HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:21 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,987 Posts
I keep my hands away from the prop.

We have had a couple of flyers get stitches from having their hand too close to the prop while carrying their plane. They both accidentally hit the throttle before they were planning on it and got cut.

I even launch the Reaper and Titan from the wingtip but the technique is different. I throttle them up with the left wingtip in my hand and the right on the ground with the plane pointing straight down then rotating the plane to the angle for flight and then swing it up into flight. This technique has helped several less experienced flyers who were having trouble launching heavier planes.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:55 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,987 Posts
I had someone ask for more information on installing the LED lights in the flying wings. Here is more information I put on our web site.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/index....-installation-
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:52 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
Haha this right after I already installed lights in my Grim Reaper yesterday! I think I may have warped the wing a little doing it the way I did... I think with the laminate though I can get it back. I'll be disappointed if I messed it up because of the lights. You're right!
rdbell is online now Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:30 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabaxter View Post
Had an extra CF2812 and decided to rewind it like the videos using 10 turns of 26 gauge wire. Why do you ask, would I tear apart a new motor? Now I can do this....it wasn't windy yesterday and it would literally fly straight up. If you haven't rewound one of these, you are crazy.....
I agree with Bama that everyone else is crazy

It's a really good hop up with just a little shorter flight time as the only downside I can see. It's a lot of fun to be able to mash the peddle down a little harder.

Motor/ESC/Batt all seem to be cool at end of run so am guessing that I'm not doing anything too bad to the electronics. Max amp draw is 22 amps when Batt is freshly charged.

Bama - Did you happen to count the # of windings with the OEM motor?

Has anyone had negative experiences with the rewind?
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:01 AM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
No didn't count them. I thought it was a 12 turn, but I never actually checked. Do you know what Kv the rewind changes the motor to?
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Last edited by bamabaxter; Mar 18, 2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:25 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Flyer View Post
Before I took the motor apart, I hooked up a battery and a power meter to my ESC, put a couple pieces of electrical tape across from each other (180 deg) on the bell of the motor, and used a tach with a flashlight to measure Kv without prop (rpm/v). The stock motor was 1480, the rewound motor 1780. So, it looks like I increased Kv 20% by going from 12 to 10 turns.
Flew it yesterday and again today. Still a big fan of the rewind. Seems a little louder but am guessing that is mostly prop noise.
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:33 PM
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2011
430 Posts
Here are a few pics of my build and I wound up going 3M90 (applied with some rubber gloves to smooth it out), spray paint, Locktite 200, and finally I'll use the lam once the 200 dries.

I painted the middle arrow last and a little bit of black bleed through even thou I was careful about making the sure tape was laid down tight... oh well.
PnoT is offline Find More Posts by PnoT
Last edited by PnoT; Mar 19, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:27 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
That should be an interesting color scheme once in the air. Nice job...nice model.

Pile all your components on a scale and let us know your all up weight.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:28 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,067 Posts
It looks fast! And the plane looks fast too.
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:16 AM
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Check out the distance I got on this one....closer to the end of the video.
Assassins are tough to kill....seriously (0 min 49 sec)
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:45 AM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
That must be a record!
rdbell is online now Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:46 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Bama, I agree that the bounce distance was pretty cool, but for toughness, sorry, that was a weak hit. Your gonna have to increase the angle, and repeat it 25 times to get to the level of sudden impact that I have put on mine.!!! HA !

Now if it would have bounced off the sideline bench, or impacted the trailer or out building, that would have been HUGE style points.!!

There is a mounted stationary bench at one field where I fly, but it has no back rest, just flat aluminum bench. I have been working on a skateboard inspired "grind" on the top of the bench, then fly it away... when I get one on video I will post it.! Its so close to the ground though, there isnt much time to pick the throttle up before contact, and after the prop clears the end of the bench. Still workin on it.!

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Mar 20, 2011, 01:05 PM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Sep 2009
1,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabaxter View Post
Check out the distance I got on this one....closer to the end of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i1iaSEdxE8
That was awesome!
chewbaccah is offline Find More Posts by chewbaccah
Old Mar 20, 2011, 01:44 PM
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoneski View Post
Here are some pics of my assassin. Is the elevon in the one pic ok?
I am pretty sure that will affect the flight since the control surface movements are so small for this plane. You can probably heat it with an iron and straighten it out. Just be careful not to seriously melt anything. Maybe even a piece of clear tape pulled tightly across the bottom of the elevon will straighten it out. I am sure someone else has experienced this exact situation and will chime in soon.