Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:19 AM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
SUPER DEAL!!!
We had a cutter set on too fast of a speed and it bowed the leading edge of a few Assassin wings 1/4". Most builders would not even notice the variation it is so small. It will not affect the flying and it gives us a reason for a super sale. While supply lasts buy 2 Assassin kits and get one free or 3 Assassin complete kits for $99.95 + S/H. They are shipped on one box to save on shipping expense.

To get this price go to the Store page on our web site and select the "3 Assassin Kit Special" option.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/index.php?p=1_6_Store

I also have 4 prototype thin Assassin sized wings left that use a thin airfoil similar to the Grim Reaper. The wing is a thin wing that should be flown with fins and will glide farther than the Assassin. They could be built as slope planes without motors. The wing is thin enough that the battery and servo have to be laid on their side. This new plane will be called the Widowmaker named after the world famous motorcycle climbing hill, hang glider and RC flying hill that is 20 minutes from my home.

These will be shipped as complete kits the same as the Assassin and using the same building instructions other than laying the battery and servos on their side.

If you buy one of these I would like some feedback on your set up and flying. We have already proven that they are great flying planes but want a few more out there before we add them to the web site.

I have been flying one of these for about 3 months and find that in most cases it would be hard to tell from the Assassin but when it comes to slope or thermal flying it will do better. In combat it does not offer as much protection to battery because it is on it's side exposing the edge of the lipo cells to damage with a forward impact just like most other flying wings on the market. The truth is I have had many combat hits without damage.

If you would like to try one of the thin wings order an Assassin and specify in the instructions you would like a thin wing. Only 4 are available.

Lee

3 more on the way for me
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:31 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5 Posts
so do I iron on the laminate wile the 3M90 is still wet, just haven't seen any updated build info with the spray adhesive.

please advise on the latest laminated covering process.
shadey is offline Find More Posts by shadey
Old Sep 25, 2010, 06:03 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
shadey - Let it dry- 20 to 30 minutes.

I believe a few of us are using the spray adhesive before the Extreme tape and laminate are applied. I have built 3 using 3M77 and Extreme tape only, no laminate and 1 using 3M90 with Riteweave (pre-preg fiberglass) with Lee's supplied laminate.

I am a believer in using the spray adhesive before applying the tape and laminate. I like the 3M90 over the 3M77. The reasons are the 3M90 is lighter and rolls into the crevices of the foam drys harder (stiffer) and if the covering pulls off you should be able to iron it back down if there is adhesive behind it.

The reason I use the spray adhesive is that the tape and the laminate pull off on MY planes without the assistance of the pre treatment of the adhesive. If the covering pulls off there is nothing supporting the foam and eventually the foam loosens up. If the covering stays on tight the planes are virtually indestructable and they keep their original form.
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Old Sep 25, 2010, 06:31 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
Crash Test Hobby Titan Combat - Pilot Retrieve (0 min 34 sec)

Pilot Retireve. How close can you get to your friend picking up his downed plane?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:08 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffo View Post
shadey - Let it dry- 20 to 30 minutes.

I believe a few of us are using the spray adhesive before the Extreme tape and laminate are applied. I have built 3 using 3M77 and Extreme tape only, no laminate and 1 using 3M90 with Riteweave (pre-preg fiberglass) with Lee's supplied laminate.

I am a believer in using the spray adhesive before applying the tape and laminate. I like the 3M90 over the 3M77. The reasons are the 3M90 is lighter and rolls into the crevices of the foam drys harder (stiffer) and if the covering pulls off you should be able to iron it back down if there is adhesive behind it.

The reason I use the spray adhesive is that the tape and the laminate pull off on MY planes without the assistance of the pre treatment of the adhesive. If the covering pulls off there is nothing supporting the foam and eventually the foam loosens up. If the covering stays on tight the planes are virtually indestructable and they keep their original form.
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know.

it seems the M90 strengthens the foam surface, fills in some of the pit's and Vally's of the foam so the laminate can adhear to more surface area.

some updated info like this would be helpful on the built page.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 02:42 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,983 Posts
Most of us do fine without any adhesive.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Sep 25, 2010, 08:51 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjohnson View Post
That's good to know, I already have a can of 3M90 from a different project so I think I'll spray it, that's if it doesn't add too much weight.

every OZ counts, does any body know if it will add .5 or more?

I have also made my own aluminum motor bracket and save .5 OZ with out the bolt and relief wholes drilled in it yet. I'm hoping my CF flaps will drop a little aswell. I'm waiting for all my parts to come in so I can set the CG with with the battery and motor placement so I will not have to add weight to make it fly right.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:24 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjohnson View Post
Are you saying your covering (tape and laminate) has never pulled off the foam? Flying combat? Landing hard? Hitting the ground?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:35 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
We originally used aluminum motor mounts but the aluminum if bent a couple of times cracks and breaks. The our new stainless steel mount will bend but has never broken I am aware of.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:15 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,983 Posts
I haven't had issues with the extreme tape / laminate pulling off the epp. Even in very severe combat and lot's of ground impact.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:10 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
I haven't had problems with laminate and tape either. My big problem is when people chop the laminate and tape off my plane with their propellers.

I think that getting the temperature of the iron right when you are applying the laminate makes a difference. There is some truth to the fact that an adhesive spray makes it easier to iron the loose laminate back down if it is loose but the spray adds build time and weight. I do use the adhesive spray if I airbrush under the laminate so the paint doesn't separate and release the laminate and tape.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 12:31 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
while I wait

While I wait for the batteries and radio to arrive on the slow boat from China I took the opportunity while watching football today to distinguish my assassin. The goal was to keep it light, and highly contrasted. (bottom is not finished yet probly silver sharpie where the blank checks are on the elevons and chrome lateral stripes along the spar line maybe)

While close inspection shows some small flaws and bleeding, the blue painters tape and sharpie technique proved to look good at 10 feet or so.

Anyone know the weight of sharpie ink per square inch...? I will try to post an AUW when I maiden it.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Oct 03, 2010, 02:14 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
While I wait for the batteries and radio to arrive on the slow boat from China I took the opportunity while watching football today to distinguish my assassin. The goal was to keep it light, and highly contrasted. (bottom is not finished yet probly silver sharpie where the blank checks are on the elevons and chrome lateral stripes along the spar line maybe)

While close inspection shows some small flaws and bleeding, the blue painters tape and sharpie technique proved to look good at 10 feet or so.

Anyone know the weight of sharpie ink per square inch...? I will try to post an AUW when I maiden it.
Not a lot! .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Oct 03, 2010, 11:51 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post

I'm curious about your flying weight of the plane. It looks like you even cut holes to lighten the motor mount.

The Assassin carries weight well with the thick wing. It's kind of like a Piper Cub. Good lift and stability with a thicker wing. Remember the video of a stock Assassin carrying a 13oz can of V8 tomato juice to high altitude in the bomb drop?

Is the Sharpie ink staying on the laminate without smearing?
Old Oct 03, 2010, 04:25 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Hey Lee,

Yes, I drilled holes in both the short and long sides of the motor mount bracket. I was carefull to stay away from the bend where the stress of a nose-in impact would be. I also cut a larger radius on each corner of the short motor mount side that matches the radius of the motor mount to increase weight loss and decrease drag. DONT do this if you intend to run the bigger 35-30 motor because I then noticed from other pics that you need those top corners for that mount! Oh well, I will build or buy a replacement later if I upgrade on the motor.

Observations on sharpies for color/contrast: black seems to stick and dry best, there is no transfer to fingers when handling at all. There is some oxidation I think that skin oil does to it, but not noticible until up close. The black color bled underneath the blue tape more than silver or red did. Red has a definate translucent look, which was good when combined with the iridescent reflections of the fibers in the extreme tape. But, the red does lightly transfer to skin with prolonged finger contact. I tried a seperate sample piece to see if light coat of clear would affect the sharpie ink. The black seemed unaffected, red was instantly broken down to a yellowish orange slime, and the blue was affected but stayed blue, I didnt have a silver sample to spray with the rustoleum painters touch clear. But the untreated silver seems to hold up like the black, no transfer to skin.

Bottom line is this was for lightweight contrast, I'm sure there is some awesome looking wings out there, but lets face it, the purpose here is to try to smash each other out of the sky because it's fun right? Seeing that in the videos is what sucked me into this venture. As long as it helps me see it and identify its orientation its fine with me.

Does anyone else have experience with waiting forever for stuff from HK and Leadershobby??
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20