HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2011, 08:30 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,389 Posts
Quote:
...but for a nice calm evening, the Widowmaker can't be beat.
Agreed. But I have also been very happy with the way this plane handles the wind! I'll probably never fly in 30mph winds like I will the Reaper but this plane with it's glide characteristics does really well in moderate wind. It's cool to be able to get this plane to hold an almost stationary position. Just too much fun! I NEED me a couple 'o these keychain cams
-Tom
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 09:52 AM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
383 Posts
Nice video Bama!

What thickness of Depron did you use? Where did you get it?

I recently upgraded a 10 year old Zagi with LiPos and a brushless and love it (a little like a WM - only 48"). Since the brushless weighs more than the Speed 400, I replaced the 4 mm coroplast fins with binder plastic. But now when I fly fast the fins flutter. I am looking for 2 mm coroplast or something that won't flutter as bad.

Thanks!
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old May 12, 2011, 10:11 AM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
Did some one mention a app for a phone that gave speed via sound?
I can't seem to find the post

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old May 12, 2011, 10:42 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,389 Posts
RC Speedo
http://www.xioptics.com/james/rcspeedo/more.php

there may be others- I know guys that use this one though...
Old May 12, 2011, 10:58 AM
United States, WI, Wausau
Joined May 2002
365 Posts
Any reports on accuracy?
seanpr123 is offline Find More Posts by seanpr123
Old May 12, 2011, 11:10 AM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Flyer View Post
Nice video Bama!

What thickness of Depron did you use? Where did you get it?

I recently upgraded a 10 year old Zagi with LiPos and a brushless and love it (a little like a WM - only 48"). Since the brushless weighs more than the Speed 400, I replaced the 4 mm coroplast fins with binder plastic. But now when I fly fast the fins flutter. I am looking for 2 mm coroplast or something that won't flutter as bad.

Thanks!
I think it was 6mm or 5 mm. I had it left over from another plane project. came in a kit. There is some stuff from Hobby Lobby that is very close to Depron. You could probably use the cheap foam board also. I went ahead and covered it with some left over laminate. I too had the fluttering with the binder covers and this definitely solved it. Flies sooooooo much better.
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old May 12, 2011, 06:33 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
I like the fact that the Widowmaker is quiet enough and flies well enough that you are willing to fly it in front of your house
Speaking of noise, I was packing up to leave the other night, and someone showed up with a zagi, traditional, outrunner.! I was amazed at the noise. As much as I hate to be a CTH snob about it, I felt compelled to sneak away quietly because I didnt want to be guilty by association.! lol
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old May 13, 2011, 12:10 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpr123 View Post
Any reports on accuracy?
sean- I haven't really used it myself, but several of the guys use the Android and the Iphone version, supposedly the Android version works better.
If you go to the "How does it work link" accuracy is addressed at length
Short version- works best with louder, high pitched fast moving planes. Need to input the ambient temperature accurately
Old May 13, 2011, 01:27 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,920 Posts
I was helping a flyer who was having trouble with launching. His plane would roll over and hit the ground right after launching. I asked him to show me how much throw he had in his elevons and he had at least 3x what is recommended. We cut down the throws and the plane flew much better even though it is a heavy built plane.

What was happening is a snap roll on take off. He would pull back to get up and the plane would snap over because of too much elevator.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 13, 2011, 06:46 AM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
I set my throws even less than recommended using the D/R for smoother turns when recording video.
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old May 13, 2011, 08:31 AM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
383 Posts
Bama -

Are you talking about Hobby Lobby the RC Superstore or the one on the other side of town where little old ladies get therir craft supplies? Thx.
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old May 13, 2011, 08:59 AM
swede
United States, MA, Belchertown
Joined Aug 2005
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpr123 View Post
Any reports on accuracy?
One of the guys checked the speed of my jet this last weekend. It was pretty close. I've LIDAR'd it at speeds between 80-90. His Android RC Speedo said it was 87.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old May 13, 2011, 09:57 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabaxter View Post
I set my throws even less than recommended using the D/R for smoother turns when recording video.
When I am flying in combat I turn the throws down too. When my plane is too maneuverable I have a hard time flying the precision it takes to stay in the combat formation we fly. When we fly combat we circle the field jockeying for position to get the most hits, we aren't trying to run from each. We try to set our planes up so the other flyers have a good angle to hit us. The front planes slow down the back planes speed up to keep the pack together. We almost have a mapped out track we follow in the sky so the other flyers know about when we will turn.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:05 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,920 Posts
We went night flying last night and had the police come to watch expecting calls from the neighbors reporting UFOs. The last 3 times we have been out night flying we have had RC flyers come and find us that didn't know we existed. That is amazing because we have found at least 6 more flyers and two of them live within 3 blocks of me. It is becoming one of the big reasons I am trying to night fly in the neighborhood where I live. I would really like to have a group of neighbors flying. I have some introduction cards that I hand out so they know how to find us and we invite them to come back to the bigger events which for us is nearly every week now.

I have some of you telling me you are having trouble finding people to fly in your combat groups. I think night flying is one of the best ways to get seen. We have found the wives love it and are often the ones dragging their husbands over to see what we are doing. It helps the husbands convince the wife they would like to get into the hobby.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:14 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,920 Posts
Has anyone tried this servo?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10346

We are also looking for a replacement or alternative for this motor.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=3885

We have liked this motor on our bigger planes because it uses the same prop as the 2812 and has tons of power. The reason it uses the same prop is the 1700 KV winding.

We are looking to either find another retailer that has the motor in stock or a comparable motor that will meet or better the specs.