HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:00 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
The speed was very noticeable. The amount of torque was also very noticeable.

Ok ryan, good report, but, leaves my hangin kind of.... If I am going to assemble a titan for combat, those are 2 important things. If the lower torque is not an issue, in other words, going to affect performance. So if you go with the higher torque, will there be a delay for example if you line up a hit under another wing the pull up quick for the kill, will the delay be noticeable enough to affect your hit percentage because of the delay??

I probably over think these things but, your experience might shed some light on these things and help make a decision easier.

Thanks

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:49 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,005 Posts
I unless you have Jedi reflexes, you won't notice. I only noticed because I plugged 2 servos into a Y harness and tested the servos at their full range of motion. Your not going to be full up and full down flying with one of these wings (unless your a beginner ) but really with the small movements that we make to control these wings, I really doubt that your going to notice a difference.
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:03 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
371 Posts
Thanks Ryan. So same servo motor with different gearing - basically 10% more torque with the 90 at the expense of 10% speed (and $1 - greedy b@stards):

90S: 1.8 kg/cm, 0.10 s/60 deg, 13.4 gm
90: 2.0 kg/cm, 0.11 s/60 deg, 5 us deadband

Hitec HS-82MG: 2.8 kg/cm, 0.12 s/60 deg, 19 gm, 8 us deadband (from http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-82mg_servo.html )
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Last edited by KC Flyer; Feb 28, 2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 08:06 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabaxter View Post
anyone ever used a folding prop with one of these?
I have. Folding prop works great. Just adds some to the complexity and adds weight in the rear. I think Ritewing has been extolling the virtues of folding props.
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Old Mar 01, 2011, 08:14 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,862 Posts
If you are flying combat, the folding prop is going to be the weakest part of your plane. If you are not doing combat (I can't imagine that! ) then it sounds like a good mod.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Mar 01, 2011, 08:46 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
I have tried the MG90, MG90S and the TGY-90S (Turnigy Metal Gear servos). They are all good servos. I use them in my FPV Reaper and in my Assassin with great results. I stand by them so much in fact that when Lee was telling the local guys that they needed to get the Hitec MG servos I offered them the TGY-90s for less and with a lifetime warranty. So far only 1 has come back but it was soon realized it was the rec that was broke and not the servo!

Biggest difference between the 90 and 90S is that the 90 has more torque and is slower. I put the 2 side by side with a Y splitter. The speed was very noticeable. The amount of torque was also very noticeable.

Just my 2 cents.
Ryan
If Ryan is willing to sell them as a stock item with a warranty I guess we have our answer.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:06 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
"reflexses of a jedi..." ryan unwise it is to combat without the force....yes??......lol
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:19 AM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,005 Posts
Very true my young Padawan, but remember the force is only a small part of what makes a great combat pilot. Like the Lightsaber is to the Jedi, the Assassin is to the combat pilot.
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:11 AM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffo View Post
I have. Folding prop works great. Just adds some to the complexity and adds weight in the rear. I think Ritewing has been extolling the virtues of folding props.
Where did you get it from and what size are you running? I have not been able to find a folding 7x5. I don't fly combat since there is no one around me that wants too.

To save weight on the rear I already took a drill bit to the motor mount and did some 50's style hotrod weight removal. It is still plenty strong as long as you don't drill holes near the actual bend and I think I am going to use aluminum rivets to attach it to the formica plate....anyone else tried rivets?
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:32 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,862 Posts
I use 8x32 bolts through the motor mount, formica, foam and a 1/8" piece of aircraft plywood to hold it all together. Again that's for combat. You could use some nylon bolts and nuts to save a bit of weight.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:39 AM
Almost out of epoxy
Salt Lake City
Joined Sep 2007
606 Posts
jwjohnson: That sounds really good. Can you show us a picture of that setup?
Done Crashing is offline Find More Posts by Done Crashing
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:40 AM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
I had debated the nylon also....I am ready to get this bird in the air!
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:40 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,862 Posts
I'll take some pics when I get home tonight and post them.

Jeff
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:53 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabaxter View Post
Where did you get it from and what size are you running? I have not been able to find a folding 7x5. I don't fly combat since there is no one around me that wants too.

To save weight on the rear I already took a drill bit to the motor mount and did some 50's style hotrod weight removal. It is still plenty strong as long as you don't drill holes near the actual bend and I think I am going to use aluminum rivets to attach it to the formica plate....anyone else tried rivets?
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=3539
Esprit has the best descriptions on folding props and sizes. Please note the shoulder/yoke size of the props. Hobby King, I believe for the most part, only sells 6mm yoke/shoulders, the piece that goes into the spinner. Where as the most popular size for our application is an 8mm shoulder/yoke. You will also need to get the correct size collet/shaft for our motors. The red motor is 3mm shaft.
Last edited by cliffo; Mar 01, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:56 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjohnson View Post
I use 8x32 bolts through the motor mount, formica, foam and a 1/8" piece of aircraft plywood to hold it all together. Again that's for combat. You could use some nylon bolts and nuts to save a bit of weight.
I use 1/4" nylon for all the planes. I have sheared the 1/4" nylon a few times. You can clip off the excess nylon bolt sticking up and put a nut on without having to re-thread the bolt.