SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:44 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2009
23 Posts
I hope my english is not to bad, because I speak only some words of your language.
Lee, is it possible to get a 1:1 picture of the used jig and a picture/video of the cutting procedure/setup for the Assassin?
I started cutting EPP some month ago. My first attempt was something like your pinata. The airfoil was a modified Clark-Y with 18% thickness (round 50 mm) and 285 mm lenght. It flys great.
But now I saw your fin-less Assassin and I would like to build something like this. It seems so easy to start and catch this plane and it looks so cool
Robert77 is offline Find More Posts by Robert77
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2009, 01:49 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert77
I hope my english is not to bad, because I speak only some words of your language.
Lee, is it possible to get a 1:1 picture of the used jig and a picture/video of the cutting procedure/setup for the Assassin?
I started cutting EPP some month ago. My first attempt was something like your pinata. The airfoil was a modified Clark-Y with 18% thickness (round 50 mm) and 285 mm lenght. It flys great.
But now I saw your fin-less Assassin and I would like to build something like this. It seems so easy to start and catch this plane and it looks so cool
Robert

Where do you live??? I'm glad you found us.

What kind of foam are you using? Are you using the foam cutter from our club site? There are foam cutter plans and a video at www.utahflyers.org. The Assassin is cut using this same method.

This plane is very similar to the Pinata. The same airfoil will work but the tip of the wing needs to be a larger percentage of the root of the wing. The Pinata Gorda has a 3:1 root to tip ratio and the Assassin has a 2:1 root to tip ratio. This makes the tip thick enough to cut the stabilizing angles into the wing tips.

The 18% Clark Y will work well if you use large elevons. If you put small elevons on it it doesn't fly as well. If you look back on some of the first posts you will see I have done CADD drawings on sweep and discussed the stabilizing of a wing without fins.

Good luck.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jun 11, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:31 AM
Los Angeles Area
Joined Dec 2005
483 Posts
I just ordered mine, will be getting one s0on
Jimmi is offline Find More Posts by Jimmi
Old Jun 12, 2009, 02:03 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2009
23 Posts
I´m from Germany. I watched nearly every video at your club side. That was the reason for me to start working with EPP. Before I found your webside I only flow depron planes.
I used your instructions to build my foam cutter.
I use 20g/dm³ EPP. I think, that must be the same as your 1.3
btw how long is your cutting bow for the assassin? Is it the shown 40" bow?
Below two pictures of my foam cutter and my "copy-pinata"

Robert
Robert77 is offline Find More Posts by Robert77
Old Jun 13, 2009, 07:43 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
Here is another video.

Assassin #5 New RC flyer in a Storm (4 min 7 sec)
Old Jun 13, 2009, 08:08 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
Good job Robert. I'll PM you with more details.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,394 Posts
Lee, I live in Brasil and would like a wing like this! How can we do?
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:39 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio
Lee, I live in Brasil and would like a wing like this! How can we do?
We do ship to Brazil.

E-mail TJ and he can give your more information. crashtesthobby@gmail.com

I have updated the building instructions in post 7 and 8 showing how to add a shock absorber to the wing. This is a great idea I got from a builder.

As you can see I am trying to add all kinds of ideas to this thread that will improve flying wing durability.

Most of the ideas we are getting e-mail at the crashtesthobby@gmail.com site. Don't be afraid to post here too.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:42 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
Here is some fun

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_...r=vimeo.com&sh
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:35 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Care Bear Assassin

The first Piñata got painted pink on top of the tape but it didn't last, so now we have Care Bear tape which can be found at www.etsy.com in many variations.

I followed the construction instructions for the Assassin and before I covered it had balance at 6-1/2 inches but after applying the tape I had to add weight.

John and Kelly
Chico, CA (northern California)
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Jun 19, 2009, 03:26 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,378 Posts
Hi! Maidened my Assasisin today! Have one problem with the setup that I'm hoping you can set me straight on..

I'm a longtime fixed wing'er but neophyte wing flyer. The CG is right at 6.5" and about 45º throw each way. Have an 1/8" up reflex.

Upright - no problems. Can fly hands off. Some wobble after flying a max-rate roll and stopping abruptly.

The problem is inverted flight. Straight and level takes a fair bit or forward stick for level flight and outside loops are near impossible. Just doesn't seem to have enough throw to push it around.

I'm wondering if the pushrod wires are bending too much from air pressure when applying down elevator? Or might it be something else in the setup?

Either way, hope you can help.

Thanks,
Mike
stanordave is online now Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Jun 19, 2009, 04:17 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Assassin set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave
Hi! Maidened my Assasisin today! Have one problem with the setup that I'm hoping you can set me straight on..

I'm a longtime fixed wing'er but neophyte wing flyer. The CG is right at 6.5" and about 45º throw each way. Have an 1/8" up reflex.

Upright - no problems. Can fly hands off. Some wobble after flying a max-rate roll and stopping abruptly.

The problem is inverted flight. Straight and level takes a fair bit or forward stick for level flight and outside loops are near impossible. Just doesn't seem to have enough throw to push it around.

I'm wondering if the pushrod wires are bending too much from air pressure when applying down elevator? Or might it be something else in the setup?

Either way, hope you can help.

Thanks,
Mike
Hey Mike, To begin with we are very new to flat wing, powered planes, formaly having flown floater slope planes.
With that said there is something that I have read about setting up these planes that might help. With the servo centered remove the arm and reinstall it at least one spline forward and readjust the elevons to level. This will allow for more throw down on the elevons than up. From what I understand this increase in the downward throw will allow for more acrobatic flying, inverted, outside loops and things like that.
Anyone with more knowledge than me want to expand on this?
Please Mike keep me, us, informed on how this works for you.
Good luck.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:41 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,005 Posts
Try moving the cg back a little and retrim for level flight.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:02 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico John
Hey Mike, To begin with we are very new to flat wing, powered planes, formaly having flown floater slope planes.
With that said there is something that I have read about setting up these planes that might help. With the servo centered remove the arm and reinstall it at least one spline forward and readjust the elevons to level. This will allow for more throw down on the elevons than up. From what I understand this increase in the downward throw will allow for more acrobatic flying, inverted, outside loops and things like that.
Anyone with more knowledge than me want to expand on this?
Please Mike keep me, us, informed on how this works for you.
Good luck.
I agree

Also you might try to put longer horns on. I can do outside loops with my Assassins.

If you have a programmable radio you can program how much elevon roll vs up vs down is programmed in.

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Jun 19, 2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:54 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
I'm hearing some people are having trouble finding the bidirectional tape at their local stores. Here is a link to mail order it. I bought a couple of rolls of the 2" reinforced tape and it is enough to do at least 4 Assassins per roll.

http://www.findtape.com/product328/J...ping-Tape.aspx

Or here if you want to build a lot of planes

http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...=18-33277160-2

I have heard people have found the Scotch Extreme Tape (bidirectional tape) at Home Depot, Lowes and Staples for $7-$10 a roll.

I have been asked about the hxt 900 servos in the Assassin. They will fly the plane but the first hit in combat and they will be no more...or at least their gear integrity might be compromised. I use the 900s on the Peregrine wings and on the Capricorn and on the Snowball but I don't use them in combat or on the Peregrine tail. For these I use the HS82MGs.

Motors. Many different motors will work, I designed the stainless steel motor mount manufactured to fit the CF2812. You can add any holes you want to fit your motors. You want a motor with 20+ oz of thrust.
Last edited by Lee; Jun 20, 2009 at 07:54 AM.