Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 17, 2009, 11:36 PM
Joined May 2009
8 Posts
Discussion
paint or covering film?

Hi, this is my first time posting, so I am sorry if I put this in the wrong area. I bought a wooden airplane kit, but when I opened the box the fuselage and wings were covered in this covering film sort of stuff, but it looks allot less thicker then covering film. The color of the stuff is white see-through. So my question is, to get the plane to the right color do I paint it or do I use covering film
pilot 09 is offline Find More Posts by pilot 09
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2009, 11:46 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
Welcome to RCGroups, pilot 09.
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old May 18, 2009, 10:22 AM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2003
209 Posts
You can paint some film, but it isn't easy. Search the forums for something like 'painting film'. There are some really helpful threads out there.

It is very difficult to put film over film for large areas. Trapped air forms bubbles and it will look like it has the measles.

You can decorate the clear areas with trim material from the hobby shop. It comes in various colors and sizes. It looks like film but it is thicker and has an adhesive on the back covered with plastic film. You can cut it to many different shapes....stars, sunbursts, stripes, etc. Just draw your design on paper, tape it to a piece of trim, and cut it out with an exacto knife. It doesn't require any heat. Just peal the plastic off and stick it down. Once it touches the airplane covering it will really stick...no second chances to reposition. You should practice making some designs and sticking them down on something before you try the airplane. Decals are also an option to customize your plane.

Lastly, you could strip the film off the airplane and recover with colors of your choice. You would need some experienced help.

These are just some of my thoughts and opinions. Your very best move is to find an experienced modeller. Check out the local flying clubs and fields.
F.Littleton is offline Find More Posts by F.Littleton
Last edited by F.Littleton; May 18, 2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:43 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
pilot 09,

Welcome to the forum.
You already got from F.Littleton the best advice anyone can give you.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 20, 2009, 07:33 PM
Joined May 2009
8 Posts
Thank you, every one for the advice. I was going to post a picture, so it might be easier to know what I am trying to say, but sense I am new i don't know how to post a picture, could someone please tell me how I could post a picture.
Old May 20, 2009, 07:40 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot 09
Thank you, every one for the advice. I was going to post a picture, so it might be easier to know what I am trying to say, but sense I am new i don't know how to post a picture, could someone please tell me how I could post a picture.
After writing your text, scroll down and click "manage attachments", You will see a pop up window with a bunch of "browse", click one and select the picture you want to attach. Click
open" Now click "upload" the pics will show up and you can write captions in the space provided.

Finally click "changes" at bottom center and again click "submit reply"

Try it.

Zor
Old May 22, 2009, 09:58 PM
Joined May 2009
8 Posts
This is what I was trying to describe, so maybe this might help every one get what I was trying to say.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:59 PM
Joined May 2009
8 Posts
Thank you zor for the help
Old May 22, 2009, 11:34 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot 09

Thank you zor for the help
We are here to help people.

Looking forward to read you often.

All the best wishes 2 U de

Zor
Old May 24, 2009, 08:12 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,166 Posts
Thats some interesting looking covering there. Curiously... what plane is it? That info just might help us identify it, and some possible solutions to many questions you might have.

If it's identified, chances are great someone that reads RCGroups will find it.... and likewise, if you do a search on your particular plane you'll probably find very useful info as well.

I'm not a fan of painting film myself.. it just never looks right to me.. but I have seen it successfully done on many planes... so that just may be an option for you. The other alternative is to strip it down and start over with some high-grade film covering such as Monokote, or Ultrakote... but as someone mentioned that definately has a learning curve to it, so experienced help would be needed to insure success(most likely anyways).

So.. bottom line... what kit/plane is it?
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old May 26, 2009, 10:16 PM
Joined May 2009
8 Posts
Its a kit. fokker Dr.1 triplane 1/5 scale made by smart pioneer.
Old May 27, 2009, 01:58 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,009 Posts
Look at this link, click on the "out of the box" photo. Is this the covering? http://www.bealmear.com/dawn_patrol/fokker_dr1.htm
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old May 27, 2009, 09:24 PM
Joined May 2009
8 Posts
Yea, that is it
Last edited by pilot 09; May 30, 2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old May 30, 2009, 01:21 PM
Joined May 2009
8 Posts
So it seems that a primer and paint would get the job done?
Old May 30, 2009, 01:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I've never heard of Smart Pioneer. Where are they located?
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One