HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:50 PM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Sep 2009
1,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Crashing View Post
Of course this would come out *right* after I bought the Assassin!
Yeah, me too. I guess I'll beat up this Assassin and get a Widowmaker next.
chewbaccah is offline Find More Posts by chewbaccah
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:18 PM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
We have had many requests for a Assassin sized Reaper. This is it.

I have been flying the beta test planes for about 6 months and have several out with very positive feedback.
Man I was all ready to pull the trigger on the GR and now there are two Reapers? I think I will go for the GR rather than the WM for now, I think the WM may be next. Just waiting for my PayPal account to reload. jb
JIMBAKER is offline Find More Posts by JIMBAKER
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:59 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,502 Posts
You will not be disappointed with the Grim. Awesome plane.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Mar 05, 2011, 03:02 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoneski View Post
is there a link for a setup for the assassin on a DX6i?
Discussed in post #9 on this thread.

I'm getting more questions about programing the DX6i so here is another attempt at clarification:

In the Set up menu:

*Set the memory for the model and choose a name
*Go into Wing/Tail mix and activate Elevon.

In the Adjust list:

*Go into travel adjust and turn the right and left elevons and the up and down elevator to 125% travel. Each of the four has to be adjusted separately.

*At this point the servos should be plugged into the Aileron and Elevator plugs on your receiver and the ESC plugged into the Throttle.

*Install the control rods from the servo arms to the elevon horns.

*After binding both servos should move when you move the right stick either up and down or back and forth. This is the mixer working. If you turn the elevon mixer off only one servo will move at a time.

*The trick now is to get the servos turning the right direction. Try different combination of the servo reversing of the elevator and aileron on the transmitter until the servos are turning the right direction. If it won't work trade the plugs for the aileron and elevator servos in the receiver and try the servo reversing again until you get it right.

The up and down set up seems backwards to my wife. She wants to push up on the stick to make the plane go up. Here is the way the rest of us do it.

Pull back (or push the stick towards the bottom of the Tx) on R tx stick, both elevons go up.
Push R Tx stick forward (or towards the top of the transmitter) and both elevons go down.
Push R Tx stick to the right, right elevon goes up left goes down.
Push R Tx stick to L and L elevon comes up and R elevon goes down.

Another E-mail gave us this method of programing the DX6i using programmable mixing rather than just the elevon mixing. There seems to be a problem with the program on the Spektrum DX6i that makes it so differentials don't operate properly with the standard elevon set up. They operate fine if both are set at 80% or 100% but if you turn the elevator down to 80% and the ailerons up to 125% in the elevon mixing the right and left elevon no longer are calibrated and one moves more than the other and they shouldn't. This is a fix that has been greatly discussed on line.

"First, plug your right servo into the aileron plug and your left servo into Aux 1 (the Flap plug). This may be reversed in some setups.

Set your Wing Type to Dual Ailerons. Now check your aileron control -- it should work normally for an elevon plane (elevator is not yet working). If it doesn't, you'll probably end up having to reverse your plugs to make things work right.

Next, go to Mix 1 and set Elev -> Flap with both rates (D & U) at 100%. In my case that was -100%, but you may have to use +100 percent in your setup. Check function; at this point it should look like an Elevon plane with a boatload of travel. Don't fret about that -- the extra travel will "fix" your trim buttons! And don't forget to set "Trim" to ACT in the lower right corner of this screen.

Now, if you want differential it should work perfectly. If it goes in the wrong direction, you'll have to back up and reverse the plugs (move the servo in Ail to Aux and vice-versa) and redo the other settings to reverse them. Ultimately it means you'll have all the function back at the cost of a single mix.

But you get some payback for that mix: your Flap switch will now work! Probably the best use for it on an elevon plane is adjusting the elevons to max glide duration in case you want to do some thermals and don't want to try and see what the little bugger is doing at 400 feet...

Undoubtedly your elevon travel will now be too great. If you go to Dual Rates and reduce your top rate down at least to 80% of full, your trim buttons will now be completely safe to use -- the endpoint travel will not be greater than your allowed travel, so the weird "button effects" go away.

As far as I can tell, this is a complete fix. Would be delighted to hear if anyone hits a snag... also this leaves the option of another mix open (if you're using rudder and want a mix, or wish to do a throttle -> "flap" mix to get the torque roll out, for example)."
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:04 AM
Almost out of epoxy
Salt Lake City
Joined Sep 2007
606 Posts
My Assassin seems to have a serious problem with elevon slop. I haven't flown it yet, but I can push the elevons down with my fingers about 1/2" while the servo doesn't move at all. I can only push them up about 1/4".

Can anyone spot a problem with my setup from these pictures?

Name: IMG_0552.jpg
Views: 115
Size: 38.9 KB
Description: Name: IMG_0550.jpg
Views: 70
Size: 66.3 KB
Description: Name: IMG_0549.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 46.1 KB
Description:
Done Crashing is offline Find More Posts by Done Crashing
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:15 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,975 Posts
That is a problem. Make sure the connectors on the horns have no slop. Is your servo glued in? Is the elevon control horn firmly mounted? The servo and elevon horns shouldn't move at all. From what I can see in the pics it looks good.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:32 AM
Almost out of epoxy
Salt Lake City
Joined Sep 2007
606 Posts
Servos glued in: Check (no servo movement at all)

Elevon control horn: Check

Servo connector slop: Not great, but not bad (the z-bend moves just a tad in the servo control horn)

Elevon stiffness: Check (the elevons are as rigid as a 2x4)

It seems like maybe it's caused by the push rod bending downard. Near the elevon there is some air between the push rod and the fuselage, and it can move downward.

What do you think?
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:04 PM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Quote:
My Assassin seems to have a serious problem with elevon slop. I haven't flown it yet, but I can push the elevons down with my fingers about 1/2" while the servo doesn't move at all. I can only push them up about 1/4".

Can anyone spot a problem with my setup from these pictures?
DC,
Are you pushing at the end of the controls? Doesn't sound like slop but rather control twist and a little is going to be normal if you are pushing and pulling at the tip. Being able to push up or down on the control surfaces and move the servo is going to depend on the leverage on the linkages. The recommended control throws are 3/8th both directions, (I think that is correct, right?) I try to setup my radio Tx to use as much movement as possible, 100% or close as I can get to it; this allows the servo to move close to 100% of the travel, (helps with centering and all the other good things). Setup as you have it with the EZ-connector down, what 2 holes, the servo will use less movement to get you 3/8" travel, Try putting the connector at the top of the horn and see if that gets the desired movement. I have mine set up with EZ connector at the top on the horn and second hole from the center on the servo arm. Check with the guys in your area and see how they have setup their linkages.
jb

jb
JIMBAKER is offline Find More Posts by JIMBAKER
Last edited by JIMBAKER; Mar 05, 2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: added picture
Old Mar 05, 2011, 01:23 PM
Almost out of epoxy
Salt Lake City
Joined Sep 2007
606 Posts
Here's a video of what I'm talking about with the elevon slop. If you watch all 3 minutes (sorry it's so long), you'll see all the elements of the problem.

How does this look?

Assassin Elevon Slop (2 min 57 sec)
Old Mar 05, 2011, 01:46 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Feb 2009
721 Posts
maybe to much of a gap between the elevon and the wing is what causing the wiggle from what i see.
Also thanks Lee for the DX6i setup info!
-Alex
Santoneski is offline Find More Posts by Santoneski
Old Mar 05, 2011, 01:52 PM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
The gap between the elevon and the trailing edge of the wing is way too large. The tape hing is squishing together. I think it needs to be closer. Also did you completely cover the elevon with tape like the instruction video showed? Looked like it wasn't in the video. Other than that, I don't see much wrong. I am no veteran with the assassin, but I have been flying foam for a while.
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:14 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Yep, Bama got at least one of the issues..."gappage". I would decrease the gap. Should be no more than 1/16".

Running another 3/4" strip of the laminate along the hinge line (top and bottom) will also help.

Also, with long control rods you are going to get some flex that shows up in the elevons.

Lastly, a small piece of 1/16" shrink tube right above (and/or below) the servo horn will nearly eliminate any of the normal slop from the z-bend. See pic circled in blue.

BTW - if you are going to move the elevons, I would move them from the control horns. Otherwise, you are probably weakening the point where the control horn is mounted (and stretching the tape/hinges).
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Mar 05, 2011, 05:02 PM
Almost out of epoxy
Salt Lake City
Joined Sep 2007
606 Posts
Thanks for all the tips! I re-hinged the elevon, and the slop is much better.

When hinging this time I positioned the elevon at full down deflection and pushed it snugly up against the fuselage while taping. I did not leave a 1/16" gap, but there is no binding at full deflection, so I think it's okay.

Bombay, you are correct, I did not run tape along the whole elevon, only along the leading and trailing edges. As a result, the center of the elevon is not taped long wise, but it is fully covered in laminate. I was trying to save weight, and I don't think it cost me any stiffness.

I'll try adding some heat shrink or perhaps a tiny rubber gasket glued to the push rod to remove the slop on that end.

I love flying, but I really stink at building.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 05:11 PM
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
sloppy elevons

Quote:
Servos glued in: Check (no servo movement at all)

Elevon control horn: Check

Servo connector slop: Not great, but not bad (the z-bend moves just a tad in the servo control horn)

Elevon stiffness: Check (the elevons are as rigid as a 2x4)

It seems like maybe it's caused by the push rod bending downard. Near the elevon there is some air between the push rod and the fuselage, and it can move downward.

What do you think?
1.You need much tighter hinges IMHO, iron the top laminate with edges touching, then fold the elevon right up onto the top of the wing to iron on the bottom laminate. Easier without horn!!

2. If you are going to fit shorter push rods, move the servos out as well as back. Ideally the push rods should be at right angles to the hinge line for max mechanical advantage and more precise servo movements, but many flyers don't go that far laterally with servos. H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Last edited by CaribbeanBlue; Mar 05, 2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Add
Old Mar 05, 2011, 05:54 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,975 Posts
Quote:
jwjohnson: That sounds really good. Can you show us a picture of that setup?
Here are some pics of my motor mounting method.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson