HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:10 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
I had one of the flyers tell me there is someplace with the HS82MGs for less than $20 shipped. Ryan and Steve can you help us here?
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:53 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I had one of the flyers tell me there is someplace with the HS82MGs for less than $20 shipped. Ryan and Steve can you help us here?
Sounds like a good deal to me. I've seen them for $21.99 most places but you still get hit with shipping.

I'm going to be testing some Tower Pro MG90s. I've heard good things about them. If they work well and I can get them for a good price, I'll stock them. It could be a few weeks down the road before I get them in hand and tested.

Ryan
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old Jul 13, 2009, 04:22 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
The reason we need metal gear servos is we like to do combat and like to hit things. I have flown an Assassin on the HXT 900 servos and it did fine but it only took one hard hit to strip the gears.

As we look for the most durable and reliable servos we can find don't get too caught up on price. If you have a servo failure you can loose a plane or even worse a day of flying.

Here is the best price on the HS82MG that I have seen.

http://shop.tomsrc.com/product_info....roducts_id=765

http://shop.tomsrc.com/product_info....roducts_id=767

I haven't ever seen these Towerpro servos before. I notice there are at least two grades of this same servo. Prices are not bad...how reliable is the servo???

http://www.hobby-wing.com/tower-pro-mg90-servo-.html

http://stores.servosandstuff.com/-st...Categories.bok

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...3.4g_/_0.10sec

http://www.himodel.com/search.php?ps...&Submit=Search

This servo seems well liked and is ball bearing and higher output

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s....16sec_/_17.4g

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Jul 13, 2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:43 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
I have been doing more testing with the 3M90 and airbrush. I like the 3M90 better than the 3M77 Look at post 11 in this thread for more information.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:41 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Lee, I have Tower Pro MG 90's that you linked above in my Assassin. I have only had one hard crash with them so far and they are still good (to the best of my knowledge). The crash was hard enough to break the zip tie control horn, but the servo still seems to be intact. My main problem with them is that the servo horns are pretty small. To drill them out with for the control rods in your kit, it put the hole right to the edge of the material. I ended up epoxying more material on the horn and wrapping with thread dipped in the epoxy. That method also survived the hard crash. I looked for the HD horns, but the research that I did showed that besides the TP horns, the only other ones that will fit are the GWS Naro Horns I havent personally tried them, but that is what I read on another thread somewhere. If you want pics of my servo horn mod for the TP servos, let me know and I will get some on here.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:34 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
cna91
Which servos do you have? Are they MG90 or MG90S?

Ryan
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:37 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken hawk
cna91
Which servos do you have? Are they MG90 or MG90S?

Ryan
This one... I guess just the regular MG90
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:46 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
The regular ones that you have are better than the MG90S. I have both on order. I think they will be here by Saturday so I'll be able to test them in the swarm.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 01:08 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2009
23 Posts
News from Germany

After the "copy-pinata" now my "copy-assassin" is finished. It has a little overweight (16,5 oz) due to the bigger size (root: 10,8", uncut wingtip: 5,1", wingspan: 37") and a bigger battery (1500mAh), but it is still able to climb vertical with a 7x5 APC Prop.

robert
Robert77 is offline Find More Posts by Robert77
Old Jul 14, 2009, 06:35 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken hawk
The regular ones that you have are better than the MG90S. I have both on order. I think they will be here by Saturday so I'll be able to test them in the swarm.
If you find that the stock servo arms are good to go the way they are, let me know. Here is the mod that I used. I cut a bigger horn off and epoxied it wrapped with thread that I mentioned above.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:52 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cna91
If you find that the stock servo arms are good to go the way they are, let me know. Here is the mod that I used. I cut a bigger horn off and epoxied it wrapped with thread that I mentioned above.
I usually don't drill the end hole for that reason and start with the second hole from the end.

Lee
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:09 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
Your plane looks great Robert. I have put pictures of all of the planes shown in the first posts of this thread.

Thanks for posting!!!

When are the rest of you going to give us pictures???
Old Jul 16, 2009, 08:34 AM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Okay so its not an assassin but it does have lights on it. I had my wife film this last night. I didnt do any editing (propably should have). I used 2 strips of lights. One is blue and one is white.

Tricopter Night Test Flight (3 min 34 sec)
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:24 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
Quote:
Lee, I went to a night flying event in kaysville last night. One of the guys had an assassin and he had trouble with the center of balance and had to move his battery (500mah) further forward. He had to cut another hole to put the battery in. He said he thinks the covering the elevons with tape makes it tail heavy. Have you tried completely covering the elevons? Do you know of anyone else who has had this problem? I am about to cut the battery hole in my assassin and I am concerned that it may be too tail heavy.
If you don't mind I'm going to also answer this post in the regular Assassin thread because I am sure that others have the same question.

A 500 mA battery is not that big the plane design was originally set up with a 1300 mA 3S lipo. The CF28-12 will smoke that battery (500 mA) if you run it with a 7x6 prop. The motor wants 15-18 amps and that battery just doesn't have it in it.

You won't have much run time with that small of a battery unless you use a BW 1300 motor or something similar. The plane could be built light enough to make the BW possibly the motor of choice if the Assassin was built to be ultra light with little tape and all radio and battery downsized.

The Assassin that is in the building instructions in post 7 and 8 of the Assassin thread flies extraordinarily well did not need any additional weight to balance it. It is set up with a CF28-12 motor, a 30A Super Simple ESC, 2x HS82MG servos and the 1300 mA 3S lipoly.

Part of the reason we left the back half of the wing open EPP rather than taping or covering the entire wing was to keep it light and simple. The elevons are entirely taped on all 4 of my Assassins without any of them being tail heavy. I am even able to fly with the smaller 1050 3S lipos without added weight in the nose.

I have the advantage of having built about 100 of these planes over the years and am careful to keep the tail light every step of the way. I have had some that I had to add weight to the nose.

I think the Pinata instructions in the Pinata construction thread needed 1.5 oz in the nose when I used the coroplast elevons.

I do not recommend moving the battery forward because the foam at the nose is the shock absorber for the battery. I would personally add a little weight at the nose until you can get a bigger battery that suits the motor and size of the plane.

One of the big advantages of going finless is that the weight of the fins tended to make the plane tail heavy. Not having the fins has made it easier to get the CG right.

Good luck.

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Jul 16, 2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 04:28 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,013 Posts
Another video showing the slow speed finless stability of the Assassin with launching and landings by a lower hours flyer.

Cool video Ryan. I like your what ever it is. Give us a link. It looks weird enough that it might be something I would build.

What camera and editing did you use?

Assassin #9 (2 min 42 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Jul 17, 2009 at 09:29 AM.