Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:15 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,891 Posts
I always laugh when someone wrecks and everyone cheers. Did I ever mention I love EPP?

Here is another game to try.

launch *** 3 loops *** 3 rolls right, *** 3 rolls left *** and a catch repeated 3 times. If you miss the catch you have to start that launch over. If you are getting behind you try to take out your opponent's planes
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:16 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
What is the recommended control throws for the Assassin with the tapered elevons? I think I saw in one of the videos that the elevon should be even with the bottom of the wing as it's neutral setting. I set it like that and it sure looks like it needs some "up" or it will end up in a quick dive. Got my wing just about ready to fly but haven't had time to get to the field yet.
I usually start with the bottom of the elevon trimmed with the bottom of the wing. Depending on CG it is close.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:48 PM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,172 Posts
We run 6 lap heats. Only fair way to get everyone in the air quickly was with a few bucks of PVC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
I like the launching platforms. Great idea for beginners, too. Don't have to worry about launching.
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old Jun 18, 2010, 08:58 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I usually start with the bottom of the elevon trimmed with the bottom of the wing. Depending on CG it is close.
Thanks, Lee. Got a ballpark figure for elevator throw?
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Jun 19, 2010, 07:13 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
Thanks, Lee. Got a ballpark figure for elevator throw?
Hows this?

Preflight of a flying wing #2 12-09 (4 min 17 sec)
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:40 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,891 Posts
We had a great session of combat today. We had one of the regular flyers trying to explain to a gas/glow flyer the difference between the Assassn and other EPP planes and the balsa and fuel planes he was used to flying. It only took about 10 hits and a number of hard landings to get the point across.

The flyer was concerned that it is hard to stay oriented to flying wings. It is something most have to get used to but once you have a few flights it is not a problem.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:46 PM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,172 Posts
Take off, 3 inside loops, 3 outside loops, 3 rolls to the right, 3 rolls to the left and land at your feet, 1 time. Best of the group is 44 seconds so far.

Quote:
I always laugh when someone wrecks and everyone cheers. Did I ever mention I love EPP?

Here is another game to try.

launch *** 3 loops *** 3 rolls right, *** 3 rolls left *** and a catch repeated 3 times. If you miss the catch you have to start that launch over. If you are getting behind you try to take out your opponent's planes
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:21 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt View Post
Take off, 3 inside loops, 3 outside loops, 3 rolls to the right, 3 rolls to the left and land at your feet, 1 time. Best of the group is 44 seconds so far.
Land at your feet????? .....Naaaaaa, catch it in your teeth.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:42 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,826 Posts
Quote:
Land at your feet????? .....Naaaaaa, catch it in your teeth.
That explains a few things, Lee.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:16 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
I have a order at HK that has been held up because the card programmable ss30 is OOS. They now have the regular non card prog ones in stock. Anyone ever had a problem with them? Gunna swap out the order late tonight when China wakes up
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Jun 30, 2010, 04:49 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
I have a order at HK that has been held up because the card programmable ss30 is OOS. They now have the regular non card prog ones in stock. Anyone ever had a problem with them? Gunna swap out the order late tonight when China wakes up
Why not get a 30A Turnigy plush ESC ..... quality and performance is great ..... sounds like you may have the card and the cost is just a touch more than the SS ....... using the card is so much easier and faster and no nervous break-downs using a Tx to program .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jul 04, 2010, 01:06 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,891 Posts
As I help people test in new planes I realize that it is hard for people who haven't flown before to get their plane set up and flying with the help they have in their neighborhood or club. I wish I could help you all and trim your first plane in for you.

I helped a frustrated flyer today that had never flown a flying wing before. He followed the videos but still:

Had the prop on backwards,
Had the elevons reversed,
Had too much throw for a beginner,
Had no guides on the pushrods.
Had a tail heavy plane.
Was flying with just his thumbs on the sticks.

After these minor things were fixed he was flying fairly well.

Any one of the things listed can bring down a plane.

For the first flights keep the CG close to the 6" back from the nose.
Old Jul 04, 2010, 05:54 AM
Joined Jun 2006
4 Posts
I received my assassin last week and all i can say its a brilliant kit and is solid, i made the mistake of buying a turnigy motor for it but the wires are rubbish on them because the insulation is silicone and rubs away on the motor mount and shorted in flight so i've ordered a better quality axi 2212/12 motor for it for some more power and speed can wait for it to arrive to get back in the air!!!!
kennyrobotics is offline Find More Posts by kennyrobotics
Old Jul 04, 2010, 12:57 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyrobotics View Post
I received my assassin last week and all i can say its a brilliant kit and is solid, i made the mistake of buying a turnigy motor for it but the wires are rubbish on them because the insulation is silicone and rubs away on the motor mount and shorted in flight so i've ordered a better quality axi 2212/12 motor for it for some more power and speed can wait for it to arrive to get back in the air!!!!
Lee's motor suggestion on his 'purchasing list' is the FC 28-12 Brushless Outrunner 1534kv ...... it's available from HK at a touch under $6.00 but I found it at a European web site for the same cost ....... I have a lot of flying hours on it and must say it's a lot of motor for few dollars .....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...51&postcount=1
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jul 09, 2010, 07:30 PM
Payson, Utah
Joined Feb 2010
147 Posts
Introduced the assassin to a sprinkler riser today down at the sod farm. Spun just like a boomerang and I thought boy that's gona leave a mark........WRONG. Picked it up no damage, went back to fly'en. Gotta love them wings! I hope Lee doesn't find out that if he didrnt engineer these so well he could sell more planes. He must have misses the day in school when they taught about engineered obsolescence.
burhead27 is offline Find More Posts by burhead27