HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:48 AM
Paulo72
Portugal, Lisboa, Odivelas
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
Well Finally made my first video of my assassin wing, it was nearly nigth but I think it came out great.

Just have to say, that it has put alot of peaple talking about this wing were I fly, because it hasent no fins and they say that it cant fly like that, but when it guetes in the air they just cant belive the why it flys so smooth

RC ASSASSIN WING / ASA COMBATE (6 min 4 sec)

And have to say thanks to lee for all the help he gave me.

Regards to all.

Paulo
Paulo72 is offline Find More Posts by Paulo72
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:35 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,390 Posts
The MG90s available from HobbyPartz and HobbyKing are fine and holding up well.
They work great and are recommended for Assassin sized planes.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:47 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo72 View Post
Well Finally made my first video of my assassin wing, it was nearly nigth but I think it came out great.

Just have to say, that it has put alot of peaple talking about this wing were I fly, because it hasent no fins and they say that it cant fly like that, but when it guetes in the air they just cant belive the why it flys so smooth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx48YYzZbwA

And have to say thanks to lee for all the help he gave me.

Regards to all.

Paulo
Nice catch at the end. Great looking plane!
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
MG90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
The MG90s available from HobbyPartz and HobbyKing are fine and holding up well.
They work great and are recommended for Assassin sized planes.
Good to know!
I looked up on the CTH website to see what the recomended servo was to use and went looking for a couple last week.
I nosed the Assassin in again the other day and had to install the last cheap servo in it, no spares left. Metal servos were too expensive when I built the wing more than 2 years ago and I just slamed in a couple $6 or $7 cheap plastic geared servos.
Anyway I went to the HK website last week and they were out of stock, I ended up getting a different named but identical metal sevos for $7 each. Towerpro was what we ended up with, T-pro (or something like that) was what HK is out of stock of but they look and measure identical to each other.
Amazing how the prices keep coming down on some of this stuff.
Perfect conditions today gota go!
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:52 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
I know that many of you have installed the less expensive hobbypartz servos on your wings. I heard some initial feedback that they were working just as well as the Hitec servos.

So, have they stood the test of time in combat? The Hitecs that everyone at my club is using have been bulletproof. We have a few new planes ready to roll with some less expensive metal gear servos (i.e., hobbypartz, etc) so I just wanted to get an update as to whether they are holding up as well as the hitecs.
They are now the recommended servo. I have 20+ of them and have only broken one in combat. I even have them on all three of my Hercules which are bigger heavier planes. Keep in mind they only have 2 Kg thrust so maximize your leverage for minimal servo strain when you build.

Talking about prices dropping on electronics. I still use batteries I paid $60 for that are now about $10. I have a $105 ESC and we used to fly the Assassin with Razor 400 motors that would cost us $65-$90 each. Servos never have been the super high price but they have gotten better and smaller.

Radios are much more durable. They used to have a lot more interference and failures.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:01 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allelectrik View Post
Hope I got it right this time!!
If I am flying alone, night flying or up on the slopes I love to fly my Widowmakers. I have three ready to fly I keep in my car in case of emergency.

They are the right size for a car trunk and they fly great.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:10 PM
United States, OH, Urbana
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
I just purchased 8 New Power Servos model XL-9HMB from EPBuddy.com They are rated at 3 Kg and only $5.99. I mainly purchased them for my Scythes and to include with the extra kits I bought to sell to club members, However, I have a feeling that I may end up building a new wing for myself(maybe a cut down Titan). I won't be able to report on performance until then.
mdmowrey is offline Find More Posts by mdmowrey
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
If I am flying alone, night flying or up on the slopes I love to fly my Widowmakers. I have three ready to fly I keep in my car in case of emergency.

They are the right size for a car trunk and they fly great.
I have three ready to fly I keep in my car in case of emergency.

You keep them in the car and troll looking for excuses to stop and try out the air.
Nothing wrong with that, just saying.
Twelve steps...
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:03 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
My wife says RC is cheaper than therapy.

By the way the first 6 steps of the 12 step program is my bucket list of where I want to fly before I die.

Here is one of my favorite trips.

Flying RC at 12000' #1 of 4 (6 min 24 sec)

Flying RC at 12000' #2 of 4 (6 min 3 sec)

Flying RC at 12000' #3 of 4 (6 min 33 sec)

Flying RC at 12000' #4 of 4 (8 min 39 sec)
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:06 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,994 Posts
Hi. I just bought an assassin yesterday and i have a few questions about the power system.

1. Will this motor work well? I want a little more power than recommended and saw this one.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma72-2215-1700kv.html

2. Will this prop work well? I've never used this brand and don't know if it will work as good as an apc.
http://www.valuehobby.com/emp-neodym...itar-prop.html

Thanks.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:23 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,390 Posts
The motor looks like it should work fine.
The specs look good and I'd like to see what kind of results you get with it.
HobbyPartz doesn't give prop recommendations so choosing a prop will require some guesswork.

That prop works fine on the recommended little red motors.
Only way to know for sure if it (or any prop) works well with with the motor you are going to use it with is to check it with a watt meter. I have used these props on some larger motors and they pull significantly more amps than the 7x6 APC or APC clone props do, enough more that I smoked some motors and ESCs
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:36 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
The motor looks like it should work fine.
The specs look good and I'd like to see what kind of results you get with it.
HobbyPartz doesn't give prop recommendations so choosing a prop will require some guesswork.

That prop works fine on the recommended little red motors.
Only way to know for sure if it (or any prop) works well with with the motor you are going to use it with is to check it with a watt meter. I have used these props on some larger motors and they pull significantly more amps than the 7x6 APC or APC clone props do, enough more that I smoked some motors and ESCs
Thanks. yeah I'm going to go with that motor. In one of the reviews someone said they were using a 7x5 with great results so I figured a 7x6 would work but I never used that brand of prop.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:52 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,390 Posts
Get or borrow wattmeter!

My best guess is that you will be fine with a 7x6APC on that motor, but it's only a guess
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:02 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
They are now the recommended servo. I have 20+ of them and have only broken one in combat. I even have them on all three of my Hercules which are bigger heavier planes. Keep in mind they only have 2 Kg thrust so maximize your leverage for minimal servo strain when you build.
Just FYI, there are (at least) 2 versions of this servo:

The MG90 and MG90S. The only difference is the gear ratio (and the MG90 cost $1 more). The MG90S is faster but has less torque.

MG90: 2.2 kg-cm & 0.11 s/60 deg @ 4.8v $7
MG90S: 1.8 kg-cm & 0.10 s/60 deg @ 4.8v $6

I splurge and use the MG90 for the extra torque and have been happy with them so far:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg90.html
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
That's good FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Flyer View Post
Just FYI, there are (at least) 2 versions of this servo:

The MG90 and MG90S. The only difference is the gear ratio (and the MG90 cost $1 more). The MG90S is faster but has less torque.

MG90: 2.2 kg-cm & 0.11 s/60 deg @ 4.8v $7
MG90S: 1.8 kg-cm & 0.10 s/60 deg @ 4.8v $6

I splurge and use the MG90 for the extra torque and have been happy with them so far:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg90.html
So based on those numbers the MG90s was the best choice for my Assassin, quick not requiring too much torque.
Good information, thanks.
Beautiful day today in No. Cali., mid 60's no wind, perfect.