HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2009, 01:40 PM
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Sep 2005
51 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum AR6200 Bind Problems

I am still getting used the Spektrum module in my Optic 6 and spektrum receivers. I encountered some isses binding my AR6200 and thought I would share the lessons learned.

I had just installed a new module in my Optic and proceeded to bind to the AR6200. I followed the standard procedures but the receiver would not bind. When the transmitter was turned on the receiver lights would turn off, the remote receiver light would go solid and then both receivers would start blinking again.

Thinking it may be a problem with the receiver I tried an AR6250 and it bound just fine.

So then I tried a new AR6200 and it would not bind. Eventually I got both receivers to bind.

Lessons learned:
1. Keep the Tx a couple feet away from the Rx when binding.
2. Make sure both the main and remote receiver antennas are perpendicular to the Tx and not pointing directly at it.
3. Use a good battery I usually bench test with a used 9v battery. The 9 volt I was using to bind must have been too low and when the receiver tried to bind it was pulling too much voltage out of the battery causing the process to start over.
scubasmyth is online now Find More Posts by scubasmyth
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2009, 02:02 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasmyth
Lessons learned:
1. Keep the Tx a couple feet away from the Rx when binding.
2. Make sure both the main and remote receiver antennas are perpendicular to the Tx and not pointing directly at it.
3. Use a good battery I usually bench test with a used 9v battery. The 9 volt I was using to bind must have been too low and when the receiver tried to bind it was pulling too much voltage out of the battery causing the process to start over.
Point 1 is valid (except that Spektrum says three feet), but the other two are not.

Point 2 should not make any difference unless you are too close in the first place. Then antenna orientation could matter, but only because the signal is too strong.

Point 3 is not correct. The voltage, as long as it's within the operating range (3.5-9) should not make a difference to binding. Use a 4.8 or 6 volt battery or the regular ESC or BEC. In particular, don't use a higher voltage with the servos plugged in as many types can be damaged.

The most common reasons for problems in binding are:

Transmitter too close.

Failing to press and hold the bind button before turning on the transmitter.

Failing to wait long enough with the button still pushed for binding to take place (allow at least 30 seconds -- though usually it's much quicker than that).

Mistakes in plugging things in (e.g., reversed plugs)

Defective bind plugs.

Forgetting to remove the bind plug after binding.

Accidentally pressing the bind button on the transmitter.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 18, 2009, 03:04 PM
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Sep 2005
51 Posts
Funny you would mention defective bind plugs as the one I was using was suspect so I got another one.

In regards to the battery, I connect the 9v to the BEC. Once disconnected the 9v and used a transmitter pack the receiver would bind. It wouldn't bind with the 9v probably because it was almost discharged. The same thing would happen with a 4.8v receiver pack if it was discharged.
scubasmyth is online now Find More Posts by scubasmyth
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:40 PM
Rochester, MN
Joined Mar 2010
34 Posts
deleted so I can post on a new "question" thread.
mncowboy969 is offline Find More Posts by mncowboy969
Last edited by mncowboy969; Apr 25, 2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: I'm going to post as a new "question" message.