HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2011, 03:22 PM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
same here on the 2mm stuff, the local sign shops only have 4mm here and I would need to buy 4'x8' of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2011, 12:26 AM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairnut View Post
same here on the 2mm stuff, the local sign shops only have 4mm here and I would need to buy 4'x8' of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nut
Rcfoam.com
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Old Jun 04, 2011, 01:25 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,312 Posts
Look at the for sale signs at Walmart some of them are coroplast
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jun 04, 2011, 02:03 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Next time elections roll around "volunteer" to pick up some old election signs. You will likely have all the free coroplast you can use within a few minutes. I have also bought FOR SALE or GARAGE SALE signs from Home Depot. I think it was a pretty high price but I was able to cut a bunch of fins from one sign.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:19 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,312 Posts
Most people make fins much larger than are needed. 2" above the wing will do the job. They also work better the farther back you place them.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:36 PM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Got some amazing video footage with my WM this evening. Added a wide angle lens to the keychain camera and it makes the picture amazing. They were all amazed after the ending crash that my plane was unharmed, granted I did crash into weeds, but it was still pretty hard. I just stuck another battery in and their jaws dropped. The second video has some nice footage of a 6 ft. wingspan yak. We coordinated some cool fly by shots.
Flying with House Mount fellas.AVI (5 min 21 sec)

Flying with House Mount fellas (2).AVI (6 min 54 sec)
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:53 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
hahaha- looked like just another "landing" to me. Gotta love EPP!
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:15 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Nice flying site. So exactly what camera and wide-angle lens are you using?
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jun 05, 2011, 12:45 AM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBlackSheep View Post
It flew better but still not right so I ajusted it more. This last time it flew even better but I think I had my elevon throws to high and rolled too far left to make the turn, stalling the left wing and rolled straight into the ground. I may not have had a good maiden (maidens) but I now know it can take some real hard hits and still fly. BTW... AUW is 16.1oz, using a CF2822 motor from HK, HK939 servos, 18A Turnigy ESC, 1800mAh battery (its what I got) and CG is 6.25" from the nose. WOT with a APC 7X5EP is 9.5A.
Hi RCBS,

I noticed the laminate is not very smooth on your wing, looks fairly loose. I don't know if this is the cause of your problem but it can't be helping any. I had a fellow years ago complain about how poorly his trainer was flying, he had all the help he could get from everyone he flew with but until he followed my suggestion to remove the strapping tape that had lifted from the top of the wing nothing helped. The tape was acting as a spoiler, once removed he had a pretty nice flying trainer.

Set the control throws at the recommended throws, they should be a good starting point, and I have found that you donít need a lot of control movement on my Assassin or WidowMaker. Good Luck!

jb
JIMBAKER is offline Find More Posts by JIMBAKER
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:18 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
So exactly what camera and wide-angle lens are you using?
looks like the .67 wide angle on the #3 keychain cam....

I've read that the #3 is not in production any more.... is that true Bama???

I'm gonna have to agree with jetpack..... thats not a crash... only a crash to non combat-wing flyers.....

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Last edited by wheelspinner20; Jun 05, 2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 06:51 AM
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
looks like the .67 wide angle on the #3 keychain cam....

I've read that the #3 is not in production any more.... is that true Bama???

I'm gonna have to agree with jetpack..... thats not a crash... only a crash to non combat-wing flyers.....

Pat
Yep .67 wide angle. It is the version 3 and I don't know about production. I have read that they aren't in production also, but I guess it all depends on where you get it. Some of the american vendors on ebay stockpiled them so you may be able to find one. Ryan from PlaneInsane may some.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:18 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
I would really love to be able to just post a link and say, yes you can get a good #3 keycam here.... but its not that simple. There are posts of guys getting #3's but they have had an assembly change, and are not very good quality.

It's a little reading for a crapy weather day if you are not flying or building... but this is a good place to start because it has a couple good recent summaries from guys that seem like they know what they are talking about... my head spins sometimes when they start talking about all the technical details, but its educational. (better toward bottom of page.)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...15052&page=524

If Ryans site is up to date, he lists a #8. which I read is good in lower light situations. My 1st cam was a #8, then I got a 3 now I have two #11's!

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Last edited by wheelspinner20; Jun 05, 2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:38 AM
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
I found a couple of ebay stores through the 808 website that are verified to be selling #3's.
http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C3/index.html
Old Jun 05, 2011, 04:10 PM
JoelRSails
Houston, TX
Joined Jul 2004
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabaxter View Post
Got some amazing video footage with my WM this evening. Added a wide angle lens to the keychain camera and it makes the picture amazing. They were all amazed after the ending crash that my plane was unharmed, granted I did crash into weeds, but it was still pretty hard. I just stuck another battery in and their jaws dropped. The second video has some nice footage of a 6 ft. wingspan yak. We coordinated some cool fly by shots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09j443ccH5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot2Yi9V-hDk

Bamabaxter- I would love to see a photo showing how you have the keycam mounted on the wing (and also how you are holding the wide angle lens in place). You are getting a much smoother picture than I am on my Assassin!
JoelRSails is offline Find More Posts by JoelRSails
Old Jun 05, 2011, 04:50 PM
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
The wide angle lens is held in place by a magnetic ring around the casing of the lens. It came with a small metal ring the same size that had some double stick tape on it. I cleaned the area of the camera to be mounted with alcohol and stuck it in place. Then I added a little gorilla glue with a toothpick.....very little did the job perfectly. I didn't completely cover the microphone hole, but honestly I like the fact that it quieted down the recording a little.
I did some pretty hard pulls and rolls and the only maneuver that caused to to come off was the crash at the end, which also sent the battery bouncing too (velcro worn out). As far as placement, just tape it half way down the wing with some scotch tape, and set your trims to balance it out. The wing tips get too much turbulence, and using the velcro on top of the battery, which is close proximity to the motor, gets decent vibration. It is the best spot I have found so far. I don't have it taped in the picture, but you get the idea and you need to hang it off the front edge so the lens clears the wing. I know my Assassin vids are always shakier, but I believe the thicker airfoil has something to do with that. Hope that helps