HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:17 AM
Joined Aug 2006
322 Posts
how is ther no wash out with no fins?
What speed are you getting out of these wing.
Sweet video. love the can drop
Howard Hughes is offline Find More Posts by Howard Hughes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:50 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hughes View Post
how is there no wash out with no fins?
What speed are you getting out of these wing.
Sweet video. love the can drop
It's magic. We just got the right combination of airfoil, shape and weight. It will lift a lot of weight with the fat airfoil as can be seen by a 16 oz AUW plane carrying a 13 oz bomb. (Think about that one for a minute!!!) It is incredibly stable and still does great aerobatics too!!!

The prop speed is about 70 mph and the plane will fly that fast with a fresh battery. It is a great speed for this size of plane. It is fast for close in flying and doesn't take all of the super reinforcement required by the bullet planes.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jul 10, 2010, 05:52 PM
Joined May 2007
79 Posts
Lee, what is the dimensions of the CF spar you include in your kits? Thanks.
belac2696 is offline Find More Posts by belac2696
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:59 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
We are using a 7mm x 1mm spar that is about 20" long.

With the laminate and the Extreme Tape it has been lightweight and strong.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:29 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
Rosamond,Ca
Joined Jun 2008
630 Posts
Hi, I just built the assassin and you did a great job with this one lee, the tutorials are awesome too, I wish every manufacturer could do that, I have a question though, my plane fflys a little squirly, it likes to go into a little spin without motor, requires a few clicks of right aileron to fly straight, and the wings like to rock back and forth Is there anything that I can do to fix this, Thanks!
SamB125 is offline Find More Posts by SamB125
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:30 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Sounds like the CG is too far back. The tapered elevons like to fly with the CG farther forward.

All of the things you describe can be attributed to the CG too far back on a flying wing.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:28 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Sounds like the CG is too far back. The tapered elevons like to fly with the CG farther forward.

All of the things you describe can be attributed to the CG too far back on a flying wing.
Lee .... do you have a dimension for the C of G on the tapered elevon Assassin? .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:43 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
It's close to 6" back from the nose.

If you are having any trouble don't hesitate to experiment a and add a little weight to the nose and see if it improves the flying. Most of the time it is the CG, loose linkages or too much or too little throw.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:37 AM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
Lee, I just started getting a pretty bad wobble at high speeds. Any clue? I figured it was a broken spar, but it seems solid to me.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:48 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
IMO, anything that happpens at high speed but not at low speed is secondary to one of the following:

1) loose linkages... The servos themselves can loosen in thei holes, the z bends can be loose in he servo horn, or the elevon servo horn might be loose.
2) stripped servos... Had a guy at the field who stripped one tiny tooth on the servo, and seemed to fly fine until high speeds, then the gear would strip.

3) Loose laminate or tape... This is a tricky one. If you have a slit somewhere in your laminate, it won't catch much air until you are really hauling. Punch the throttle and hen cut it right as it flies overhead. If you hear a fluttering noise, something is catching. Otherwise hold the nose of the plane in front of a powerful floor fan and see if any loose stuff. I had a clean slice through the laminate on one of the elevons that plagued me for a few weeks til I realized it and taped it down!

Any links for c clips that are known to fit the 2812 motors?
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:50 AM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
IMO, anything that happpens at high speed but not at low speed is secondary to one of the following:

1) loose linkages... The servos themselves can loosen in thei holes, the z bends can be loose in he servo horn, or the elevon servo horn might be loose.
2) stripped servos... Had a guy at the field who stripped one tiny tooth on the servo, and seemed to fly fine until high speeds, then the gear would strip.

3) Loose laminate or tape... This is a tricky one. If you have a slit somewhere in your laminate, it won't catch much air until you are really hauling. Punch the throttle and hen cut it right as it flies overhead. If you hear a fluttering noise, something is catching. Otherwise hold the nose of the plane in front of a powerful floor fan and see if any loose stuff. I had a clean slice through the laminate on one of the elevons that plagued me for a few weeks til I realized it and taped it down!

Any links for c clips that are known to fit the 2812 motors?

THAT's IT!!. I forgot my servos are loose in the wing. Thanks. I've been meaning to re-glue them, but I keep forgetting. Now I know I need to get it done sooner than later.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:20 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
It's close to 6" back from the nose.

If you are having any trouble don't hesitate to experiment a and add a little weight to the nose and see if it improves the flying. Most of the time it is the CG, loose linkages or too much or too little throw.
Thanks for that ...... my own Assassin with the older elevon design is still flying great and I consider it one of my favourite models ...... it has a lot of hours up on it .....

a Buddie has the new tapered elevons and has still to fine tune it ..... will play around with the C of G a little ....

cheers .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:40 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
The advantage of the new elevon design is significantly improved glide because of decreased drag. I still have two of the older design with the square elevons that I fly at times. Under power I can't tell much difference between the two but with the power off the tapered elevons fly better.

Some flyers say they miss the rocket sound that came from the square elevons now that they have planes with tapered elevons. It's hard to please everybody.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:32 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
We love our Assassins in Texas and Lee is very helpful in getting these built right.

The bad thing is the Hobbico, Parkzone and EFlight people don't want to share the same quadrant. We don't mean any harm. We just like close flying. It's easier to see the planes when they are flying together.
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:56 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Cliff and I were talking about super reinforcement on the Assassin for the bigger motors. We had this same question when the big motors were put on the Titan. When we designed the spar system we wanted to be simple and fast to build and handle the G force of the 1 lb plane. As the speeds and weight have gone up the need to increase the strength of the spar system also is being addressed.

I just built a new Assassin and it was built with the stock spar from the kit. I have already tested it in combat without problem. If you want to strengthen the wing for the super motors, add another spar on the top of the wing. The two spars working together are more than double the strength of a single spar. It's like 1+1=4 because of the distance between the spars acting like an I beam.

If you have broken a spar....do not peel off the laminate. Take a razor blade and cut a slit through the laminate and add a second spar then patch the laminate This should only be a 15 minute fix. You can add a second spar on the other side of the wing the same way.