SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:47 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Happy New Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
Thanks Chico My buds listened to every word and both Assassins came in under 19 OZ. They have only been flying for three months and the only other plane they have flown was the 3 channel Champ. They did great
And you have a really nice place to fly too.
Combat coming up?
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:59 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Lee, check for a p.m.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:14 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico John View Post
And you have a really nice place to fly too.
Combat coming up?
You bet, but right now it would be a blow out. They need a little more stick time. But that was the reason they got them. I also bought the extra one from them for my son. We will see ya in the spring for the next Uncivil War. We will see if the four wings out of Idaho can get a hit or two in. lol
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:24 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,564 Posts
Nice thing about the sWARm. You'll get a hit or two in. You'll hit us, we'll hit you. It's all good fun.

Time to jump in on the official sWARm trash talk thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1547646&page=6
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:46 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico John View Post
Then fly that sucker and good luck it's balanced and will fly just fine. Just limit your elevon throw to about 3/8" each way.
Good looking build you're going to have a blast.
It flew great last week, just added some color to it.
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:23 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Looks good too

Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
Here is my wing after I added some color to it. I tried to show where I placed my battery and electronics since I used a 2200mah battery and a larger esc/motor combination. Hopefully someone can get a idea of where things need to be for a proper CG with this setup.

Eric
What does it weigh with the bigger motor and battery, obviously you didn't add anything to the nose in order to balance it.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:35 PM
Joined Oct 2010
147 Posts
Does anybody have any tips on how to actually hit someone intentionally with these planes? I've been trying to hit my buddy for days now and neither of us can hit each other for our lives! I feel like that far side comic with the guy pushing on the door into the gifted room that says pull to open.
zeedre is offline Find More Posts by zeedre
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:14 PM
United States, OH, Urbana
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Flying slower and flying in a pattern seems to be the best way to make contact aside from the random hits that occur. I couldn't seem to get my clube members to understand this idea. I will try again next season. Even with 6 or 8 Assassins in the air, dogfighting at wide open throttle produces very few hits.
mdmowrey is offline Find More Posts by mdmowrey
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:13 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
I've been trying to hit my buddy for days now and neither of us can hit each other for our lives!
Z. Mark is totally right. The fastest plane, while fun to fly, gets less hits. Slow it down as much as possible. Take turns one flies a predictable, just above stall , normal 4 turn or 2 turrn slow pattern, the other only trys to fly a tight formation. Thats it... Just keep trying too tighten up the formation with throttle control, and then line up below, and pull up and push down... till you make contact.

Its easier if you are going slow, and you wait till the leg of the pattern that is closest to you.! Distance makes everything harder.!

It's important to limit size of arena, if-you-will. A football field or soccer field if there is only 2 wings, its more difficult.

Find more recruits.!

Believe me, when you start making regular contact, it is VERY addictive.! The juvenile spontanious laughter and hi-5's are contagious.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:35 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,155 Posts
The best way to guarantee a hit is to not want one. I had one flyer with a super glider who was way above me say "bet you can't hit me!!!" You guessed it, I sort of flew in his direction and he dodged me at the same time I dodged him and I turned him into balsa and Monocoat shower. He wasn't happy and said "I was joking!!!" I said, "So was I" I really did not intend on hitting him.

Combat takes practice. Pretend you are Nascar drivers on a track and following the same track pattern at about 35-40 MPH. After a few laps you know where everyone will be going and get a feel for the speed. The flyers in front slow down and the flyers behind either cut the corners or speed up to get all of the planes in a formation where they are all traveling fairly close together. Once you are in this formation gently try to bump the planes into each other. If you try to hit hard you often foul up the timing and miss and a bump often will be enough to get wild results.

We have a few flyers that will chase a plane down from behind and try to fly under them and pull up right in front of them and cause the collision.

A couple of club favorites are to have a designated plane pull a streamer and other planes trying to cut it. Focusing on the streamer helps to get the planes together.

Having a bomb drop of a roll of toilet paper leaves a long streamer in the sky. As planes try to cut the streamer they come together and have a few hits. I take a roll of TP and slice it on my bandsaw into three narrow rolls. We try to clean up the field when we are done.

Limbo creates a lot of hits. Have the planes circle together and try to go under the limbo at the same time.

Listen to the laughter in this video. I think the sound says more than the video. Notice how we were timing the passes under the limbo from opposite directions.

Soccer Goal Wild Wing (6 min 23 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Dec 31, 2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:52 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,155 Posts
This is an older video but something one of our customers did

Flying J's Combat Wing on Floats (1 min 37 sec)

Boys will be Boys (4 min 0 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=PeeAI1wTMiA
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Dec 31, 2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:41 AM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
The red motors are in stock. Here's a buddy code.

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...F-40FD573FDC91
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:46 AM
Joined Oct 2010
147 Posts
Food for thought. Thanks guys.
zeedre is offline Find More Posts by zeedre
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:59 AM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Thanks for the entertaining Videos

The old videos were great!
"In the Boys will be Boys" video the wings are not looking like crashtesthobby airfoils. Are they the old UFO Wild Wing or the Unicorn?

I haven't yet built my Reaper, but I was wondering if I should add the 6" center peice to make it like the XL since I want to use it for FPV at some point. What do you think? Can I just get the center piece to add to it? (Local pick up)
Eric
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Last edited by erashby; Jan 05, 2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erashby View Post
The old videos were great!
"In the Boys will be Boys" video the wings are not looking like crashtesthobby airfoils. Are they the old Unicorn?
Good eye. That was back when we were still working on Lee to make a bigger wing.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson