SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2010, 08:40 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Ok, had to fix it. The checkered elevons were just an aviation inspired use of sharpies I had on hand keeping it light, and good contrast. Not thinking about my two U of M students who immediately objected to Ohio State colors.! So now its a flying tribute to the big ten rivalry between U of M and OSU, with all things normal, UofM will allways lead the trailing buckeyes! I didnt really think this one through, and should have gone and invested in a yellow and navy blue sharpie!

Well, that settles it. I will have to get a Titan or a Grim Reaper to have a fresh canvas.

Under the nose is so that I don't forget where to send all the people that ask about it. Promotion is mutually benefitial because more than one wing is necessary for actual combat!
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Last edited by wheelspinner20; Oct 03, 2010 at 09:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2010, 05:18 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Waiting

Ordered batteries and props paid on Sept. 22nd. Still has not arrived from HK.

Ordered radio from Leaders on the 25th, it was here on Monday the 4th??

Is this normal?

P.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 05:40 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post

Is this normal?

P.
The HK order is normal, and will probably show up sometime in the next month.

The 9X from Leaders was super fast, and a great radio (I hope you got the 9X).
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Oct 06, 2010, 07:34 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Hong Kong

Quote:

Is this normal?

P.
Depends on when you order as to how soon you get the product. A shipment must be full before it's shipped and if your on the front (empty) of that shipment it will take longer than if you order at the back (full) of the shipment. So to speak.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Oct 09, 2010, 12:40 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
crickets.....

Ok well I hope I didn't kill this thread.

Batteries charged and balanced. No easy task with the cheap turnigy 3c compact charger... gotta get a better charger.

If all goes well it should maiden Sunday.! Forcast is mostly sunny with light and variable winds

By the way, how do most people like their D/R an expo's set?? Is there a trend or a rule of thumb...... thumb/forefinger??
Old Oct 09, 2010, 12:53 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
I fly 20% expo on Ail and Ele. DR depends on how much throw is in your horns. I set up 100% and 60% as a starting point. One for easy flying and the other for crazy fast aerobatics.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 04:12 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
Why is the Assassin listed as being 34" now? The Titan also is 2" shorter apparently? More sweep?
rdbell is online now Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:58 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
I maidened my assassin yesterday. It didn't go as smoothly as I had envisioned it. Launching and climbing out was fine, in fact, it was way faster than I expected it to be. That thing gets small quick. Winds were probably 10mph or so out of the west. Every time I would make the 2nd turn from cross wind to downwind, I would loose control. over rotate, inverte roll, whatever, I couldnt get it back. Lee makes a very tough plane, because, I probly nosed it into the ground about 18 times. I thought I would run out of battery before daylight, but not even close.

Repairs went smooth, the softened nose stiffened up nicely with a hot iron back over the seperated laminate. The motor mount flange was an issue, removed the two set screws and lock-tighted them and replaced. My rookie lack of skill was the biggest problem, I most likely had too much throw in the elevons. Turning down wind was a B***h.

I adjusted the throw limits in the radio several times, and improved each time up. ironically, the longest straightest flying it did was when I made no inputs on the stick. :-)

So today , for an encore I made one launch. Made two turns, forgot to reduce throttle, lost control hard into ground, and this time it did not refire. The receiver light briefly blips then goes right out. two other known good batteries same result. Both ESC and rx get somewhat warm when hooked up to batt. but nothing else works. When I unplug esc conn from receiver the motor makes beeps. So I think I am leaning towards a damaged rx.

How does one tell, which is bad, rx or esc??

Thanks.

Pat.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:02 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
By testing with other known parts that do work.

Are the servos moving, or not? If so, likely not the rx.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:21 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Thanks for being capt. obvious T-Mach. ...:-) however, these are the one and only set of rx and esc I own. I kinda figured it was rx, I read that review guy who took one apart say he was suprised it was just hot glued in the case not very well because the crystal on the board is fragile. The assassin is fine, toast one rx tho. The hit was a particullarly hard one, the motor mount didnt bend as far yesterday as it did today!!

Oh well. gotta find a rx. maybe a spare too.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:27 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
9x, right? Hobbypartz has the 6channel receiver CHEAP with free shipping.

You didn't answer the question, though. Are your servos still moving?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:34 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
K thanks.. sorry, forgot, no they will not move, no throttle or beeps from motor on power up either. however, when power is disconnected, sometimes the motor beeps. still havnt figured that one out.

I saw that the 6 channel was cheaper and a little smaller, however, the plugs are oriented off of the face of it, not off the ends, I could cut another slot on a 90 to my main one, but I dont really want to, and I feel like it would be bad to leave that big groove un-filled because of how much it flexes as many times as I am pile driving it. I should probly find a local rc top gun to help me out with control. ey?

Thanks for the tip on the rx, I will check them out.

Are there any first time flyers out there, or am i the only one on this thread?? Does anyone have any stories about how they learned and how many times they crashed??

P.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:58 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Likely you just disconnected one of the power leads going into the ESC. I would start by checking the solder points on your battery connectors. Even if an ESC is not connected to an RX, it will beep when the motor is connected and power applied.

I learned to fly my Assassin in the last 20 minutes of sunlight on a Friday night. The next day was an Un-Civil war. Between planes hitting me and learning to fly, I had completely destroyed the air frame within 30 minutes of the mass launch. I ripped the elecyronics out, and built number 2.

18 months later, it flew the un-civil war (it's second) and is still flying strong. Once you learn to fly it, it will last forever.

Simulator?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:03 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,841 Posts
Quote:
K thanks.. sorry, forgot, no they will not move, no throttle or beeps from motor on power up either. however, when power is disconnected, sometimes the motor beeps. still havnt figured that one out.

I saw that the 6 channel was cheaper and a little smaller, however, the plugs are oriented off of the face of it, not off the ends, I could cut another slot on a 90 to my main one, but I dont really want to, and I feel like it would be bad to leave that big groove un-filled because of how much it flexes as many times as I am pile driving it. I should probly find a local rc top gun to help me out with control. ey?

Thanks for the tip on the rx, I will check them out.

Are there any first time flyers out there, or am i the only one on this thread?? Does anyone have any stories about how they learned and how many times they crashed??

P.
It doesn't sound like your problems are experience related (or lack of experience for that matter). It's tough to tell what is going on third hand. If you're not getting anything at all from the motor or servos, it could be either one.

I know that doesn't help you too much. Find someone around you who also flies and test out your rx with an ESC that is known to work, and also test your ESC with an rx that is known to work.

I'm leaning more towards your rx being the problem. Even with bad ESC's, I've still had something from the other components.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:35 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Denial, thanks. I should make it more clear. Should of made two seperate posts. For sure, everything was functioning normally right before the last hard hit. Thats what took out reciever.

I was hoping that someone would show up at the field so I could hook up a good part to check , but it didnt work out. I was by myself.

So two seperate problems, for sure my lack of skill(but thanks for suggesting they are not) is what is driving the wing into the ground, it just took 21 times to finally break the rx! I say that laughing, I'm not proud, I consider this a challenge now.

So now I wait for a new receiver,

But still wonder like my last question, about learning the skill, stories, and how others learned to do this.

Thanks.

P