HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:30 PM
Joined Mar 2008
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
One of my new wing cores has a dent in the epp on the bottom. I thought it might go away after removing it from the box. It didn't. Not a big deal, but I wanted to know if anyone knows a fool proof way to remove dents from epp. Heat? Hot water? etc?
i used hot tap water to get a dent out of mine. It worked well . the foam is in a small pellet form and put into a mold.steam is injected into the mold and the pellets expand.I read that some where on RCG but don't remember where...hmm
DAVE
SUKWEE is offline Find More Posts by SUKWEE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:40 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Thanks, Dave. I heated up some water in a kettle and poured it on. The crease is still there, but it is now minimized. Thanks again.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:36 AM
United States, TX, Pearland
Joined Feb 2004
240 Posts
My Assassin is flying great! I'm learning to fly planes on this thing and it's exactly what we needed!

After many rough landings (crashes) and a cartwheel, I'd strip out a servo (or both).

I'm thinking about using a servo saver on each servo. Anyone have any thoughts on this
or recommendations?
Currently I'm using the 9g digital EXI servos with metal gears. It includes 1 plastic gear, not sure why. Maybe an all metal geared servo would be better?
Is there a linkage add on to help save the servo?

Thanks for any advice!
Jeff
jlewis99 is online now Find More Posts by jlewis99
Old Jun 02, 2011, 08:02 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,008 Posts
Most dents in EPP foam will pop out over time. I set a box on a wing and left a crush mark and thought it would be permanent. One week later it had healed so much that I couldn't tell which wing had even had the dent.

There are many servos out there and it is hard to know them all.

Most of my wings have HS82 MG servos but they are expensive but last the longest of any I have tried.

I have recently used the MG90s and they have not been bad. I think they work well enough to endorse them but I have had one fail in an accident but considering the amount of time it was in use and the impact that caused the problem it did quite well..
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jun 02, 2011, 05:53 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Coroplast wingtips

Lee:
The last 3 Assassins I received from CTH had coroplast wingtips in the hardware package.

I am thinking about building one or two with the wingtips. What can you tell me about using wingtips on the Assassin? If I glue them on really well (i.e., contact adhesive) would there be any advantage in combat (speed, manueverability, etc)?
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jun 02, 2011, 07:52 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,474 Posts
The wingtips won't make it faster. Will help stabilize and minimize or eliminate adverse yaw.

Make a template and cut a few extra. I keep a bag of 'em in my flight box. If one gets ripped off in combat just tape on a new one.

What In do is cut a slot in the coroplast with a soldering iron and tape it to the top and bottom of the wing with a 1" piece of extreme tape. They seldom get knocked off even in combat. I make 'em oversized and paint them flourescent colors. It really helps me with orientation and picking my plane out of the swarm.

-Peace
Tom
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Last edited by jetpackninja; Jun 02, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 08:06 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Lee:
The last 3 Assassins I received from CTH had coroplast wingtips in the hardware package.

I am thinking about building one or two with the wingtips. What can you tell me about using wingtips on the Assassin? If I glue them on really well (i.e., contact adhesive) would there be any advantage in combat (speed, manueverability, etc)?
Mike has started putting the fins in the packages and is hoping for some feedback. From what I have seen about 1/3 of the customers use fins on the Assassin and 100% use the fins on the Widowmaker.

Tell us what you think. We have always cut the Assassin tip angle for the fins.

Either way works. Slow speed and exiting rolls has better performance and less yaw with fins. Finless is great for combat. We see fins floating down frequently after a hit. I would make the decision of whether to have fins or not on on if I were going to do combat.

What do the rest of you think?
Old Jun 02, 2011, 08:58 PM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
I think that the fins are a good idea if you aren't in combat, but I do like the looks of it flying finless. The other flyers in my club definitely dig the finless look flying and they can't believe how stable it is. I think for learning to fly the assassin with little previous experience, the fins would help, especially since slow speed yaw will be minimized. I am debating not even cutting the angles on my Reaper when it arrives and just using larger fins to stabilize it since it will never see combat. It all depends on the situation.
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Jun 02, 2011, 09:26 PM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
What In do is cut a slot in the coroplast with a soldering iron and tape it to the top and bottom of the wing with a 1" piece of extreme tape.
So, why not hot melt glue or CA? Tape sounds kinda flexy.
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:01 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,474 Posts
The fins don't move in flight and still have a little give in a crash situation. I run a one inch wide strip of tape through the slot and stretch it before sticking it down. If they get ripped off I just tape another one on and I'm back in the air in a couple 'o minutes.
Both the Widowmaker and the Reaper have both sustained plenty of crash forces. I've had the same set of fins on the Reaper for two or three months now.
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:16 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabaxter View Post
I think that the fins are a good idea if you aren't in combat, but I do like the looks of it flying finless. The other flyers in my club definitely dig the finless look flying and they can't believe how stable it is. I think for learning to fly the assassin with little previous experience, the fins would help, especially since slow speed yaw will be minimized. I am debating not even cutting the angles on my Reaper when it arrives and just using larger fins to stabilize it since it will never see combat. It all depends on the situation.
Don't cut angles on the Reaper. I have set up a finless Reaper but I like the way it flies with fins better. Fins are more important on the thinner wing.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 12:51 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
The 2822 and the 2812 are not the same motor. The 2822 needs a 9-10 inch prop to generate thrust because it is only 1200kv instead of the 1535 kv of the 2812. You are way underpowered with the 7x5 APC prop. I think I am using 16-17 A with the 2812. Here are links to the motors... compare. Look at the suggested prop sizes. Good luck!!!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5354

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5423
Thanks for the info Lee... I put the 2822 motor on cause thats what I have and I was too impatient to wait for a HK order. Are you saying that you are using 16-17A with the 2812 on an Amp meter? Cause I used the 2822 on another plane with the 7X4 and got unlimited vertical until it was out of sight sometimes but still only used under 10A. It was way too much power for that plane cause I was always correcting for torque roll so I used it on this plane since it is close to what you guys are using. Its still has alot of torgue I noticed while trying to fly the Assassin so I probably still get a 2812 in the future. Right now I can tell by the way it flies that my problem is aerodynamic and not thrust or amp usage. Either my motor thrust angle is wrong or I dont have the throws set right or I warped a wing too much applying the monokote on the upper surface. I knew I warped the wings a bit and that would present a challenge but it may be too warped and too much of a challenge. Dunno yet.... I need time and good weather to get out and try it again. For California, we been getting unusual weather these days.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:26 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,008 Posts
There are combinations that fly well together and some that do not. We have tried many motor prop combinations on the wings and personally fly with the ones that are recommended on the site.

With the 1200 Kv and the low amps you are not going to have the speed that makes the plane fly and perform so well. I have added more retailers for the 2812 motor to our shopping list. I would suggest you try a higher Kv motor.

Lee
Old Jun 03, 2011, 10:51 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM74 View Post
So, why not hot melt glue or CA? Tape sounds kinda flexy.
Use Goop or Shoe Goo to glue the fins on. It will stick better to the laminate.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 01:58 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
Are you using 4 mm or 2 mm Coroplast?

I have a Zagi that had 4 mm Coroplast fins that I replaced with Walmart binder cover plastic to save a little weight. However, now they flutter.

So would like to find some 2 mm Coroplast but don't want to buy a big sheet.
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer