HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:19 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Are we discussing the cost of toilet paper on this thread?
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:23 PM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Are we discussing the cost of toilet paper on this thread?
I was budgeting for weapons store for my now armed WM!

jb
JIMBAKER is offline Find More Posts by JIMBAKER
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:16 PM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
T-shirts
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:58 AM
Joined Jul 2010
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabaxter View Post
T-shirts
?? Free T-shirt when you buy your ?5th kit?

Is the Secret Weapon extinct or just on the back burner?

I've heard of snail mail but post to here in Turks & Caicos is crazy, I've just had a Xmas card~~

for last year! H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:40 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanBlue View Post
?? Free T-shirt when you buy your ?5th kit?

Is the Secret Weapon extinct or just on the back burner?

I've heard of snail mail but post to here in Turks & Caicos is crazy, I've just had a Xmas card~~

for last year! H
The Secret weapon is a Roswell Delta with a high lift airfoil rather than a symmetrical airfoil. We are cutting both airfoils this week but we haven't been advertizing the Secret Weapon. If you want one it is the same price.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:43 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabaxter View Post
T-shirts
We have so many good ideas and so little time. I was going to do shirts but got distracted.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:01 AM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
We have so many good ideas and so little time. I was going to do shirts but got distracted.
I know you stay pretty busy.....but if you ever decide to get some printed up, let me know.
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:30 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Flyer View Post
Speaking of smoking, my Radio Shack 26 ga wire finally gave out. I was flying in very strong winds yesterday way downwind above a forest of trees when the motor went quiet only a couple of minutes into flight. Luckily I was high enough to go into a dive and get back to field.

I probably had at least 60 flights on this rewound motor. But I had recently noticed that the green insulation had turned copper color in some places.

After I landed I gave it throttle and prop would turn and hesitate then turn some more. A few seconds later the magic smoke came out. When I tested with an ohm meter, one of the motor leads was shorted to the stator.

I had a little scare when I stuck an unmodified motor on last night and the ESC just kept beeping. I thought the ESC was toast too. But I just had to reset the throttle range and all was good. Flew a flight this morning and worked well - just not as much power with 12 winds.

I just put in an order for some Microdan 24 ga wire that is supposed to be good for up to 300 C (572 F). Will keep you posted.
The MicroDan rewind works great with 9 turns - maybe a little too good!

With fully charged batteries, I got 14k rpm with the HK 7x6 prop. But also 33 amps out of my HK SS 25-30a ESC. After the batteries drained down a little was still getting 13,200 rpm at 10.6v.

Was really windy this morning but took it to the field anyway. Great unlimited vertical and really quick rolls. Motor was cool even after a spirited run. Flight time shorter and ESC/battery a little warmer than usual.

I did notice that the motor stuttered at 11,500 rpm with prop on but not at any other speeds. Prop was balanced so I tried a different rotor (bell) and bearings but same problem. Then I changed the timing from medium to high and the problem went away.

Here are a few performance numbers below with HK 7x6 prop (the Kv values were calculated by putting 2 pieces of electrical tape on the rotor with no prop, then taching and dividing by voltage):

Stock: 1480 Kv, 11,400 rpm @ 11.2v & 16a
RS 26ga/10T: 1780 Kv, 12,400 rpm @ 11.2v & 21a
MD 24ga/9T: 1975 Kv, 13,200 rpm @ 10.6v & 27a

Here are a couple pics. The first is the stator with burned out RS 26 ga wire. The second is the same stator with MD 24 ga wire. It was hard to fit 9 turns on it. On the third tooth (out of 4) on each piece of wire, I used 8.5 turns which I later learned is equal to only 8 turns (only a full turn counts).

If you want to rewind a stator with 10 turns, I would use MD 25 ga wire to fit it all in and do 10.5 turns on the 3rd tooth. This should last much longer than 26 ga Radio Shack wire.
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Jun 16, 2011, 04:42 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Here are a few performance numbers below with HK 7x6 prop (the Kv values were calculated by putting 2 pieces of electrical tape on the rotor with no prop, then taching and dividing by voltage):
Just an fyi - I don't the specifics of why you should not do this, but my understanding is that running a motor full-tilt without a prop on it often leads to damage. Maybe someone else knows more.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:21 AM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
But I love snap rolling with the Assassin. LOL.

Actually, it is a sight to see when do a snap (right stick to lower right corner) and then an immediate reverse snap (right stick to upper right corner).
That works great! Man does the roll rate go ballistic Especially with WOT and 9T windings.

Are there any other cool tricks to do with this wing?
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:35 PM
Joined May 2009
4 Posts
My first Assassin

*Almost* too nice to cut

Yellow UltraCote
Navy Blue Towerkote over the hinge tape
SIG decal

Other than that going to be pretty stock to the shopping list.

Only issue during the build so far was I used too much heat when covering the first elevon and melted it My thanks to http://www.crashtesthobby.com for a great kit and helping save the project with replacement elevons.

Thanks for the great build log and ongoing discussions!
MaineFly is offline Find More Posts by MaineFly
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:44 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
MaineFly:
Looks supreme!

Did you use the TowerKote over the clear laminate, or did you forgo the clear laminate altogether?

Regards
Rob
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:58 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Maine: whats the bottom look like? That thing looks great so far. Very bright.!

P
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jun 18, 2011, 04:24 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,391 Posts
Lee seems like there is a high demand for Tee Shirts. I took the liberty of creating your first design. I think it's a winner.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Jun 18, 2011, 04:25 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,391 Posts
let me know when you get'em printed up. I might order one or two
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja