HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:06 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
It's $13 a roll for that tape in Staples on the east coast.
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:28 PM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
I just paid 13.57 per roll (50m) and had to buy 6 rolls to get it for that!

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old Nov 08, 2010, 06:33 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,150 Posts
Some rolls are 21 yards and some are 55 yards.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:59 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Chewytm, Lee, Telemachus, Cliffo, and all the usual suspects-- Thank You.

Chewy recommended that I try a scratch built foamie trainer as a starter, and at first I dismissed that idea. Then I built one and have been flying it as much as possible for the last 2 weeks.

Yesterday, my friend launched my assassin, then handed me the radio. It went awesome. It was so much fun, my heart was pounding and I could'nt wipe the smile off my face.! I landed it lauched it myself several more times and am slowly building up confidence and skills every chance I get.

And Lee for the record. I posted a video of this same friend flying my assassin a while back and I left the audio un-cut. If you listen close, you can hear him say that its "inherently unstable." Context is that it was a 12-15 mph blow, and his first assassin experience. He flew it last night in 0 wind, and completely changed his mind. He used words like docile flyer and very controllable at low speeds, and a blast at high speeds. He really liked it.

Thanks for a great product. Can't wait for Christmas so the kids can buy me a Titan.!

Pat Wheeler.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Last edited by wheelspinner20; Nov 10, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:51 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,368 Posts
Lee,

Do you still have a web site? The link on the front page doesn't seem to work for me.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:12 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
http://www.crashtesthobby.com/
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Nov 12, 2010, 07:26 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,368 Posts
Checked out the site and I'm very interested in building a few of these while on deployment in Japan.

That being said I doubt I'll have access to some of the materials needed to build it right. Is there a place that sells everything needed like the tape and shock cord willing to ship to a FPO address?

Also, I think I'm going to buy a kit for my son (11) to be his first build while I'm gone. He's got a Superfly and loves it.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:53 PM
USA, OH, Mason
Joined Jun 2010
136 Posts
Ok, after the (friendly) heckling I took in this thread for calling my son's Assassin totalled (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1650), I finally got around to attempting a ressurection.

SUCCESS! I used a combination of your suggestions -- white gorilla glue, tape to contain the expansion, recovering, replacing the shock cord, reenforcement with extreme tape. It's all done and ready to fly. I'm sure I put a fair amount of weight in it even though I tried to keep it light. We'll fly it tomorrow.

In the pictures it looks a little loose and rough, but the covering is actually tight and pretty smooth (for a plane that has seen dozens of impacts with the turf )
andrejk is offline Find More Posts by andrejk
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:05 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,864 Posts
That looks just fine. Great job.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:01 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrejk View Post
Ok, after the (friendly) heckling I took in this thread for calling my son's Assassin totalled (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1650), I finally got around to attempting a ressurection.

SUCCESS! I used a combination of your suggestions -- white gorilla glue, tape to contain the expansion, recovering, replacing the shock cord, reenforcement with extreme tape. It's all done and ready to fly. I'm sure I put a fair amount of weight in it even though I tried to keep it light. We'll fly it tomorrow.

In the pictures it looks a little loose and rough, but the covering is actually tight and pretty smooth (for a plane that has seen dozens of impacts with the turf )
Excellent .....

As they say ...... "The old dog for the long road and the pup for the puddle " ....

(I'm talking about the plane! ..... )
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:57 PM
Manvel, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
42 Posts
Got mine built, motor should come in either today or on Monday, I'll be flying then.
Russell Bear is offline Find More Posts by Russell Bear
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:03 PM
Manvel, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
42 Posts
Name: Assassin Top.jpg
Views: 160
Size: 37.5 KB
Description:

Name: Assassin Bottom.jpg
Views: 100
Size: 40.0 KB
Description:
Russell Bear is offline Find More Posts by Russell Bear
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:28 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Bear View Post
Looks great. Let us know how it flies.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:11 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Checked out the site and I'm very interested in building a few of these while on deployment in Japan.

That being said I doubt I'll have access to some of the materials needed to build it right. Is there a place that sells everything needed like the tape and shock cord willing to ship to a FPO address?

Also, I think I'm going to buy a kit for my son (11) to be his first build while I'm gone. He's got a Superfly and loves it.
Happy (belated) Veteran's day, and thanks for your service.

I should just build one for you and send it off. Open and FLY!

Yes, I look for any excuse to build one of these babies.
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:24 PM
USA, OH, Mason
Joined Jun 2010
136 Posts
FPV Assassin? Sure, why not!

A couple of weeks ago, I was staring at my spare Assassin, spare video TX, spare Spektrum 6200, spare compact camera and spare VTX antenna and thought.... hmm...

So this afternoon I finally got around to building it out. I fitted the components on before but the weight balance wasn't right and the video system interfered with the cheapie spare RC RX I had in the plane.

I'll take it out later in the week. This is obviously for short-range-crazy-acrobatic-slalom-the-trees FPV, not long-range-gps-autopilot-pan-tilt FPV.

Until then, here are some pics.
andrejk is offline Find More Posts by andrejk
Last edited by andrejk; Nov 14, 2010 at 05:53 PM.