SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2009, 03:20 PM
dover, kent, UK
Joined Apr 2003
405 Posts
Discussion
Mantua Models Double - Anyone Built one?

Like the title says anyone had one of these? I bought one new from the importers at a bargain price. I'm all geared up ready to build it but weighing all the wood and components having a second thought as it looks like 5lbs or maybe more. I have a YS 45 2 stroke, mini pipe and a 10 x 7 3 blade pusher prop - btw it looks like a semi-scale Republic(?) Seabee, at least the same type of configuration. Check out www.mantuamodels.co.uk
Braddock, VC is offline Find More Posts by Braddock, VC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Braddock, VC; May 16, 2009 at 03:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2009, 06:01 PM
Seaplane Nerd
Joined Jan 2005
834 Posts
A YS .45 is a really strong motor. Should make 7-8 lb of thrust with little problem.
The website says 3Kg, when I went to school that meant 6.6 lb. Should be OK for pretty good vertical! If it'll spin a 10-7 3-blade it's a Hoss.
JimCasey is offline Find More Posts by JimCasey
Old May 17, 2009, 05:40 AM
dover, kent, UK
Joined Apr 2003
405 Posts
Jim, haven't tried it with the 3 blade as yet, you're right it is a powerful one, quite scary when compared with an OS 46 Fx. I can't for the life of me fathom out how they can up it to 3 kg, it may be because I've removed the land u/c from my list of must haves and there's quite a bit of wire and tubes involved with that.
My major concern was to learn of other folks experience with the model as fresh water flying is miles away for me, and I don't really want to chance it flying from the sea given my crap flying, especially landing, skills.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Reverse Takeover
Old May 17, 2009, 06:01 AM
Seaplane Nerd
Joined Jan 2005
834 Posts
>>I don't really want to chance it flying from the sea given my crap flying, especially landing, skills.<<
Saltwater flying demands more maintenance and forethought about protecting the electronics.
My landing skills improved dramatically float flying.
You have a much longer runway so you don't have to dive at a "spot"
Watch for the reflection of the plane in the water. Use that to gauge your height.
Teach yourself to level off a couple of centimeters high, then just let the airplane settle gently. No bounce..
JimCasey is offline Find More Posts by JimCasey
Old May 20, 2009, 12:22 AM
dover, kent, UK
Joined Apr 2003
405 Posts
Thanks for hat jim, I have an arc cessna 177 that is fitted with floats, I've read up on the waterproofing that's necessay and, after reading rotorheid's exploits, may well try the cessna out over the sea, of which there is plenty hereabouts.
My cessna has an old irvine 61 2 stroke with minipipe and isn't short on power so it's fingers crossed and I'll go for it in a few weeks.
When that's done and I've familiarised myself with the techniques involved I'll turn my attention toward the double.
I'm actually having second thoughts about the power plant for the double, as I have a well run in saito 62 spare that would do the business on the same prop.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2010, 06:32 AM
Joined Nov 2006
15 Posts
Mantua Double

I also have an old Double kit I was thinking of building but using electric power, but getting a powerful enough motor to swing the limited diameter prop is taking a bit of finding. It wont be a long build so I hope to do some flying off snow, it looks like another hard winter coming up. How is yours flying. Did you need such a powerful motor.

Alan
Biggles99 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles99
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:01 AM
dover, kent, UK
Joined Apr 2003
405 Posts
Biggles, like so many projects with question marks over them, it was put to one side. The engine is now sitting in the front of a hangar 9 raptor f 22 waiting for its maiden.
RCG Plus Member