HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2010, 07:40 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
Lol I love building these kits. Take your time and savor how pretty is. It won't be for long. :P
rdbell is online now Find More Posts by rdbell
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2010, 10:30 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,050 Posts
The wings are cut exact. We don't ship wings that way. What happens is during shipping they sit it a postition that rounds a corner. In most cases if you will let them sit overnight they will re expand to their original shape.

If it doesn't re expand we will replace it.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:09 AM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Is there an actual build manual anywhere? The steps on the website and the videos are not very descriptive on several steps.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:34 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
Is there an actual build manual anywhere? The steps on the website and the videos are not very descriptive on several steps.
This is pretty much the build thread. I think you'll find this plane isn't nearly as sensitive to things as other planes. This is a plane, for the most part, you can just throw together and it will fly. The only things that need to be 'close' is the CG and the throws, even then, I don't even worry about the throws too much.

The build is about as simple as this:

Glue the two halves together,
cover it,
tape on the elevons,
lay the electronics on top to get the CG close,
cut out holes for the electronics,
Fly it.

Anything else depends on how much detail you want to do.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:05 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Well the problem with that is the build information is spread across several hundred pages on multiple threads, at least two locations on their website, and multiple videos on Youtube and Vimeo.. and they don't all agree with each other.

The build instructions on the website reference things that appear to no longer be true on the current version of the plane for example. Videos reference cutting the elevon corners but I don't see anything about this elsewhere and it doesn't say how much to cut. There are video parts 1,2,3, and 4 and then a 1.5 video that has things that need to be done at various parts of the three other videos also.

I have already had one instance of following a set of instructions and then later finding that I missed something that was listed in another set.. after I had glued the part and too late to fix it.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:26 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Have you looked through all the links on this page ....

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/index....4_The-Assassin

If you get fed up half way through them you could always watch the "40 planes in combat" video .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:58 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,840 Posts
If you have a question about the build, feel free to ask. This thread isn't like some others where if the question was asked 78 pages ago, no one here will give you a hard time about the question already being asked. Most of us understand the difficulty of locating a very specific answer on a thread this large.

The reason there are so many different ways to do this, is because the plane has evolved from it's original inception. Can you imagine how confusing things would be if there was a specific thread for each variation of this plane?

What I was trying to get at is you can personalize this plane as much as you'd like. It will fly great weather you cut the ailerons or not. It will fly great if you add wing tips or not. It will handle the weight of a 3S1000 pack, or a 3S2200 pack and a full can of soda.

What was your question? I'll be happy to help if I can.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Nov 03, 2010, 01:00 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,050 Posts
Here is the in depth in order list updated a few days ago.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/index....an-Grim-Reaper
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:34 PM
Joined Mar 2008
21 Posts
Quote:
i just built mine and had the same trouble finding instructions that didn't conflict. I used what worked for me. Many of us found different ways to build the assassin and put their ideas on this thread. If you find a technique that you like it is welcomed here. i wasn't to worried about making mine perfect because it is going to get beat up flying combat Don"t worry about messing it up. It will fly no matter how you build it
Dave
SUKWEE is offline Find More Posts by SUKWEE
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:54 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,050 Posts
Quote:
Well the problem with that is the build information is spread across several hundred pages on multiple threads, at least two locations on their website, and multiple videos on Youtube and Vimeo.. and they don't all agree with each other.

The build instructions on the website reference things that appear to no longer be true on the current version of the plane for example. Videos reference cutting the elevon corners but I don't see anything about this elsewhere and it doesn't say how much to cut. There are video parts 1,2,3, and 4 and then a 1.5 video that has things that need to be done at various parts of the three other videos also.

I have already had one instance of following a set of instructions and then later finding that I missed something that was listed in another set.. after I had glued the part and too late to fix it.

We are trying to focus all of the latest information and building order at the web site at the CTH site.

Please Go through the written instructions we posted there and tell us what you need. Be very specific.

The building technology keeps advancing as new ideas come out we change the plans we try to modify some of the old posts but there are so many links and posts now that it is almost impossible to keep them all updated and sure enough as we don't get them all the new builders find them. Videos are incredibly time consuming and hard to edit.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 10:45 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,050 Posts
I updated the building instructions on the www.crashtesthobby.com web page with all of the corrections that I have been E-mailed and have been suggested here. Please read the building instructions and if they aren't clear let me know. As Cliff says refer to the place things need to be fixed by chapter and verse.

Please let me know if there are things we should add that aren't there that would make things clearer. http://www.crashtesthobby.com/index....an-Grim-Reaper

I pulled the Roswell instructions out of the building instructions because they are enough different that they may have caused confusion. Do I need to separate the Assassin from the Reaper and Titan?

I have had several questions on what happened to TJ and who is Mike.

They are both my sons. TJ is down in Osorno Chile donating some time on a 2 year mission and Mike, his older brother, is covering for him while he is gone.

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Nov 05, 2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 11:05 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
I had an older stick and glue modeller guy that said he couldn't follow the instructions.

I am going to review the instructions.
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Last edited by cliffo; Nov 05, 2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 02:14 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,050 Posts
I agree that some of the video is out of sequence but if you have watched the videos the instructions make sense.

There are also photo instructions after the written instructions at http://www.crashtesthobby.com/index....an-Grim-Reaper

Many of the things we do are not done on other models so we do have a learning curve.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 02:24 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
ooops, over the line
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Last edited by cliffo; Nov 05, 2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:39 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Hey, do you guys think that a silver sharpie or black sharpie would be enough by itself to protect e-tape from uv degradation? Just curious. Also, I have not tried it yet, but maybe someone else has, can you get your laminate hot enough to stick to blue fan fold foam without melting said foam? well, that is, just where the e-tape would be? not just on the blue foam.

Thanks
P.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20