HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:54 PM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
cool man and I agree. I love the fact that it is fin-less. Freaks out the old timers at my field.
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:55 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
It gives it a really cool profile especially when it's flying directly away from or towards you.
rdbell is offline Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:50 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbell View Post
It gives it a really cool profile especially when it's flying directly away from or towards you.
I agree I love the fear of this feeling...
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:29 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,081 Posts
I like the look of the finless wing. It has become the most recognizable image of our business.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:46 PM
United States, TX, Pearland
Joined Feb 2004
242 Posts
Can I see a picture of this installed?
I'm assuming that I would need to cut my elevons down so there is room on the tip for this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
The wingtips won't make it faster. Will help stabilize and minimize or eliminate adverse yaw.

Make a template and cut a few extra. I keep a bag of 'em in my flight box. If one gets ripped off in combat just tape on a new one.

What In do is cut a slot in the coroplast with a soldering iron and tape it to the top and bottom of the wing with a 1" piece of extreme tape. They seldom get knocked off even in combat. I make 'em oversized and paint them flourescent colors. It really helps me with orientation and picking my plane out of the swarm.

-Peace
Tom
jlewis99 is offline Find More Posts by jlewis99
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:31 AM
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
Motor Recommendation?

Hey, I'm going to be in need of motors real soon & finding the 2812's in stock seems impossible. To make matters worst I need shipping to canada, If anyone knows a place which currently has them it would be of very helpful!!
-If I cant find any, what motors would you guys recommend using?

BTW: Ill have the stock 25-30amp ESC & a bunch of 7x6 props.
00steve is offline Find More Posts by 00steve
Old Jun 21, 2011, 05:51 AM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
If you can't find one, let me know. I will sell you one of my new rewinds, but it will cost a little more than the stock motor. I ordered a couple 2 weeks ago and immediately stripped them down and rewound them.
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:39 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
i ordered 2 2812 emax yesterday.... gotta chek my email im on mobil now so it will be a few but its outside of chicago i hate my PHONE!
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:49 AM
United States, WI, Wausau
Joined May 2002
365 Posts
Hey guys, finally got my Widowmaker all taped and laminated with elevens attached. Very excited with how it's turning out.

Any advice for the next few steps that's not in the instructions?
I'm a little worried to make cuts with my soldering iron, will that have any negative impact to the iron or wing? Also don't want to cut to deep, that's something I should be mindful of right?

Thanks!
seanpr123 is offline Find More Posts by seanpr123
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:01 AM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpr123 View Post
Hey guys, finally got my Widowmaker all taped and laminated with elevens attached. Very excited with how it's turning out.

Any advice for the next few steps that's not in the instructions?
I'm a little worried to make cuts with my soldering iron, will that have any negative impact to the iron or wing? Also don't want to cut to deep, that's something I should be mindful of right?

Thanks!
If you have a Harbor Freight Tool store near you go shopping for a soldering iron and a set of drill stops. The iron has a removeable tip, turn it backwards so the blunt end is exposed. Fit a drill stop onto the iron and set it to the appropriate depth. Now using a straight edge, align it and slide the iron along the straight edge cutting to a depth, width and length required.
This methoud works very well when cutting all the necessary holes in the wing.
Good luck!
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:10 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
sean.....x2 what chico said. also.... there is several videos that detail what he described.... both on the crashtest hobby site and youtube. I think they are titled assassin though ...exact same technique...anything that you can rig that is heat proof and a positive depth stop and riding on a steel rule that is push_pinned in position.

use a seperate iron for melting foam cuz they dont work well for soldering electronics once contaminated....at least in my experience!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:45 AM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabaxter View Post
If you can't find one, let me know. I will sell you one of my new rewinds, but it will cost a little more than the stock motor. I ordered a couple 2 weeks ago and immediately stripped them down and rewound them.
Hey,
What is the advantage to the rewound motor??
sorry if it is a dumb question ..
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:46 AM
Joined Jun 2011
28 Posts
Porky Assassin

I built an assassin flying wing but somehow got it tail heavy and too heavy overall. Not sure where i went wrong, but I am looking for some suggestions on a fix. CoG is about 6.75 back and the overall weight is ~18.3 ounces. I havent tried to fly it yet in fear that it will fly poorly due to weight and CG. One thing that i didnt notice until the wing was built is that it isn't 34" as described in the RCGroups post, it is 38 inches tip to tip. Any help is appreciated.

spaten is offline Find More Posts by spaten
Last edited by spaten; Jun 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:29 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
spaten....that thing looks awesome.... mine`s 19 oz. flies like a champ.! make sure your max travel on elevons is 3/8ths or less from center to max up and center to max down.... just a very slight amount of up at neutral trimand stick setting with radio on.....

AND TOSS THAT THING UP..... ITS FINE....

read earlier posts.... the only way to trash it is fly it into a working wood chipper or incinerator!! (oh and make sure your not gonna hit anyone)

and take video!

have fun!

P
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined Jun 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
spaten....that thing looks awesome.... mine`s 19 oz. flies like a champ.! make sure your max travel on elevons is 3/8ths or less from center to max up and center to max down.... just a very slight amount of up at neutral trimand stick setting with radio on.....

AND TOSS THAT THING UP..... ITS FINE....

read earlier posts.... the only way to trash it is fly it into a working wood chipper or incinerator!! (oh and make sure your not gonna hit anyone)

and take video!

have fun!

P

Where was your CG at out of curiosity?
spaten is offline Find More Posts by spaten