HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:02 PM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Did you post this also on the Titan thread? If not please do it is an easy way to get great results
Just did,
and thanks for the great planes Lee!

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:08 PM
Happy landings
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jul 2007
671 Posts
Hunting the Assassin

I just had to make one more. This is me chasing my buddy's Assassin at our local flying ground..

Make sure you watch it in HD!

Hunting the Assassin (2 min 20 sec)
paulrene is offline Find More Posts by paulrene
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:25 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Paulrene, that is some really cool stuff and the soundtrack is perfect, thanks for taking the time to edit and post. Humor intended-but lee should probly consider promotional consideration for you because watching your videos inspired me to purchase his wing. Its on the way and I can't wait.

How much weight sacrifice is the camera, and does that contribute to the fact that you never actually appeared to "catch" your friends wing.? Is adding lights difficult as a add-on later? How much weight do they add? Is additional power source needed for lights and if not, how many minutes does it take away from fly time?

Love the sunset shots, and the view there in Norway is beautiful. If I could make a suggestion, next time out, how hard would it be for your friend to slow down enough so that having his plane in the shot for more of the video? I'm asking because, never having flown before, have no idea how difficult it is.! Of course, combat strikes would be cool to see too. :-)

Anyway, keep them coming, could watch for hours.!

P.
Michigan, U.S.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:14 AM
Happy landings
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jul 2007
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Paulrene, that is some really cool stuff and the soundtrack is perfect, thanks for taking the time to edit and post. Humor intended-but lee should probly consider promotional consideration for you because watching your videos inspired me to purchase his wing. Its on the way and I can't wait.

How much weight sacrifice is the camera, and does that contribute to the fact that you never actually appeared to "catch" your friends wing.? Is adding lights difficult as a add-on later? How much weight do they add? Is additional power source needed for lights and if not, how many minutes does it take away from fly time?

Love the sunset shots, and the view there in Norway is beautiful. If I could make a suggestion, next time out, how hard would it be for your friend to slow down enough so that having his plane in the shot for more of the video? I'm asking because, never having flown before, have no idea how difficult it is.! Of course, combat strikes would be cool to see too. :-)

Anyway, keep them coming, could watch for hours.!

P.
Michigan, U.S.
Lights is weights almost nothing. I buy them from HobbyKing and run them on 12V straight from the main battery. Reduces flight time by 5% I guess. The camera makes the Assassin a bit more sluggish, but handles the weight without any other problems.

You are going to be 100% satisfied with this plane. I promise! It's so much fun to fly..

One more from today:

Assassin's Escape (1 min 25 sec)
Old Sep 07, 2010, 09:02 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrene View Post
Lights is weights almost nothing. I buy them from HobbyKing and run them on 12V straight from the main battery. Reduces flight time by 5% I guess. The camera makes the Assassin a bit more sluggish, but handles the weight without any other problems.

You are going to be 100% satisfied with this plane. I promise! It's so much fun to fly..

One more from today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqYI4fcx9wk
Are the LEDs cut into the foam or placed under the laminate?
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:18 AM
Happy landings
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jul 2007
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFedDSM View Post
Are the LEDs cut into the foam or placed under the laminate?
I use these from hobbyking ( http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...p-Yellow_(1mtr) ) in different colors. I tape the to the foam and then do the laminate. This protects the wiring and the leds on landings.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 02:00 PM
USA, OH, Mason
Joined Jun 2010
136 Posts
I use the HK LED strips as well. They rock. I have done this two ways: on my Assasin I embedded them in the foam by cutting a slit. On my Grip Reaper I put them on the surface. The embedded ones are neater, streamlined and look very cool. The surface ones are visible at more angles but stick out and probably hurt the aerodynamics of the airfoil a bit. I'm torn on which I'll do next time--they both work.

Here's a tip though: sewing stores sell long sewing needles for upolstery.. 4-6" long. I used one of these to push my wire through the foam. I alternated between lights on the top and bottom so the wires zig-zag between the top and bottom of the wing.. let me see if I can draw it:

___/-----\____/----

the flat sections are the LEDs on top or bottom. I have white lights at the bottom center, a white strip on each side out from there on the top, then a strip of red on each site on the bottom, and finally a strip of green at the tips on top. It works well and keeps the wiring simple because it's all one circuit and wire run on each wing.
andrejk is offline Find More Posts by andrejk
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:02 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
When I put the lights on my Scythe I just taped them to the top and the plane would hardly fly. After I embedded them the plane flew great and looks great too. I cut a slit and put the LED strips bulb down and the whole wing lights up. The EPP foam is a good light reflector and is as bright as the moon.

This plane rolls about 3x second and will go straight up.

Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Sep 09, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:58 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
noob question

The hxt900 servo that is recommended for the bomb drop on the assassin is back-ordered at hobby king, Can anyone recommend a suitable substitute? thanks.

P.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:46 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,865 Posts
If it's just for the servo drop, the hxt500's will even work.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:25 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Thanks, links were very helpful, appreciate it.!
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:25 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
SUPER DEAL!!!
We had a cutter set on too fast of a speed and it bowed the leading edge of a few Assassin wings 1/4". Most builders would not even notice the variation it is so small. It will not affect the flying and it gives us a reason for a super sale. While supply lasts buy 2 Assassin kits and get one free or 3 Assassin complete kits for $99.95 + S/H. They are shipped on one box to save on shipping expense.

To get this price go to the Store page on our web site and select the "3 Assassin Kit Special" option.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/index.php?p=1_6_Store

I also have 4 prototype thin Assassin sized wings left that use a thin airfoil similar to the Grim Reaper. The wing is a thin wing that should be flown with fins and will glide farther than the Assassin. They could be built as slope planes without motors. The wing is thin enough that the battery and servo have to be laid on their side. This new plane will be called the Widowmaker named after the world famous motorcycle climbing hill, hang glider and RC flying hill that is 20 minutes from my home.

These will be shipped as complete kits the same as the Assassin and using the same building instructions other than laying the battery and servos on their side.

If you buy one of these I would like some feedback on your set up and flying. We have already proven that they are great flying planes but want a few more out there before we add them to the web site.

I have been flying one of these for about 3 months and find that in most cases it would be hard to tell from the Assassin but when it comes to slope or thermal flying it will do better. In combat it does not offer as much protection to battery because it is on it's side exposing the edge of the lipo cells to damage with a forward impact just like most other flying wings on the market. The truth is I have had many combat hits without damage.

If you would like to try one of the thin wings order an Assassin and specify in the instructions you would like a thin wing. Only 4 are available.

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Sep 17, 2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:01 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post

I also have 4 prototype thin Assassin sized wings left that use a thin airfoil similar to the Grim Reaper. The wing is a thin wing that will fly better with fins and will glide farther than the Assassin. They could be built as slope planes without motors. The wing is thin enough that the battery and servo have to be laid on their side.

These will be shipped as complete kits the same as the Assassin and using the same building instructions other than laying the battery and servos on their side.

Lee

I think I missed this wonderful opportunity by a couple of days.

I'm not really interested in flying combat, I'm just interested I'm buzzing the Sky's with a high performance wing.

Hi Guys

I'm a first time poster and a long time member to this forum. I have ordered my ASSASSIN a couple days ago and I'm looking forward to building it to be lite weight and agile.

Heres what my set up is going to be.

Motor
TowerPro Brushless Outrunner TP2409_12D

Prop
7x6 apc

ESC
30 amp

Battery
1300mAh 3cell 20c

Receiver
JR micro

Servos
I'm gonna try some lite weight servo that
I have in stock but I also ordered some Hitec HS82MG

I'm also thinking about Carbon fiber elevon's, that's if I have the correct size CF laying around

What I would like to ask the ASSASSIN builders is, what's the minimal that I will need with this size motor?

I want to make it lite but am unsure if I should install the cord around it and how much tape it will need for extra support.

I will only be flying in big open areas by my self and the only obstacles that I can foresee it the occasional bush during landings.

Tod
shadey is offline Find More Posts by shadey
Old Sep 17, 2010, 05:22 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
The Assassin flies great and the comparison is not to put down the performance of the Assassin but to offer a different option.

I have been flying the Assassin and Widowmaker side by side for months and under power they are very similar. The Assassin with the thicker wing has a gentler stall and a higher lift load and being thicker it is stronger and flies well without fins. The Widowmaker is lighter thinner plane and will glide farther but has a more abrupt stall due to the thinner wing.

The intent of the Widowmaker is to fill the gap for the slopers who have been after me since we started selling the Grim Reaper for a smaller wing.

The EPP elevons fly great and are more durable than balsa. One of the other advantages is they can bend with the wing and the hinges will last where hinges often fail especially in combat but in day to day wear and tear too. You can use the CF elevons but it is overkill.

You will have to let us know how the 2409 12D works on the plane. Good power with that motor but make sure you check the amps you are using.

Lee
Last edited by Lee; Sep 17, 2010 at 05:33 PM.