HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:13 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5 Posts
Hi Lee

It arrived today and after looking at it I think it will be perfect for what I want to do. I expected it to be a lot thicker and more of an A metrical wing. this wing will make a lot of lift, with the motor placement and the swoop of the wing it should be quite stable as proven by others.

as far as the elevon's go I would just use scrap around the house that would be 1mm or less, it may change the lift characteristics because of the lack of tapper and I don't see much weight savings but what the hell.

Back to the subject

On a non combat ASSASSIN wing treated with kid gloves, what taping and shock cord should it need to survive the TP2409_12D or a lil bit bigger.

I'm thinking of just putting some Zagi tape across the spar with out the shock cord,, what do you veteran builders think. (of cores with the Laminate as well)

and I was wondering, if anyone used carbon arrows shanks, I find some of the broken ones at the archery shop for free or very cheap (many different sizes, thicknesses and very high quality) I have used them on a variety of my R/C aircraft and my PPG in the past, super strong and able to flex a bit.
shadey is offline Find More Posts by shadey
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:19 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,328 Posts
The shock cord is prevents a certain kind of damage. When you crash on the nose any kind of plane including flying wing it is common to split the wing starting at the back of the wing, between the elevons though the servo cut outs. I was able to limit this kind of damage with a crisscross of extreme tape both top and bottom but the shock cord is so much lighter that it is my reinforcement of choice for reinforcing the TE of a wing.

I have built light planes that have lasted years without any tape or very limited tape but still with the spar, shock cord and laminate and had them survive UFO combat which is without mercy. I really like the extreme tape hinges because they last better than any others I have tried.

The weight of the plane will be a big factor in which motor to choose. If your plane is light 16 oz or less it will go straight up with the FC2812 motor which is only $6. That is a big selling point for me. To have a plane with this kind of performance with only a 1050 3S or 1300 3S battery is also impressive if you are flying on a budget.

I have seen arrow shafts used for fuselages and wing reinforcement.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:52 AM
Joined Jul 2010
217 Posts
Reinforcement Tape

I have built 2 wings using Fiberglas Drywall Jointing tape as I could not get Extreme tape. It bonds well to the laminate and you end up with reinforced laminate without the double layer of plastic. It may need a dusting of M77 to help the tape stick to the foam. A spiral wrap of drywall tape round the foam elevons with a layer of laminate is rigid if you iron firmly to bond them together. H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:34 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanBlue View Post
I have built 2 wings using Fiberglas Drywall Jointing tape as I could not get Extreme tape. It bonds well to the laminate and you end up with reinforced laminate without the double layer of plastic. It may need a dusting of M77 to help the tape stick to the foam. A spiral wrap of drywall tape round the foam elevons with a layer of laminate is rigid if you iron firmly to bond them together. H
I have heard of others doing this and am always open to suggestions and new ideas.

Please take some pictures that show the product and how you apply it and post them here. How is it for weight?

I prefer the 3M90 over the 3M77 because it is lighter but the 3M77 stays tacky and may work better in this application.

Thanks for the input.

PS Where do you live with a name like that? I think I am jealous. Of course it is hurricane season.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 05:16 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
565 Posts
The carbon arrow shaft, if used, one must go on the top and one on the bottom of the wing if using instead of the supplied carbon spar.

The previous two Assassin built before this last Assassin were covered entirely in Extreme tape using 3M77 before applying the tape. No laminate The tape stays down much better, excuse me, the tape stays down period using this method. Did not stay down all that well before the 3M77. With the TP2409-12D and 1350mah battery these weigh 18+oz.

The last Assassin using Riteweave and 3M90 and the supplied laminate came out 1+oz lighter and stiffer than the all Extreme tape wing. The Riteweave was applied where Lee instructions show to put the Extreme tape; "cross your heart", perimeter and elevons.

Building a Titan from only Extreme tape is not stiff enough and will do a full body flutter. It requires the laminate also. The Assassin will not flutter using only Extreme tape.

My next build will be a Titan using Riteweave, 3M90 and laminate. I am considering using the TP2409-12d motor with a 1350mah battery. Should come in under 26oz.
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Old Sep 19, 2010, 07:32 AM
Joined Jul 2010
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I have heard of others doing this and am always open to suggestions and new ideas.

Please take some pictures that show the product and how you apply it and post them here. How is it for weight?

I prefer the 3M90 over the 3M77 because it is lighter but the 3M77 stays tacky and may work better in this application.

Thanks for the input.

PS Where do you live with a name like that? I think I am jealous. Of course it is hurricane season.
Hi Lee,

A 90metre roll of FibaTape weighs an oz more than a 20metre roll of Extreme tape on my scales, so 3oz per 10metre for Extreme and <>1oz per 10metre of Drywall tape I think. I will post some pics. The colours of the sea around Grand Turk are quite amazing! but it can be windy...... H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Last edited by CaribbeanBlue; Sep 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 08:13 AM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
The flat, packable, traveling Assassin for aerial photography?

I've been using an 808 #3 key fob camera with my Champ so that is my minimalistic camera of choice. When I would travel (for vacation), I'd also need something that can fly stably in a variety of wind conditions because you never know what conditions you'll find for the few days where you might be at your destination. My example travel episode would be traveling from Iowa to Sanibel Island in Florida and flying off the beach.

I've been on a quest for a RC plane I can pack into an airplane carry-on suitcase. United specifies a size of 22" x 14" x 8". This ends up with a usable interior space of 19" x 12.5" x 7.5".

A plane with no rudder, no fuselage is appealing for obvious reasons so that has led me to flying wings. Further more, a flying wing with no fins is even more appealing so they don't get broken in transport.

That brings me to the Assassin!

To get it to fit, it would have to be transported in at least two pieces. Someone has suggested that a three piece design might be best; Center body with motor/ESC/mixer/receiver mounted and two wings to attach.

Here is a similar idea in the Scythe thread of a two-piece design.

129g 24" Travelling Scythe
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=144

So... what do you think? Is the Assassin a good candidate for this sort of project? I won't be flying combat. I just need smooth flying, stable plane I can pack in a carry-on. I want to fly slow so I think I would build it "light". I need a little power to push through the wind if it is windy but I have no intention of flying it "fast".

I've been looking at small motors with maybe a 5 or 6 inch prop (5 x 3?) and 2S batteries.

Got ideas or recommendations on layout, set up, motor-prop-battery combinations? I'm pretty new at this (just started this summer) and don't have any previous building experience.

Since I don't plan to fly combat, do I still need the weight of the laminate on the wings?

Ideas and suggestions appreciated!
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Last edited by MiddleMarc; Sep 19, 2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 03:15 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
There have been a few people that have done only extreme tape and didn't do the laminate and they were fine. I think before the laminate that's all there was was the tape! I know for sure of at least one guy that only did tape on the scythe in order to save weight.
rdbell is offline Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Sep 19, 2010, 06:37 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleMarc View Post
The flat, packable, traveling Assassin for aerial photography?
A plane with no rudder, no fuselage is appealing for obvious reasons so that has led me to flying wings. Further more, a flying wing with no fins is even more appealing so they don't get broken in transport.

That brings me to the Assassin! To get it to fit, it would have to be transported in at least two pieces. Someone has suggested that a three piece design might be best; Center body with motor/ESC/mixer/receiver mounted and two wings to attach.

So... what do you think? Is the Assassin a good candidate for this sort of project? I won't be flying combat. I just need smooth flying, stable plane I can pack in a carry-on. I want to fly slow so I think I would build it "light". I need a little power to push through the wind if it is windy but I have no intention of flying it "fast".

Since I don't plan to fly combat, do I still need the weight of the laminate on the wings?
The Assassin will easily carry the weight of a camera and is one of the most stable small planes available. It flies great in wind. We have been know to fly and even do combat when the winds are 25+ MPH. It is one of the most flyable planes in rough weather because what is the worse that can happen? Even if you wreck you're not likely to break the plane.

It flies well without fins making it easier to carry. Being thicker it is stronger before support is added. Dividing the plane in half to carry it in a suitcase can be done a variety of ways. I know it is being discussed on the Grim Reaper thread too.

Some like to have the tips come off so the motor and radio are all in the same piece. and the wings are attached for flight. Others like the plane to come apart in the middle. Either way it adds weight to add the reinforcement to make it come apart in separate pieces so you need to be careful not to make it heavy.

The Extreme Tape is UV sensitive and won't last without the laminate but I built several planes with just the Extreme Tape and some paint over the top. The foam doesn't break down just the tape.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:25 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
To experienced assassin owners:
If starting again knowing what you know, is the weight sacrifice of the 1350 rhino`s worth the extra flying time versus keeping on the lighter side (1050mAh) asking from a straight up rookie perspective....never having flown any rc befor. I assembled my assassin and am gathering the mechanicals. fc28-12 motor castle t-bird 36 esc.

Oh and 1 more. Havnt found any posts yet pertaining to range?(still reading every day) the spektrum 6110 can one out fly good sight of the wing (in many of the videos-it seems sometimes hard to see) and what happens to it if it goes out of range.? I did read Lee`s suggestion of name and phone printed on model....but has anyone ever lost one?

I really cant wait....its like im 12 all over again!

P.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Sep 20, 2010, 01:07 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
To experienced assassin owners:
If starting again knowing what you know, is the weight sacrifice of the 1350 rhino`s worth the extra flying time versus keeping on the lighter side (1050mAh) asking from a straight up rookie perspective....never having flown any rc befor. I assembled my assassin and am gathering the mechanicals. fc28-12 motor castle t-bird 36 esc.

Oh and 1 more. Havnt found any posts yet pertaining to range?(still reading every day) the spektrum 6110 can one out fly good sight of the wing (in many of the videos-it seems sometimes hard to see) and what happens to it if it goes out of range.? I did read Lee`s suggestion of name and phone printed on model....but has anyone ever lost one?

I really cant wait....its like im 12 all over again!

P.
It is hard to fly out of site with the 6110 receivers. I have done it when flying at extreme height when the plane is just a tiny dot in the sky when I was dropping parachutes but that is the only time and the distance was totally unreasonable even for a full range radio. The plane went into a spin and dive and was coming down pretty fast. As the plane came back down it finally bound back on to the TX and I did get her back under control and down. I could hardly see the plane it was so high. It was so far away I was crazy to have flown there.

I have not had the glitches with the Spektrum that I had on the 72 mHz even at a distance.

The 1300 batteries are about the right weight to get the CG on without adding any lead to the plane. If you are going to add weight let it have a function. I have the 1050s too and they fly fine.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 01:24 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
I fly with the rhino 1350's in mine. It flies great.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:01 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
I fly with the rhino 1350's in mine. It flies great.
same for me ..... they seem a perfect match for the Assassin ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:03 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
If you buy enough batteries it's not a big deal and I guess every little bit of weight will make a difference. I think the flying time is pretty good with the 1350s and don't think 1000s would be too bad either.
rdbell is offline Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:06 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,561 Posts
Hello, all you Assassin people. I'm just gonna drop in and say that whoever figured out how to make wings fly without fins is a GENIUS.

I don't have an Assassin (sorry ) but I applied the idea to one of my scratchbuilt wings and it WORKED and I nearly DROPPED MY TRANSMITTER. Flies better than it did WITH fins

Ok, back on topic
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀