HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2009, 09:44 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Discussion
My new Eflite Park 180 powered Parkie

A sheet of Midwest Cellfoam 88, A Eflite 180 motor and about 5 hours of work, resulted in my latest model. I don't have a name for it or even a set of plans. It just sort of happened.

Here is a photo taken after a few very successful flights this evening.
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2009, 09:55 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
New Airplane

I've been flying it on a 3 cell 480mah pack with a 4.5 3 slo-fly prop. It is way way too much power but it was the only thing I had available.

This was my first effort using a KF wing. I must say it preforms very well. I flew it a lot very slow and low tonight with some very steep banks. It had no tendency to drop a wing or stall. In fact I can't get it to spin.

Not sure what the all up weight is? My scale isn't used to weighing such lite airplanes. It has trouble with anything under about 12oz. It wouldn't take a measurment on this one. Lets just say it is very light
Old May 17, 2009, 11:06 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Very nice plane, dude.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old May 17, 2009, 11:24 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
Joined Apr 2007
313 Posts
looks great. whats the wingspan and length?
rc808 is offline Find More Posts by rc808
Old May 17, 2009, 11:33 PM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,621 Posts
Looks like a very easy build. I might try to build it too.
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old May 18, 2009, 06:24 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,339 Posts
Hi Kansascloud,

That is a very attractive model you have created there. The Park 180 is a very powerful motor for its size. I have not yet run mine on 3s.

How about satiating our curiosity with some overall dimensions?

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old May 21, 2009, 11:09 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Update

I have quite a bit of flying experience with this airplane now having logged over 3 hours on it, so here is a little report.

I am extremely pleased with this little airplane. I am particularly pleased with the KF Airfoil which incidently measures 33 inches and has a 5.5 inch cord. While I'm at it....the overall length is 26 inches. The horizontal stabalizer is 9.5 inches long with a cord of about 3 inches. (not including the elevator which is about 1.25 inches wide.

The little airplane handles wind surprisingly well considering it's light weight.

This evening I flew in the street in front of my brother's house because the ball field was busy. The street is lined with old growth trees, light poles and bushes. I was able to fly under the trees and fly patern eights while somehow avoiding everything. Many times the wing tips would only be inches from the ground in extremely tight banks. It never threathtened to snap or stall. (amazing) Because she sets low and has a wide landing gear, touch and goes are easy and fun! I did a lot of that in the street tonight. It also taxis very well.

I bought some foam sheets today and was going to design something different this holiday weekend , but now I think I will build another one of these with a few modifications.

Here are some of the mods I think I will do.

Extend the wings to 36 inches

Extend the horizontal stabalizer and inch on each side

Shorten the cf tail boom a couple of inches to bring the CG a little more forward.

Raise the main gear .5 in and lower the tail skid a little. (might improve ROG performance)

I'll add a slight amout of positive incidence to the wing by angeling the tail boom up just a little.

I will mount one servo forward of the landing gear to move the c.g. a litte more forward.

I will mount the esc on one side of the fuse and the receiver on the other. (too much junk on one side right now)

I'm going to add a couple of small triangle foam gussets to each wing to support it at the fuselage a little better.

I will add a little reinforcement tape to the nose to protect it.

I'm going to replace the standard antenna with a little short one.

I hate to add weight to a model and without it, This model balances just a little toward the aft side. Many of the mods I am going to do focus on movint the C.G. forward a little.

I wouldn't mind if it was just a little slower. That is the reason for adding a little wingspan and adding to the tail. If I don't like it, they can easily be cut off.

That is about it. Hope some of you guys try something like it. I like the pusher configuration. Sure saves the prop and the motor.

3 cells is definently over kill. I normally fly it at less than 1/2 throttle. 2 cells and a lighter battery pack would be nice. Just make sure you build everthing well forward so you don't have to add weight. I think it would make a decent indoor flyer in this configeration.

I will keep you posted if I build a second airplane with the mods.
Old May 22, 2009, 02:02 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
Joined Apr 2007
313 Posts
Thanks for the additional info. Do you know what the auw is? I'm gonna take a shot with a 10gr hobby city motor and a larger prop on a 2cell.
Old May 22, 2009, 08:10 AM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Don't know the weight for sure but I think you are about right. Exactly which Hobby City motor is that? I think I will try one too?
Last edited by kansascloud; May 22, 2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old May 22, 2009, 07:52 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
Joined Apr 2007
313 Posts
It's this one It seems like it would work if it's under 100g.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:00 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Thanks

I'll order a couple of those. Like the 180 but don't like paying $43.00 each for them.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:40 AM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
New Photo

Just took this one last night.
Old May 30, 2009, 08:37 AM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
778 Posts
kansascloud: Looks like you have a winner on your hands This will also make a great Indoor Flyer! How much dihedral are you putting in the main wing? Also, I assume that the KF step is 50 percent of the wing cord. Can you provide some Fuselage and Vertical Fin / Rudder measurements

Thanks
Sixter
Sixter is offline Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Jun 03, 2009, 10:34 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,145 Posts
That plane is just stupid-cute...please post a video for us, and plans soon..
Neil
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Jun 03, 2009, 11:29 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Measurments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter
kansascloud: Looks like you have a winner on your hands This will also make a great Indoor Flyer! How much dihedral are you putting in the main wing? Also, I assume that the KF step is 50 percent of the wing cord. Can you provide some Fuselage and Vertical Fin / Rudder measurements

Thanks
Sixter
Sorry I don't have a decent video camera or I would post a video for you. I assure you, if flys REAL good. Here are some measurements though. Wingspan is 33 inches with a 5.75 cord and about an inch and a half diehedral. The length is 27 inches form nose to the tip of the rudder. The horizontal stabalizer measures 10 inches it is 4.5 wide from the leading edge to the tip of the rudder.

I am building the second one of these right now, with some good improvements (I hope) If you think this one is cute, you haven't seen nothin yet. It is the same exact shape however I've patterned the fuse to look a lot like the Bell X-1. I know, you'll have to see it.

I am also working up the plans as I build so I can post the plan of the final version. Yes, step is at 50%. I wouldn't hesitate to just build one off my photos. I'm sure anything remotely close will fly as well or better.

Mike
Last edited by kansascloud; Jun 27, 2009 at 10:42 PM.