HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2009, 03:45 AM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,221 Posts
Discussion
Fly Fly going 4 meter DG808

For all the Fly Fly fan..they just released the DG808...looks like the Elan.
Aerofever is not showing on his website but is one is on the Fly Fly home page..

Hobby88
MartinL is offline Find More Posts by MartinL
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2009, 08:17 AM
The Far East
Joined Jan 2006
853 Posts
Interesting! I wonder how much it will be. On my gotta get one list.
suirendoujin is offline Find More Posts by suirendoujin
Old May 17, 2009, 08:23 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,586 Posts
Hi guys there is a build thread running on RC NETWORK.

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php?t=138194
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old May 17, 2009, 12:26 PM
Joined Mar 2009
3 Posts
and another things here http://forum.modelisme.com/viewtopic.php?id=178625&p=2
and here http://www.airstage.ch/index.php?opt...=74&Itemid=148
enzold is offline Find More Posts by enzold
Old May 17, 2009, 07:03 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,938 Posts
Weight a mere 78lbs! (joking)
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old May 18, 2009, 06:41 AM
Joined Mar 2009
3 Posts
7.8lbs ???
Old May 18, 2009, 01:47 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,884 Posts
3.5kg = 7.71lbs..... for a 4-meter glassie? I'll believe that when I see it.
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old May 18, 2009, 02:16 PM
Joined Mar 2009
3 Posts
me now, wings with winglets and two servos 700 gr/pces, fuselage alone 970 gr and canopy 105 gr
Old May 19, 2009, 05:21 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,740 Posts
Hmmm.....Nice, but looking at those pictures, I think I'll wait till they straighten out that fuse servo tray
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old May 19, 2009, 05:45 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,824 Posts
I just assembled one of these for skipmillermodels.com, who will be bringing them into the US. I think they'll be selling in the $400 range and it's a great model at that price. It did come in just under 8# ready to fly. I installed an aerotow release in the nose and we towed it a couple of times. Flies fine, though a bit sluggish on the ailerons.

The wing is a built up structure, with some hefty (about 3/32") balsa sheeting, covered with white film.

Overall, it's a lot of model for the $$$.

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old May 19, 2009, 05:46 PM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
2,884 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm.....Nice, but looking at those pictures, I think I'll wait till they straighten out that fuse servo tray
I noticed that, too!

Don't expect too much from these kits. The paint cracks with any stress overloads, the boom is probably twisted (though easily straightened with heat), the wings usually have too much flex and the plastic film covering tends to bubble up and separate, and there is an overall feel of cheapness when compared to the higher-end, gel-coated epoxy stuff from Germany and the Eastern bloc. You get what you pay for. My DG1000 is looking pretty ragged after only a couple of seasons of casual flying. Looks nice in the air, though!
Old May 19, 2009, 05:50 PM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
2,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970
I just assembled one of these for skipmillermodels.com, who will be bringing them into the US. I think they'll be selling in the $400 range and it's a great model at that price. It did come in just under 8# ready to fly. I installed an aerotow release in the nose and we towed it a couple of times. Flies fine, though a bit sluggish on the ailerons.

The wing is a built up structure, with some hefty (about 3/32") balsa sheeting, covered with white film.

Overall, it's a lot of model for the $$$.

Lenny
Okay, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. This one sounds like a much nicer model than my DG1000, or my FlyFly Speedy and Freebird.
Old May 20, 2009, 03:33 AM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,221 Posts
DG1000 is 1st generation of Fly Fly scale gliders, if u look the at jump in build quality between the DG and the Condor..they have learnt alot. They do not use Gelcoat..it is some sort of heavy paint which crack easily. Fun Per $ spent Fly2 is good value for money.
MartinL is offline Find More Posts by MartinL
Old May 20, 2009, 11:41 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinL
Fun Per $ spent Fly2 is good value for money.
Not if these are $400 it's not. The HF kits with sheeted wings are only about $100 more than that and they are great kits. I've had two of them. I've also worked on those 4M chinese Discus kits. Those too started out around $400 when they first hit the market. Now they sell for about $150. At $150 they are ok for the money spent. At $400 they are not. We will have to wait and see on these but my suspicions echo dgliderguys'. I doubt they are worth $400 with those weak glass fuses, thick layers of paint and the other common problems these kits all seem to have.

TFLG
(who likes a cheap kit but will not be spending $400 on a flyfly unless it's close to HF or S2G in quality)
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old May 30, 2009, 06:58 PM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Jun 2004
164 Posts
Hi guys

I just got one of those kits and do not really agree with you.

Fuselage: I was impressed. Very nice layup, seamless and painted using 2k paint. On other models I often had to put 2 layers of fiber cloth to strenghten thr structure, but on the fuselage there is no need. and I love the seamless fuselage, way better than the HF DG-505 I owned. In the interior there are already formers glued in, all the parts are laser cut.
Negative pointa: There is a wheel mounted, but due to the glued in formers it would be very hard to put a retract. the other point is the weak canopy frame made of abs, which has a poor fit on my model.

Wings: Straight, well made, I do not like balsa as sheeting but I planned anyway to glass the wings with a layer of carbon or fiber (80g). The winglets are painted too and are well made. I was impressed by the quality of the iron-on film. Very well ironed, but the film is too transparent for my taste.
Negative point: The wings come in two parts. The outer panel (about 12") are having joints I would not trust, they are too weak. The idea is not bad for easy transport, but I am not sure about the strength. I will glue them before glassing the wing.

++ price
+ elevator mount
++ fuselage quality
- - canopy frame, material and fit
- Weak jointer for the outer panels

regards, chris
cgraf is offline Find More Posts by cgraf