HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2009, 04:31 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Discussion
In Your Future: A 39 MPG Car

I'm looking forward to all the Smart cars leaving lots of room for my minivan in the parking lots.
Quote:
New cars and trucks will have to get 30 percent better mileage starting in 2016 under an Obama administration move to curb emissions tied to smog and global warming, sources said Monday.President Barack Obama was expected to adopt the higher mileage standards on Tuesday, administration sources said, speaking on condition of anonymity ahead of the official announcement.

The new requirement will mark the first time that limits on greenhouse gases will be linked to federal standards for cars and light trucks.

While the 30 percent increase would be an average for both cars and light trucks, the percentage increase in cars would be much greater, rising from the current 27.5 mpg standard to 42 mpg starting in 2016. The average for light trucks would rise from 24 mpg to 26.2 mpg.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30810514/
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Last edited by Big Foot 48; May 20, 2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Was 42 mpg until actual number was revealed
Old May 18, 2009, 04:33 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Obama's administration sacrifices human lives in it's quest for environmentally proper goals.

These standards will kill people.
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old May 18, 2009, 04:42 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
We heading toward a Cuba-like automobile society, where everyone keeps their old cars because they like the space and protection, and fewer buy trucks because their supply is being limited via higher prices in order to keep the fleet MPG results where the government dictated they should be.

I expect my Honda Minivan will be worth in 2016 what I paid for it in 2007.
Old May 18, 2009, 04:47 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
I think the right should form a legal entity to back class action suits to hold the federal govt responsible for damages due to requiring mileage standards like this when they full well know it will result in smaller, more dangerous cars.
Old May 18, 2009, 04:48 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
I'm sure you guys don't believe this but I don't think the government should be telling us what MPG our cars ought to be getting. The price of fuel will be the dirving force in making that determination for each of us, depending on our own financial situation. That said, I really think we need to rid ourselves of oil dependancy but that's a choice we have to make on our own. Maybe in 2016 gas will be $10/gallon and your Honda minivan, (like mine) will be considered to be gas hogs.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old May 18, 2009, 04:52 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
I think the right should form a legal entity to back class action suits to hold the federal govt responsible for damages due to requiring mileage standards like this when they full well know it will result in smaller, more dangerous cars.
I call BS on that - smaller cars are not more dangerous - its simply untrue. What is true is that in your truck or SUV you are statistically just as likely to be hurt or injured in an accident as someone in a smaller vehicle, you are more likely to kill the occupants of the other vehicle if you ram it in the accident.

Large does not equal safer, you just feel safer.
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Old May 18, 2009, 04:56 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Quote:
Oh, we need to use the transitive property again when assigning blame for car accidents. Yeah that makes sense. You aren't responsible for your car accident, the government is because they wanted the industry to make higher gas milage cars. Maybe the government should make everyone drive Hummers because that's the biggest safest car made. If they don't they are sure to get slapped with a class action lawsuit from the right.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old May 18, 2009, 05:04 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,616 Posts
Already got a 40 mpg car and it cost me a total of $3200 after putting in a new clutch. Dang shame they could make a 4 door sedan that got that mpg 12 years ago and now they are just breaking that barrier again at much more on the price point.

250K plus miles on it and still making the daily run to work and 100 miles each way to ATL once a month or so.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old May 18, 2009, 05:15 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
I'm sure you guys don't believe this but I don't think the government should be telling us what MPG our cars ought to be getting. The price of fuel will be the dirving force in making that determination for each of us, depending on our own financial situation. That said, I really think we need to rid ourselves of oil dependancy but that's a choice we have to make on our own. Maybe in 2016 gas will be $10/gallon and your Honda minivan, (like mine) will be considered to be gas hogs.
hey, so long as that $10 is the free market price and not an artificially induced price due to State interference, I'm right there with you
Old May 18, 2009, 05:16 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
Oh, we need to use the transitive property again when assigning blame for car accidents. Yeah that makes sense. You aren't responsible for your car accident, the government is because they wanted the industry to make higher gas milage cars. Maybe the government should make everyone drive Hummers because that's the biggest safest car made. If they don't they are sure to get slapped with a class action lawsuit from the right.
no, that also creates legal liability for them, from the opposite direction. the best thing for them to do is stay out of the mandates and thus have zero moral responsibility for the outcomes they cause. .
Old May 18, 2009, 05:16 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
If the government can get the average MPG up significantly, then the taxes they add to fuel to fund health care and other government spending won't hurt so much. They have a plan, and we're the lemmings.
Old May 18, 2009, 05:20 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Obama's administration sacrifices human lives in it's quest for environmentally proper goals.

Pretending for a minute the false assumption that more fuel efficient cars are also more dangerous cars...

"MtnGoat sacrifices human lives in his quest for ideologically proper goals.

These standards will kill people."

The difference in the altered quote? Mine is factually correct.

Not that advocacy of people being killed in the service of an ideology is particularly unique to MtnGoat. He simply only minds when it's not his ideology that results in people being killed.

But if .Gov was run on his ideology, he thinks the resultant deaths would be acceptable.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old May 18, 2009, 05:23 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
Pretending for a minute the false assumption that more fuel efficient cars are also more dangerous cars...

"MtnGoat sacrifices human lives in his quest for ideologically proper goals.

These standards will kill people."

The difference in the altered quote? Mine is factually correct.

Not that advocacy of people being killed in the service of an ideology is particularly unique to MtnGoat. He simply only minds when it's not his ideology that results in people being killed.

But if .Gov was run on his ideology, he thinks the deaths would be acceptable.
of course they would be 'accceptable'. Life is risk and it sucks for everyone, but deaths are inevitable.

However, in what I support,they would not be the State's causal responsibility.

there is no question that ideologies have results in unintended consequences. there is no 'no death' option.

what there is an option for, is having the State hold the causal responsibility for their deaths, as opposed to not having it hold that position.
Old May 18, 2009, 05:24 PM
United States, CA, Pinole
Joined Jan 2009
776 Posts
Quote:

Sweet Buddha man...give it a break.....all respect to iwanna but you're giving him a run for the "Fundamentalist Fruitcake Award" with all your diatribe.

Maybe get a hobby..I hear R/C vehicles can be a hoot

imgumby
imgumby is offline Find More Posts by imgumby
Old May 18, 2009, 05:25 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
I see no one else giving their ideology a break. warn them all first, then come talk to me.