Old Jul 25, 2009, 09:12 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi
Lee its the tape that holds the motor down, it has some play in it and I think I need to shoot it with some adhesive so it can stick better. I will take the old tape off and redo it.
The tape on the motor mount is no big deal. It's easily accessible and takes a couple of seconds to replace. It also allows the motor to release in the high energy hits rather than break. Notice my plug system for the motors. It also allows the motor to release in combat if needed.

I like the taped EPP elevons. I don't want to give them up. In combat the elevons take a fair amount of abuse and the taped 1.9 lb elevons so far have never been damaged other than a prop strike.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:48 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Another battery mounting option

An idea burrowed from helis...

Velcro with time will lose its stickiness, and I have plenty of O-rings sitting around, so with my current build, I hot glued in a pair of clips to hold the battery in with a standard prop-saver o-ring. I can't imagine the battery is going anywhere, and the weight difference is minimal compared to some velcro.
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Jul 25, 2009, 08:08 PM
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Dec 2006
83 Posts
my assasin (almost) maiden

Well I tossed up my "reverse-engineered/copycat" assasin today. Best maiden I've ever had. Never flown a wing before, never flown anything without a rudder, so it's a very different feeling than all my RET experience. Learning curve was pretty quick, though. I learned you can't hold high bank angles for a really long time without spiraling in to the ground. Interesting how wind or snap movements would make it wag its tail. This is also only the 2nd airfoil plane I've flown, and my first that I cut myself!!!!! I'm very proud!!!! I will try to get video soon.

In my hasty, inexperienced way, I don't have the cleanest install on the top. How important is it to keep wires and such from disturbing airflow? Will I notice a significant performance increase if I tuck it all in? They're not too bad, and it really flew nicely, I guess I know the answer already.

Oh yeah...and if you haven't already read this before - it's very sturdy. Very. I smashed and cartwheeled the heck out of it and it just bounced back for more. Man is it fast! And it looks so cool in the sky! Maybe a little more after dinner!!! Oh and it was surprisingly docile and controllable in power-off glides.
ATONAL6173 is offline Find More Posts by ATONAL6173
Old Jul 26, 2009, 02:37 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATONAL6173
Well I tossed up my "reverse-engineered/copycat" assasin today. Best maiden I've ever had. Never flown a wing before, never flown anything without a rudder, so it's a very different feeling than all my RET experience. Learning curve was pretty quick, though. I learned you can't hold high bank angles for a really long time without spiraling in to the ground. Interesting how wind or snap movements would make it wag its tail. This is also only the 2nd airfoil plane I've flown, and my first that I cut myself!!!!! I'm very proud!!!! I will try to get video soon.

In my hasty, inexperienced way, I don't have the cleanest install on the top. How important is it to keep wires and such from disturbing airflow? Will I notice a significant performance increase if I tuck it all in? They're not too bad, and it really flew nicely, I guess I know the answer already.

Oh yeah...and if you haven't already read this before - it's very sturdy. Very. I smashed and cartwheeled the heck out of it and it just bounced back for more. Man is it fast! And it looks so cool in the sky! Maybe a little more after dinner!!! Oh and it was surprisingly docile and controllable in power-off glides.
All flying wings have a little yaw. We have compared the Assassin to a similar sized flying wing with fins and find there is not much difference. In fact many flyers think the Assassin with the angles cut at the wingtips is more stable.

Having a real airfoil and elevons is different from the flat foam RETs. It will fly a lot better. My brain thinks the way the flying wings fly more than any other type of plane.

I have battery wires and control arms hanging out on my flying wings for years. What little airflow it disrupts is not significant.

Some think I am too lazy to put them under a hatch. (True)
Some think it is so I can have easy access at the flying field to my batteries and radio. (True)
Some think it is to save weight on the plane. (True)
Some think I'm nuts. (True)

The Assassin is a great design. I know we have been cutting different wing designs for over 20 years. It is the child of all those planes we cut before. If we could think of something to make it better than it is, we would do it.

Lee
Old Jul 26, 2009, 02:40 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus
An idea burrowed from helis...

Velcro with time will lose its stickiness, and I have plenty of O-rings sitting around, so with my current build, I hot glued in a pair of clips to hold the battery in with a standard prop-saver o-ring. I can't imagine the battery is going anywhere, and the weight difference is minimal compared to some velcro.
Where do you get the clips?

I like the Velcro too. If you get the kind of Velcro that has the male on one side and the female on the other side of the same strip it is hard to beat.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:19 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Where do you get the clips?

I like the Velcro too. If you get the kind of Velcro that has the male on one side and the female on the other side of the same strip it is hard to beat.
Yeah, hard to beat Velcro, but all my strips are used on helis currently. Those clips were leftover from a blower fan that I installed in the fireplace. You know how us hobbyists become misers with those extra little do-dads from various projects... I had them sitting in by parts drawer for months, and thought this would be a good application for them. We'll see how they hold up.
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:59 AM
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Dec 2006
83 Posts
Who says white men can't jump!

Here's some proof of flight video of my copycat assassin with an amazing grab at the end! Vimeo isn't letting me pick a thumbnail right now, but it plays fine.
Who says white men can't jump (0 min 30 sec)

I think I'm officially a "wing" man now. There's something about how graceful it is. And fast! A couple thoughts/questions....Flying wings, no matter how stable in the yaw they are, like to go faster than slower. I'm impressed at how well it flies slowly, but all my crashes are usually slow speed tip stalls. So, in general, airspeed is my friend?

Once again, it's very durable. Very. Beat the heck out of it doing some soccer goal limbo today. Smacked into it and the ground more times than I can remember and it just bounced back for more!!!!

Here's a few pics of my assassin wing-core bed motor mount and some of my growing hanger and graveyard!
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:14 PM
ty8
Joined Oct 2004
19 Posts
How does the assasin fly compard to the old Zagi? I learned to fly a Zagi and flew the heck out of it until it was destroyed in a spectacular crash! I have not flow in 2 1/2 years but think I will pick it up pretty quick again. I also flew a 20" brushless wing for awhile so a figure I have some skills. I will be teaching myself to fly aagain and then helping a friend, this will be his first plane.
ty8 is offline Find More Posts by ty8
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:36 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Assassin Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty8
How does the assasin fly compard to the old Zagi? I learned to fly a Zagi and flew the heck out of it until it was destroyed in a spectacular crash! I have not flow in 2 1/2 years but think I will pick it up pretty quick again. I also flew a 20" brushless wing for awhile so a figure I have some skills. I will be teaching myself to fly aagain and then helping a friend, this will be his first plane.
Hey Ty8, We flew Gentile Ladies on the slopes more than ten years ago and didn't fly again until this year. A "Lady" will fly with the radio on the ground when it's trimmed correctly, meaning we had no flat wing, aleron experience and ten years away from the hobby.
After descovering the Utahflyers website we started anew, radio, motor, lipo batteries, all of it. By using the beginners recomendations and purchassing a Pinata we set off for the flying site, the Assassin was not available at the time and the unaided learning began. This happened all this year, we now have two Pinatas and one Assassin and both Pinatas have repairs made to them due to the learning process, mainly due to the reverse stick movement when it's coming at you.
The Assassin will fly just as fast as the Pinata, people at the flying site have thought it was a Zagi, the Pinata that is, but it flys slower and appears to fly more predictably. I really like our "Care Bear" and look forward to each time that I can get into the air.
What is interesting are the comments from other flyers when they see that it has no wing tips. But I think that it has less yaw than the Pinata that has the tips.
Ty8, get an Assassin and follow the recomendations, including the motor and I think that you will have a blast.
Good Luck, Chico John
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Last edited by Chico John; Jul 30, 2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:46 AM
ty8
Joined Oct 2004
19 Posts
Chico John, Thanks for the advice and words of confidence. I raced 200mm nitro cars for years and was competitive with national level drivers here in Texas. I never had an issue with my planes direction and the needed stick input which is what I here is a common issue with new pilots. I thought I actually learned to fly the first time pretty easily, it was nice to have a good friend maiden my Zagi which needed very little trim to fly perfectly.

I am very excited to get back to flying and teaching my friend and both of our sons to fly! I hope to find some local guys in DFW that want to fly full contact once I am up and running.
ty8 is offline Find More Posts by ty8
Old Jul 31, 2009, 04:40 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
New Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty8
Chico John, Thanks for the advice and words of confidence. I raced 200mm nitro cars for years and was competitive with national level drivers here in Texas. I never had an issue with my planes direction and the needed stick input which is what I here is a common issue with new pilots. I thought I actually learned to fly the first time pretty easily, it was nice to have a good friend maiden my Zagi which needed very little trim to fly perfectly.

I am very excited to get back to flying and teaching my friend and both of our sons to fly! I hope to find some local guys in DFW that want to fly full contact once I am up and running.
Hey ty8,
We went out yesterday after the first submition and reaffermed my thoughts. It's a fun plane to fly for all levels of skill. I know you guys will have a blast.
However you must know the drill by now.
Pictures ty8, pictures.
Chico John
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Aug 01, 2009, 02:52 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,812 Posts
Well, we are ordering up 7 of these for the local fliers. Looking to have lots of fun with them.

As a side note, had to remotor my existing 48" wing as the $10 motor I had on it let out the black smoke. Dropped in a lower KV Mega I had sitting around collecting dust. Spinning a 7x6 prop instead of the 5x5 prop of the old motor gives the plane a much more "beefy" sound. Not as annoying, and vertical performance is amazing. I've never had unlimited vertical in a wing. So needless to say looking forward to getting the new planes going on the 7" props.

Oh yeah, I flew the re-motored wing against my buddies wing with an inrunner that is about 2800 KV. He thought I was pretty fast so we lined up for a little drag race and I was surprised to find that mine was as fast as his. But I also have tons of vertical performance that he can't match.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Aug 01, 2009, 11:33 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

This is a gentle plane. If you build it light it will amaze you in how gentle it will fly. If you build it stronger for combat it will amaze you how much abuse it can take. Most builders are building somewhere between the extremes.

We have flyers telling us it is the best wing they have flown. I think part of it is that it is so simple it is hard to mess it up. I have always been a believer that a good builder will have a stronger, lighter plane that flies better. Part of the reason we are recommending the bidirectional tape is it is fast, easy and strong.

Every plane I have built using these construction methods is still ready to fly even though I really abuse them. I have a had a few repairs but none have taken longer than 15 minutes. I fly them in combat usually at least twice a week.

I had a question on how to replace a broken horn in the elevon. The answer is to not replace it just put another one in next to the one that is broken. I take about 5 minutes to heat the glue gun and 15 seconds to put it in.

I tried to get the broken horn out on one plane and about tore the elevon to pieces. I cut on all sides of the old horn and then still had trouble getting it out. That is a sign of a great (and simple) installation method.

Lee
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:51 PM
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Dec 2006
83 Posts
Assasin beach soaring

Just got back from a family reunion near Long Beach, WA. Of course I brought my Pbf and my assasin. Flew the pbf around the campsite while the kids chased it around and took my homebuilt assasin to the beach. Must have been 20 m/h constant winds, but always from the same direction. I was afraid to toss it, but I did and it was loads of fun!

Only downside is that I got sand in the motor. But a testament to the FC2812's durability, it was making crunching noises as I turned it by hand after the first sand hit, but it didn't give up through the whole batt pack, then it was time to go. But I'll clean it out and see how much longer it'll go!

I didn't get any video because someone put our camera in the beach bag and it didn't like the sand at all. Not sure if it will survive. I wonder what all the kite flyers were thinking about my stringless kite! The stunt kite drivers look like wannabe RC'ers - we don't have to have wind and we can go any direction we want! The only times it was hard to control and tip-stalled, was when my elevons weren't centered right. It was quite fun, if I could just keep it out of the sand!
Old Aug 03, 2009, 05:02 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
We have a new website;

www.crashtesthobby.com