Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:34 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
After a couple of hits you will need a 12 step program. Addiction is such a wonderful thing. Before long you will be chasing anything that flies from non combat planes to butterflies.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:40 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
I forgot to mention a big thank you to the "target plane" pilot, Ken, (flys 747's for a living)whom had only flown my reaper briefly once the week before, did a great job and reallly enjoyed flying the reaper as our target. He expressed a great interest in purchasing a CTH wing. I sent him a link.!
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Last edited by wheelspinner20; Jan 08, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Jul 2009
803 Posts
Just flew my assassin for the first time!! After a couple of mis steps at launch, we got it up and it was a blast to fly!!!
TheTrashMan is offline Find More Posts by TheTrashMan
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:31 PM
I used to like trees
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeflyer94 View Post
Just flew my assassin for the first time!! After a couple of mis steps at launch, we got it up and it was a blast to fly!!!
Congrats! It is such an excellent wing. I'm amazed at its performance every time I fly it.
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Jul 2009
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchank View Post
Congrats! It is such an excellent wing. I'm amazed at its performance every time I fly it.
Thanks!! It was a lot of fun to fly!! I just need to perfect my launching technique!!
TheTrashMan is offline Find More Posts by TheTrashMan
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:21 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!! It was a lot of fun to fly!! I just need to perfect my launching technique!!
Probly just overthinking it.... do it like this. Works for me. The reaper on the right is 31 oz.!

VID00059 (0 min 23 sec)
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Probly just overthinking it.... do it like this. Works for me. The reaper on the right is 31 oz.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTWWGoiyigE
Make a mental note to look down the wing when launching and make sure it's level with the horizon when you let it go with 3/4 or so throttle. It will just gain altitude if it's level when you let go.
Amazing little piece of foam.
Man that looks cold out there. Burr
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Last edited by Chico John; Jan 07, 2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Add burr
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:31 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Man that looks cold out there. Burr
Well, about 38 f. but when you consider its Michigan on Dec 31st, it was like spring time.! I'll take it every time.! It was 42 here yesterday! really incredible. I have a feeling we will be paying for it in Feb. though!
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:07 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
587 Posts
Maidened my Widowmaker this afternoon. After working out some set screw issues away she went. A club member tossed the first flight, I tossed the next 3 flights.

My first wing. I was worried about the launch and sensitivity of the control surfaces, but E1Allen and Wheelspinners video was posted just in time. Thanks guys.

I put in Lee's recommended throws (3/8")in the DX8. Only a few trim clicks and she was flying straight and level, hands off at 50% throttle.

Weight w/o batteries is 13.6oz. CG is at 6.5". Did not use weights to get the CG. Looks like I can get about 6:30 out of each battery.

Landings are a snap.

Wish there were combat wings flown in this area but no such luck.

Would like to get the Assassin later.

Thank you to all those who posted information on this forum to make this a delightful assembly and a great maiden.

No pics.
allelectrik is online now Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:10 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
587 Posts
Wheelspinner,

I was curious about my scale so I did a check. Measured weight of 7 quarters, using the average weight of each quarter as per Wikipedia, I think my scale is +/- 1%.

Going to take the Widow to a postal scale sometime soon just to see how close my Harbor Freight scale is. I don't trust it because it will not change modes from gms to oz to lbs anymore.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:45 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Thats not necessary, I wasnt trying to be so incredulous, the scale comment was more of a joke than a challenge. You obviously did a great job watching your weight.

But do share the set up and contruction. motor prop esc or did you ommit some stuff like some do. for example, skip the tape on the elevons and just do 2 coats of lam... etc. Nicely done, a light wing flys and crashes way better than a heavy one.

Pat
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:00 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
587 Posts
Wheelspinner

No prob on the scale...I doubted its accuracy and did the comparison check out of curiosity.

The build is pretty much as per the instructions, the "don't do the/do this list" and the vids on Crashtesthobby.com website. Here's the parts list:

Emax CF2812

apc 7x4e (waiting for 7x6 to arrive from lhs; a website indicates the 4" pitch prop
has more thrust and less amp draw than the 6" pitch; the 4" provides
plenty of speed, power to me, but this is my first wing; will try the 7x6 after it arrives)

TowerPro MG90 servos, secured to wing with 2-sided sticky tape, holding good

AR6115E

E-flite 30amp esc, going to replace this with 18 amp esc for additional weight saving, secured using 2-sided sticky tape

Crash Test Hobby stainless motor mount, attached with 2-sided sticky tape and the Extreme tape and laminate. Seems very solid after 10 flights.

prop saver

I taped and laminated as per the instructions, but I did not tape the control surfaces. They seemed stiff enough w/2 layers of laminate.

Metal set-screw type pushrod connector on both ends of both pushrods.

1.37 mm piano wire pushrods. Going to get a Z-bender, eliminate 2 of connectors.

Velcro only holding the battery to the wing top.

Horns are stock, cut off as per instructions and hot glued, top and bottom

Stock corex fins

These first few flights were to get the crashing done and over with, test the cg and handling of the plane. I'll improve attachments and do a few things to reduce the weight a little more. Probably install a battery strap, eliminate 2 of the pushrod connectors, smaller esc, eliminate the esc/motor connectors by soldering, etc.

Flew 3 more batteries today. All self-launched. No crashes or even close calls. Stable, predictable flying.
Last edited by allelectrik; Jan 08, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:40 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
587 Posts
Widowmaker pictures

Here's 2 pics of the Widowmaker maidened yesterday

i'll try this again
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:47 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
587 Posts
Widowmaker pictures

Hope I got it right this time!!
Last edited by allelectrik; Nov 12, 2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:52 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,234 Posts
Alternative servos - what's the verdict?

I know that many of you have installed the less expensive hobbypartz servos on your wings. I heard some initial feedback that they were working just as well as the Hitec servos.

So, have they stood the test of time in combat? The Hitecs that everyone at my club is using have been bulletproof. We have a few new planes ready to roll with some less expensive metal gear servos (i.e., hobbypartz, etc) so I just wanted to get an update as to whether they are holding up as well as the hitecs.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay