Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 09, 2011, 08:04 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,931 Posts
I helped three people trim in new planes this week. All of them had too much throw in the elevons and only one of them had wire guides to stabilize the wire so it wouldn't flex when the servo was pushing and the elevon was going down. One flyer had not glued his servos in.

Put the EZ connectors on the top hole in the horns and connect the pushrod to the second hole from the center on the servo arm.

We use bigger elevons to decrease drag with elevon movement and reflex. These big elevons can easily be set to move too much. If you can snap roll with full up then you probably have too much movement.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2011, 08:34 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Quote:
If you can snap roll with full up then you probably have too much movement.
But I love snap rolling with the Assassin. LOL.

Actually, it is a sight to see when do a snap (right stick to lower right corner) and then an immediate reverse snap (right stick to upper right corner).
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:21 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,931 Posts
It is fun to be able to snap roll on demand but many of the low hour flyers do it accidentally if they have too much throw, especially on take off.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:22 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,931 Posts
Here is my latest Widowmaker video.

Widowmaker at Squaw Peak (music) 6-10-11 (6 min 50 sec)
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:32 AM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,063 Posts
What a beautiful place to fly.
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:43 AM
NKK for short...
United States, IN, Mitchell
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
Yesterday I was flying my Assassin when my RX cut out and I got to witness first-hand, the toughness of the Assassin.
I don't know (yet) if the RX went bad or whether I just went out of range (I was starting to come back towards my position, so I don't think so?).

But anyway, lost power, lost controls and watched helplessly as my Assassin fell victim to gravity...
Walked over, picked it up, dusted it off and was very impressed... The motor mount was bent and one of the servos had come loose and that was it...

Even though I nosed in vertically the battery is fine, the nose is fine, absolutely amazing...

Assassin Crash (1 min 45 sec)
nkkromhof is offline Find More Posts by nkkromhof
Last edited by nkkromhof; Jun 13, 2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Fixed link, expanded description
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:56 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,931 Posts
These planes are tough but WOW what a hit on that Assassin. The Assassin is the toughest plane I know of. It is light enough and tough enough it can take some serious abuse. I don't even think you hurt it's feelings. It likes to hit stuff!!!!

Thanks for kind words at the end.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:17 PM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Hey Lee, you ever thought about getting T-shirts made? I would gladly buy several.
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:54 AM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Finally I put a bomb drop on the WM

Hi Lee,

Thought I would share the bomb drop I put on the WM, my son said he had problems getting the rubber band thru the motor mount hole so he changed his to wrap around the back of the wing so I did something similar.

Here is the video of my first few drops, finally realized I needed to cut the throttle before the drop! DUH!

WidowMaker TP Bomber! (1 min 37 sec)

jb
JIMBAKER is offline Find More Posts by JIMBAKER
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:51 AM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Sep 2009
1,798 Posts
ah, I am sensing a new combat event, drop toilet paper then try to cut it in flight.
chewbaccah is online now Find More Posts by chewbaccah
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:51 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,931 Posts
It looks like your bomb drop works well.

We tried the eye hook from a simple gate latch and glued it in the foam and put a wire from the servo through the eye that would pull out when the servo arm moved. We put a rubber band around the wire to get the same effect with different hardware. I never tried that configuration with the hook on the top of the wing. Great Idea!!!

The bomb drop set up with the rubber band is great because you can drop almost anything that has the right size and weight.

I drop rolls of toilet paper in combat and we may have it cut 4+ times before it hits the ground. The trouble is you have to go clean up the mess. Crape paper also looks good coming off the roll. Leave one end of the paper loose to start dragging the end to pull the rest of the paper off the roll.

Years ago I dropped a roll of toilet paper high in the wind trying to guess where it would hit near us and it came down and wound around me and my flight box from a very high drop. Tons of fun!!!!

I take rolls of toilet paper and cut them in thrids on my bandsaw so I am dropping less paper and have more things to drop. I put three rubber bands on the roll of paper and then make two cuts between the rubber bands to get three small rolls to drop.

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Jun 14, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:11 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbaccah View Post
ah, I am sensing a new combat event, drop toilet paper then try to cut it in flight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
It looks like your bomb drop works well.

We tried the eye hook from a simple gate latch and glued it in the foam and put a wire from the servo through the eye that would pull out when the servo arm moved. We put a rubber band around the wire to get the same effect with different hardware. I never tried that configuration with the hook on the top of the wing. Great Idea!!!

The bomb drop set up with the rubber band is great because you can drop almost anything that has the right size and weight.

I drop rolls of toilet paper in combat and we may have it cut 4+ times before it hits the ground. The trouble is you have to go clean up the mess. Crape paper also looks good coming off the roll. Leave one end of the paper loose to start dragging the end to pull the rest of the paper off the roll.

Years ago I dropped a roll of toilet paper high in the wind trying to guess where it would hit near us and it came down and wound around me and my flight box from a very high drop. Tons of fun!!!!

I take rolls of toilet paper and cut them in thrids on my bandsaw so I am dropping less paper and have more things to drop. I put three rubber bands on the roll of paper and then make two cuts between the rubber bands to get three small rolls to drop.

Lee.
I just returned from the Dollar Store with two 4-packs of TP and 3 2-packs of Crape Paper rolls. Lee, your suggestion to cut the TP rolls in to thirds just made my 25 cent a drops into 8.33 cents a drop per sortie! NICE! I am sure the fun police will show up soon!

Your toilet paper story about it winding around you makes for a very hilarious image! Almost like Charlie Brown with his kits in the tree, and the string wound around him.

I am looking forward to the parachute drops for the grandkids next. I need to make assignments so they will get to work on their custom parachutes soon.

Thanks,
jb
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined Jul 2010
207 Posts
~~~JimBaker~~~~~~~~I just returned from the Dollar Store with two 4-packs of TP and 3 2-packs of Crape Paper rolls. Lee, your suggestion to cut the TP rolls in to thirds just made my 25 cent a drops into 8.33 cents a drop per sortie! NICE! I am sure the fun police will show up soon!~~~~~~~~~~~

You can always rewind it to save money!!
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:52 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanBlue View Post
~~~JimBaker~~~~~~~~I just returned from the Dollar Store with two 4-packs of TP and 3 2-packs of Crape Paper rolls. Lee, your suggestion to cut the TP rolls in to thirds just made my 25 cent a drops into 8.33 cents a drop per sortie! NICE! I am sure the fun police will show up soon!~~~~~~~~~~~

Or use it!
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:10 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanBlue View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Or use it!
CB, That is a good idea, re-rolling it! more cost savings! or BB, using it, might be a little hard after cutting them in thirds, maybe I could tape them back together before using them.

For those harder targets I am thinking the full roll would be in order! In fact, with the Titan I am thinking three full rolls under each wing, with a sequencing pickle release. With a spotter I think I could do a fair job with one pass to toilet paper those homes, repeated passes = more risks of being discovered! I might need a single center roll holder for a test drop to see how much wind-age to use. LOL

jb