The secret to hitting in combat is to slow down and stay close. We use slow controlled flight not ballistic flight to get the most hits. The person in front slows down and the back persons speed up. Try to fly formation and then pull the formation into a collision. It is also fun to set up a balloon and both of you try to hit it or go bowling and knock something down. We had fun a few months ago when a big tumbleweed blew in and we started to hit it with the planes.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
We are hearing that quite a few people are rewinding with 9 winds of 24 ga wire. Have you burned any of those motors out?
I've rewound 4 or 5 motors now and no burn outs yet. I sold my last assassin to build a night-flyer and I had probably 70 flights, and the guy who bought it has put another 20 on it with no issues. I've got people paying me a few bucks here and there to rewind theirs after they see the HUGE power gain. I don't mind doing it too much for now, but it does take quite a while. The worst part is getting the glue off the stater from the original winding.
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:12 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
No burn outs yet. The history of that motor is approximately as follows:

Flights 1-50: Stock (dull)
Flights 51-130: Radio Shack 26 gauge - 10 Turns (better but failed in flight)
Flights 131-500: MD 24 gauge - 9 Turns (Wahoo!!!)

Flight 501: Crash which bent shaft (video to follow ~next week). Replaced bell and shaft. Now flying as good as new.

The bearings are still the original. I remove them every 50 flights or so, soak and spin in lacquer thinner, let dry overnight and then oil well with Scorpion Lube:

Scorpion Lube

Lots of black crud comes out when I soak the bearings. The directions say to use a small drop of oil. But I use more and work it in. Then wipe excess oil off. Seems to work for me.
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Last edited by KC Flyer; Feb 21, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:56 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Flyer View Post
500th flight? wow, that is impressive...for any plane. So how do you keep track of your flights? Do you keep a log book or something?
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:43 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
773 Posts
Assassin Fins ?

Fins or NO fins for the Assassin ? what are the Pro's and Con's ?

...............te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:36 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,312 Posts
The Assassin flies well either way. What kind of flying do you want to do?

Flies great with fins. Fins add stability. Mostly helps avoid yaw and the tendency to wiggle coming out of turns. Have to be careful not to make the plane tail heavy, but not too big of a deal.

Flies great w/o fins. Wiggles a little coming out of turns, a little easier to over control into a flat spin.

Some people complain that the fins get knocked off easily in combat, crashes and putting the plane in and out of the car and stuff. I've never had much problem. Even in combat my fins very seldom get knocked off.

I do like tossing my Assassin into the middle of a stack of flying wings and not having the fins to worry about.

It were me it would come down to whether or not you want to fly combat or not.
Is this your first wing? You can always start out with fins and take 'em off later.

Better yet, get the Assassin for combat and cut it for finless flight and build a Widowmaker for flying around for fun
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:10 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,009 Posts
You have to do it without fins if your going to be doing any combat. If it's just a fun flier, do it with fins.
Ryan
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC